training with a heart rate monitor?

Options
pobalita
pobalita Posts: 741 Member
do you do it?

I'm just getting ready to start training for my second marathon - Chicago in October. I already run about 25 - 30 miles per week and do at least one half marathon a month. I thought I had marathon training all figured out and was going to use HH's Intermediate 1. However, I just purchased Matt Fitzgerald's marathon nutrition book and saw that his training program includes runs in various heart rate zones along with the weekly long run. I'm intrigued and wondering if I've been doing it wrong by just going out and checking off the mileage on other programs.

Before I go out and buy a heart rate monitor and completely change the way I train, I'd like to get some feedback from others who use - or don't use - a heart rate monitor and why. I'm slow and I'm not competitive, but I would like to finish the marathon feeling stronger than I did after my first one. Would training with a heart rate monitor help, or is it something that only more serious runners would use?

Replies

• MelisaBegins
    MelisaBegins Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have never trained with one because I'm so basic and bare-bones with my training (finally just got a Garmin - the very base model - that is huge for me! :) Anyway, I have always trained using my RPE - I push it when I can and try to always leave a bit in the tank for the end.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I use a HR monitor to help gauge my level of effort. For me, it's a better indicator than pace most of the time.

I started using one while cycling before I started running so it was already part of my training.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I train with a Garmin Forerunner 220 and I love it. It made a huge difference for me when I first started running. I don't train with it in the sense that I try to hit a specific HR, but I use it as a good guide for effort and my pace. It's been one of the best investments I've made.
  • tjw00
    tjw00 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I never run without one. Can't imagine ever being without it.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    I still use my iphone apps for all my other tracking but I did invest in a basic Polar HRM - just the watch and the monitor as I wasn't sure at first if I would stick with it. After having used it for all of my marathon training this spring, I can't imagine running without it. Although I am trained well enough to feel the basic differences to run without it, I would highly recommend using one for marathon training.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I love mine, don't go anywhere without it. It's a much better way to gauge my effort than how I "feel".
  • actlc
    actlc Posts: 84
    Options
    I always try to run with HRM. I did one yesterday without it and i feel my run was not complete.

with HRM, I can plan my effort for the run and I can better compare my runs with similar effort.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I have one, but I only use it occasionally, and then only to collect data. I run by perceived level of effort. I think it's important to be tuned in to your body.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I stopped using mine because it was wildly inaccurate (like 30 to 50 bpm off). The user manual says something about having to push a reset button when you change the battery. My wife did it once, but it's way too small for my eyes and fingers.

I just take my pulse when I stop for lights and at the end. I can count it while running, but that's distracting.