Newtons or Altra's?

Options
So...I think I want to branch out a little on shoes. I want something that will help me have better form when I'm running...

I've heard good things about both Newton's and Altra's. What is appealing to me on the Altra's is the "foot shaped toe box", I have somewhat wide feet, so it seems like these would fit me well. However, I'm a little nervous on going to a completely zero drop.

I don't know a whole lot about Newtons, but I've also heard that they are good for forefront running.

I'm currently in Brooks Ravenna's, Cascadias, and PureCadence. I also have one pair of Saucony Peregrines, but am easing into those as I got an injury while wearing them (although I'm not actually sure they are what caused the injury).

A little background on my running - I run about 30-50 miles per week depending. I do long runs of 20+ miles every other week, with 10-15 on the between weeks. My weekday/shorter runs are generally 5-8 miles. I do a mix of trails and roads...but would probably get road shoes or all-terrain shoes to start out with.

Obviously, if I do switch to one of these shoes, I know I need to ease into them.

Any advice?

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Hi Knavery,
    I wear the Zero Drops.
    Usually, I have to wear Nike Pegasus, because they are one of the few running shoes that come in a double e or wider. I have very wide feet. I do not like New Balance, the only brand that offers different widths in many shoes, because they are too cushiony and squishy for me.
    But I always wanted to have minimal shoes because I am a natural forefoot/midfoot runner. (I bought a pair of Nike Frees almost as soon as they came out -- when everyone was still pooh-poohing the idea, saying they were going to cause injuries -- because the idea of being able to use your foot and foot muscles more when running just made sense to me.
    My problem was that I have had many years of plantar fasciitis. So, I wasn't exactly sure how a minimal shoe was going to work if I had to have a supportive-type insole i my shoe for my arches.
    Anyway, I could not resist and I bought a pair of Zero Drop and I put Superfeet insoles in them. I absolutely love them. They are definitely wide enough for me and, even though I have supportive Superfeet in them, I still feel like I am getting the benefit of a minimal shoe -- ie, that it is easier to stay up on my forefoot/midfoot and therefore my leg muscles, all the way up, are recruited more naturally.
    I would recommend them to anyone, and everyone.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    So...I think I want to branch out a little on shoes. I want something that will help me have better form when I'm running...

I've heard good things about both Newton's and Altra's. What is appealing to me on the Altra's is the "foot shaped toe box", I have somewhat wide feet, so it seems like these would fit me well. However, I'm a little nervous on going to a completely zero drop.

I don't know a whole lot about Newtons, but I've also heard that they are good for forefront running.

I'm currently in Brooks Ravenna's, Cascadias, and PureCadence. I also have one pair of Saucony Peregrines, but am easing into those as I got an injury while wearing them (although I'm not actually sure they are what caused the injury).

A little background on my running - I run about 30-50 miles per week depending. I do long runs of 20+ miles every other week, with 10-15 on the between weeks. My weekday/shorter runs are generally 5-8 miles. I do a mix of trails and roads...but would probably get road shoes or all-terrain shoes to start out with.

Obviously, if I do switch to one of these shoes, I know I need to ease into them.

Any advice?

I've been running in Newtons since soon after I started running. I started with the SirIsaac and now use Gravity and will be switching to the Motion in the future. I'll switch because, AFAIK, the Motion is the Gravity shoe minus that extra rubber on the heel which I don't use (mid footer).

Interesting that you bring up the Altra because that brand caught my eye reading through Running Times this week. It's got a lot of features that I like, including one feature of the Netwons that I don't like - the price tag. Newtons are a very well made shoe and that's a price driver, but the Gravity s $175 per pair. I bought a couple of pair when the 2013 model was being phased out for about $100 per pair.

There are lots of shoes to pick from and, though I'm not a big fan of Runners World, you might check their site for the shoe buying guide. The chart is pretty informative.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Both of those represent a big change from your average running shoe. I would try and demo a pair on a run before committing to anything.
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have some trail Altras. I like them for shorter runs. I do not have the courage to get the more cushioned Torins and try them for marathon training. I wear Saucony Virratas and Brooks Pure Flows for the road miles. The Brooks are reliable. My primary trail shoe are the Peregrines. I don't know anything about Newtons.
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If you order Altras online, be sure to check the quality on them. I've ordered three pair of Altras over the years and have had to return two of them due to manufacturing defects. Yeah, really.

I can't say one way or the other about Newtons. Never owned them.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I've never tried Newtons, but I love my Altras. I have really wide feet, so the wide toe box is excellent for me. There's some information in the box about how to transition to zero-drop.

I put 20 rough miles on mine the day I got them and they felt great the whole way. I wore them in my 40-mile race with no blisters or any other foot problems. I've got 400 miles on them now with no obvious signs of wear (except for a small hole in the upper where a toe rubs).

Since I liked them so much, I ordered two more pair online. Thanks to SillyC2, I now have to go inspect them. :tongue:
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I have been running in the Newton Gravity for a little while now and like it. It took a little while to get used to the lug under your foot but I don't even notice it now. I have never seen or worn an Altra so I have no clue how it compares. The Netwons are definitely a shoe you need to try on and see what it feels like. It is a pricey shoe just to try out.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    In for comments. I'm about to make the jump from Brooks Cascadia to Altra Olympus. I hoping that they, along with me losing weight, will help my knees survive higher mileage.
  • zchastain
    zchastain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have about 1500 miles on Newtons. I started with the Sir Isaac (transitional shoe - smaller lug, more "drop") then moved on to their flagship shoe, Gravity. Once I got used to the feel and migrated to a midfoot strike that takes advantage of the lug design I won't go back to anything else. My annual mileage has been increasing so this year I got a Gravity and a Motion (their stability version of the Gravity) just to get something with a different feel to alternate.

Never tried Ultras.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of altras, one cushy and one minimal. The cushy pair I don't like at all, but they are roomy up front. The minimal pair is also pretty roomy and I do like that pair.

If you are looking for room, you might want to look into Mizuno's, as well. They have plenty of room in the toe and fit nice and snug on the heel.

My primary shoe is the Saucony Virrata, which can be too snug in the toe for some. I wear a size larger than my regular shoes and have no problems.

All the shoes I mentioned are zero drop. I transitioned to them over a period of months, working them into shorter runs here and there. If you take your time and work on your leg strength, you should be fine. See Fitzgerald's Brain Training for Runners for an excellent strength program.

Runningwarehouse.com is an excellent resource for shoes. Check out the liquidation page for some great deals. I have another pair of virratas on the way as speak (my fourth). This pair will be my NYC marathon pair!

Also, see Runblogger.com for some excellent reviews.

Good luck!
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I started out running in Vibrams - and ran almost exclusively in them for the first two years of my running. (I do have a pair of NB Minimus Trails for trail running). As I started building the miles this year toward my first marathon I realized that I would need some cushioning.

I also have worn Altras as casual shoes (The original Instinct model). I like them a lot - the wide toe box is great - so when I wanted to start adding in some cushioned shoes I got a pair of Altra Torins.

The Torins were a BIG disappointment. They are pretty well cushioned, and have the same great toe box, but they are REALLY stiff in the sole - very little bend/flex. I ran about 30 - 40 miles in them in the hopes the soles would loosen up, but no such luck.

Finally, I went looking for other shoe alternatives as well... and ended up with a pair of Skora Fits. So far, I am in love with this shoe. Moderately cushioned, zero drop, wide toe box (maybe not quite as wide as the Altras, but plenty of room) and still VERY flexible.

They are worth considering as an option - something between the Brooks Pure series and something ultra minimal like VFFs.