Summer Motorcycle Vacations...Where to this year?

Options
Good morning everyone! So this weekend, me and my DH planned our annual week long motorcycle vacation for August (so excited!). Last year we toured the Canadian Rockies and this year we are doing a counter clockwise loop through Washington State (well part of it). We live on Vancouver Island. This year will head down the Pacific Coast, the along the WA/OR border to Carson, up to Mt. St. Helen's, then to Mt. Rainer area, over to Ellensburg and up to Twisp (Hwy 20) across to Rockport and end our week's ride in Seattle for a few days before heading home. Has anyone done the road to Mt. St. Helen's (99) or the road to Paradise Inn (Mt. Rainer). Would love to hear about it. Also, where is everyone going this year for their long road trip? Cheers!

Replies

• debneeds2beskinny
    debneeds2beskinny Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a wonderful trip - haven't done that by motorcycle, just 4 wheels. We are planning a ride from north Florida up through Northern Georgia. going to Andersonville to visit the Civil War museum (prisoner of war camp) and just enjoy the northern hills of GA. We just did a short run, 1,000 miles roundtrip, to Billoxi from north Florida over to the gulf coast and followed the coast line. I love that ride!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Sounds like fun. You'll be skirting by my town. Portland. If you get anywhere near us, let us know. I'll throw a steak on the BBQ and keep a chilled glass for you and yours.
  • eplerd
    eplerd Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Sadly I have NO PLANS for a long trip this year

:sad:
  • debneeds2beskinny
    Options

sometimes those spur of the moment "day" trips are really awesome too! just get on and ride!
  • eplerd
    Options

sometimes those spur of the moment "day" trips are really awesome too! just get on and ride!

Oh TRUST ME - we DO!!
    St Augustine, Mt Dora, etc....even ridden to GA on a whim...

I just wanna do a month long trip or longer!!
  • dsl01
    dsl01 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Long trip?
    For me, yes and no.

The road bikes will stay close to Tn. this year ,but myself and a few others are loading up the dual sport bikes and trailering them to Colorado for a week of offroad riding in the Silverton, Ouray area. Much more gravel and dirt than pavement, but I understand the scenery and area is awesome. Prepping the bike (and myself!) now for this kind of riding, and am really looking forward to it.

Can't wait.
  • eplerd
    Options
    Long trip?
    For me, yes and no.

The road bikes will stay close to Tn. this year ,but myself and a few others are loading up the dual sport bikes and trailering them to Colorado for a week of offroad riding in the Silverton, Ouray area. Much more gravel and dirt than pavement, but I understand the scenery and area is awesome. Prepping the bike (and myself!) now for this kind of riding, and am really looking forward to it.

Can't wait.

For some great trail ideas take a look at the Colorado Back Country Discovery Route maps online!
    THEY ARE FREE

ATTN MODERATORS: this is NOT an Advertisement - it is a non-profit organization that I have no financial stake in and I will reap no benefit from posting the link below!! (Had to post that 'cuz I got a nasty-gram for posting a link to a nudist organization in another thread as a joke!!)
    http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/COBDR

These guys go out and map a route from state to state staying mostly on forest roads.

Dave
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    dsl01 you will LOVE that area. It's just spectacular!

Our longest trip will be up to the rally in Red Lodge MT in July. We'll explore some of Wyoming on the way up and back... exact route to be determined as we go, but you can bet that Wind River Canyon and parts of the Bighorns will be on the menu.

