Benefits from a deload

Options
SezxyStef
SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
So after 6 (almost 7) months of lifting I have had to deload my share of times. Either due to form issues, failure, injury or vacation and each time I have found there to be benefits that far outweight the kick in the pants I may have felt (and I did due to my first deload from failure)

So in order to encourage and hopefully help new lifters from getting discouraged I thought I would start this thread to give the benefits I have had from my deloads and I hope other women in this group will chime in as well. I may even add as I remember them.

Regardless of the reason for deload here is what I have found.

I got to work on my form at much lower weights cementing in why things like ATG are important. It is so much easier when you are at a lighter weight to correct little issues and literal cement in what you are doing. Even prior to this deload I did for form as I wasn't getting low enough, dug out my box to make sure but then that almost became a crutch. This time no box...just made sure I was low as I could go.

10% deload doesn't sound like much but those extra reps at lower weights have really helped my strength even at my deficet. Today the 115lb Bench wasn't an issue and my husband didn't need to be there each time to spot me.

After my 2nd deload I realized that my weighted collars would be the best bet as I upped my weight, 3.5lbs isn't a lot but really it is when we are talking about OHP for women.

I think as well it helped me get in tune with myself...my rest periods are mid range but when I feel my 4th set a bit iffy on the last couple reps I realized it was okay to up my rest time for the last set...it wasn't a crime. This isn't a sprint and me getting done 15-30 secs faster isn't helping me in anyway but that extra time is.

This final deload made me realize too that I am glad maintenance is almost here...up my calories and watch the weight on the bars go up will make me smile...not that I am not smiling now as I am pleased with my weight loss progress but it is hampering my lifts I know that...

This last deload on my squats due to the injury in nov..made me realize it is more important to heal than it is to push and push yourself to the point of well reinjury...

Last but not least I have learned deloads don't mean failure....it means another chance at success...so ladies for those who are new to this lifting thing I hope this has helped a bit if you haven't had to deload yet and if you have I hope you take as much from my lessons learned as you can.

Please add your own if you have had different experiences than I have. I would love to hear from others...and learn myself.

Stef.

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I deload all the time. It is no big deal to me. It just gives me a chance to fine tune things so I don't injure myself. I never see it as a failure as I am still getting my *kitten* to the gym and lifting heavy things.

I want perfect form over high lifting numbers.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I have had to deload a number of times and this time I think I finally get that for me it is not about pushing though to get the higher numbers Mehdi is always on about it is about making lifting a routine. It is better to lift the bar than to not lift. It is better to do bodyweight squats than to not squat at all. This is not a race. My joints, tendons, and sometimes my brain need this flexibility.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I always find that deloading is really giving myself a little bit of a break mentally and physically. I get to go back to working on form and build myself back up. It is also nice to know that when I have to deload because of failure, I am pushing myself as hard as I can. I think of it kind of like running up a slide, sometimes you need to step back and give yourself another run at it.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! I haven't had to deload yet, but I think I will be on my next OHP to fix my form. It's nice to be reminded that deloading is not failure, but progress!
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! Sometimes it's hard to remember that deloading actually serves a purpose.
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    My OHP is ridic! I have went up and down already its nuts. I really am just trying to focus on form and feeling out my body. Thanks for this post Steph. I needed it this week.

On an up note- I hit a Crows Pose in Yoga on Tuesday. I know that it is partially contributed to some of the strength I have gained from lifting. I felt confident in my arms holding the balance- before they were like jello trying to hold that balance. It felt really good. The girl next to me was watching and said after- That shes just too weak to do it... I told her I was too...and its def. possible!
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I think i'm going to have to deload a bit on my squats (boo) because my form is wrong. I actually had someone at the gym (another woman in the weights section!) come up to me and tell me that my form is off and I may end up hurting my back, because she did the same thing when she was starting to lift heavy. I kinda figured my form was a bit screwy, and it sucks to know that i'm not doing it right and probably need to deload to practice doing it RIGHT, but at least i'm gonna prevent myself from getting hurt. :)
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. Going to de-load my squats again to deal with a weird pain.
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I had a deload session today as felt in my excitement to increase the weight each workout I was neglecting my form. It was great, definitely worthwhile.
  • grapaj
    grapaj Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thx for this. I have been considering deloading on my squats as I know my form is getting wobbly.

Question: after deloading do I gradually increase again, as I have per the 5x5 program?
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Thx for this. I have been considering deloading on my squats as I know my form is getting wobbly.

Question: after deloading do I gradually increase again, as I have per the 5x5 program?

Yes you do exact same way.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    To show how true the benefits are from a deload..I deloaded on my Bench and Rows...I have worked up again and finally yesterday not only did I get past my deload weight I am up on both lifts past what I deloaded on.

It feels great.
  • coleeli
    coleeli Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My OHP is ridic! I have went up and down already its nuts. I really am just trying to focus on form and feeling out my body. Thanks for this post Steph. I needed it this week.

On an up note- I hit a Crows Pose in Yoga on Tuesday. I know that it is partially contributed to some of the strength I have gained from lifting. I felt confident in my arms holding the balance- before they were like jello trying to hold that balance. It felt really good. The girl next to me was watching and said after- That shes just too weak to do it... I told her I was too...and its def. possible!

Same for me! I was really excited that I held crow pose the other night as well. :) I know it's because of Stronglifts.
  • lax2luv
    lax2luv Posts: 4
    Options
    Yes! I probably deload way too much, but I'm a perfectionist and really work hard on my form. I'm a few months in and not lifting extremely heavy (70 to 80 pound squats, 120 pound deadlifts and 40 to 50 pounds for everything else), but am still seeing "results"! Slow and steady. :)