We have smaller trips to Farmington, NM, Aspen, CO, Rocky Mountain National Park, and Cripple Creek CO on the docket. We're moving in June so that's going to keep the big rides from happening.
  • ColoradoDogMom
    ColoradoDogMom Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    No plans for a long trip this summer:cry: Hubby tore some muscles in his shoulder, so even day trips are out for now.......thinking healing thoughts.
  • ColoradoDogMom
    ColoradoDogMom Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'll see you in Cripple Creek!
  • baddbob
    baddbob Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I usually get a couple long, but quick ones in. I'm going to head to Southeast Missouri from Orlando, 1,250 miles and 19 hours, one way to put on a BBQ for a Boy Scout Camp Staff over the second weekend of August. I do two back-to-back Iron Butts in a row, one going and one coming back with a day rest in between. I ride it like I stole it. I just added a 4th Harley to my stable this year, so I'll be riding in comfort on a 2014 Ultra Limited. I've already decided I'm trading it in on the CVO version when the 2015 models come out. I put around 30K on my bikes a year.
  • tmanfromtexas
    tmanfromtexas Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I usually get a couple long, but quick ones in. I'm going to head to Southeast Missouri from Orlando, 1,250 miles and 19 hours, one way to put on a BBQ for a Boy Scout Camp Staff over the second weekend of August. I do two back-to-back Iron Butts in a row, one going and one coming back with a day rest in between. I ride it like I stole it. I just added a 4th Harley to my stable this year, so I'll be riding in comfort on a 2014 Ultra Limited. I've already decided I'm trading it in on the CVO version when the 2015 models come out. I put around 30K on my bikes a year.
    Bob,
    When does the new CVO's coming out? My wife and I are planning on buying one this fall to.
  • cbarn025
    cbarn025 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I ride a crotch rocket so no long trip for me. :(
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I have friends who live over in the midwest who ride. I would like to take a trip over to see them and do a track day or two with them.
  • debneeds2beskinny
    Options
    just finished a weekend trip up to Americus, GA. to visit the Andersonville POW Museum and the Civil War Prison camp. Truly a powerful place to visit. I would get political here and say some of our government leaders need to go there to see the true definition of a POW, but I won't. Anyway - a nice day long ride up and back, all back roads and beautiful small southern towns. Good Friends, good riding and a wonderful visit.
  • eplerd
    Options
    I'm new to this, and I'm a bit nervous about a long trip on my bike. I'm not sure if I'll enjoy it or not. Lol. There's no way to know except just go do it. Santa Barbara, CA wine country is just about a 2 hour drive from me, and I could turn around and come home the same day, so I might do that just to get my feet wet on long trips (although I realize that's not a long trip). The cool thing about Santa Barbara is I can take the beautiful California coast Highway 1 all the way up.

I'm also nervous about my bike. It's only a 650 and I'm not sure it can handle long trips. I may need to upgrade before venturing out too far. I thought it would be plenty of bike, but I'm finding it needs more power on the freeway. It's kind of maxed out at 75.

Jerry,
    I saw LOTS of 650's out on the road when I rode up to Alaska in 2011!!!
    The key would be to AVOID interstates, besides they SUCK for scenery in most places!!
    Stick to US Highways and stay out of the fast lane and you'll do fine!

Like the Nike ads said -- JUST DO IT!!

PCH certainly IS a wonderful highway:

DSCN4211-M.jpg
    DSCN4234-L.jpg
    DSCN4250-L.jpg
  • debneeds2beskinny
    Options
    ^^^Good to know man. Thanks. Yeah, who needs interstates anyways?

We avoid freeways/interstates unless we are trying to make time to get somewhere. Then we do them early morning hours so the traffic isn't a total nightmare. To me its all about the ride to the destination. My first long trip was about 250 miles - I had an 800 Intruder. I think i was scared the whole time, but after that trip I learned the ins and outs and really started to enjoy the long rides. just be safe and drive like everyone is out to get you! (because in Florida they are)

have fun!
  • ProudAirforceWife
    ProudAirforceWife Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this, and I'm a bit nervous about a long trip on my bike. I'm not sure if I'll enjoy it or not. Lol. There's no way to know except just go do it. Santa Barbara, CA wine country is just about a 2 hour drive from me, and I could turn around and come home the same day, so I might do that just to get my feet wet on long trips (although I realize that's not a long trip). The cool thing about Santa Barbara is I can take the beautiful California coast Highway 1 all the way up.

I'm also nervous about my bike. It's only a 650 and I'm not sure it can handle long trips. I may need to upgrade before venturing out too far. I thought it would be plenty of bike, but I'm finding it needs more power on the freeway. It's kind of maxed out at 75.

My first long trip was last year through the Canadian Rockies and I did with a Suzuki S40 650 and it was great, and I was nervous just like you. While it did make me realize I wanted to upgrade (my husband rides a Suzuki V-Strom and now ride a Honda Shadow Phantom), I had no problems touring on the bike and it handled the long trip just fine...I was very proud of that bike. I also agree with what debneeds2besk says, about the hwys/interstates, only use them when you have to!

Next year we plan to do California coast line...can't wait.

Safe riding!