Nutritional Goals & Values

Options
kalyrra
kalyrra Posts: 672 Member
So, I was "custom" setting up my food goals, and I realized I wasn't entirely sure what to set some of the stuff at! So I did some research in an "eating for pregnancy" book I have and here's what I set mine for:

Protein - 20% (which amounted to around 75 grams, book recommends 71)
Carbs - 50% (188 grams, book recommends 175)
Fat - 30% (50 grams)

I read that fat is supposed to be 25-35% of your daily intake for pregnancy, so I set it at a middle of the road percentage. The carbs seem awfully high, and I never hit it... but carbs and I are not good friends anyway, so I'm not too concerned. (I know not all carbs come from bread and such, but still....)

I am definitely having a hard time getting enough protein. :grumble: Does anyone use protein powder?

I also seem to have a hard time hitting my 1000 mg of calcium daily, even though I eat yogurt, have milk, cheese, etc... does anyone else take a calcium supplement? Is that recommended? There's about 150 mg in my prenatal vitamins, but even with that, I don't think I'm hitting close to 1000.

Replies

• hiba_84
    hiba_84 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My Dr. prescribed Vit D and Calcium supplements (other than the multi vit tablets) since i was about 14 weeks.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    Make yogurt and milk a regular part of your day, it will help with calcium and protein.
  • stephysd
    stephysd Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    My doctor did not prescribe, but I am not a milk drinker so knew I would not be getting near what I needed for calcium intake. I started taking a calcium chew twice a day and the doctor was fine with that.
  • HeyNikkita
    HeyNikkita Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I take a protein shake several times a week. I make them with milk, banana, PB, and cocoa. It ends up being approx 30g per shake. I have a hard time meeting my protein macros too. I always meet my fat intake...

ETA: I have been using Now Unflavored Whey
  • meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I make a protein shake or eat a protein bar, but not every day. Usually on days that I work out. I try to eat eggs and turkey sausage most mornings for breakfast. I eat avocado every day and usually some form of cheese. Lately, its been mozzarella chunks in homemade caprese salad! YUM!!! I don't eat a lot of bread, but I use these wraps....I forget the whole name but they are Lavish wraps. A wrap is only 100 calories and 10 grams of protein right there! I usually will load it with veggies and maybe some lunch meat. Snack on hard boiled eggs. Eat broccoli. (It has calcium and protein). Carrots/celery and hummus.

I've been avoiding peanut butter b/c its so high in calories (and i eat a LOT, so I have to eat eat lower cal stuff...lots of veggies!), but you can throw some in a smoothie or eat it with a banana or apple.

Cottage cheese with fruit is really good! (I like canned manderin oranges, though I don't like all of the sugar in them). Sometimes I thaw salad shrimp and throw them in with the cottage cheese and cocktail sauce. Sounds gross, but my dad got me hooked on it years ago! Great protein food right there! lol

I hope some of those ideas help! :)
  • kalyrra
    Options
    I make a protein shake or eat a protein bar, but not every day. Usually on days that I work out. I try to eat eggs and turkey sausage most mornings for breakfast. I eat avocado every day and usually some form of cheese. Lately, its been mozzarella chunks in homemade caprese salad! YUM!!! I don't eat a lot of bread, but I use these wraps....I forget the whole name but they are Lavish wraps. A wrap is only 100 calories and 10 grams of protein right there! I usually will load it with veggies and maybe some lunch meat. Snack on hard boiled eggs. Eat broccoli. (It has calcium and protein). Carrots/celery and hummus.

I've been avoiding peanut butter b/c its so high in calories (and i eat a LOT, so I have to eat eat lower cal stuff...lots of veggies!), but you can throw some in a smoothie or eat it with a banana or apple.

Cottage cheese with fruit is really good! (I like canned manderin oranges, though I don't like all of the sugar in them). Sometimes I thaw salad shrimp and throw them in with the cottage cheese and cocktail sauce. Sounds gross, but my dad got me hooked on it years ago! Great protein food right there! lol

I hope some of those ideas help! :)

Thanks! I used to love eating scrambled eggs, but right now the smell turns my stomach. But I completely forgot about boiled eggs... duh! :noway:

I don't really eat peanut butter either... but more because I don't care for it than just the high calories. Not a fan of cottage cheese... but making some wraps sounds good! I've been eating turkey sandwiches, but if I can cut down on the bread a little more, I'd be happy... so a wrap is perfect! A local store here sells really good low carb wraps, so I'll have to pick up a bag and make some.

I do eat yogurt often, and have milk. I might just add a calcium chew once a day to make sure I'm getting enough. Protein is the hardest one for me, so... I'll try to add some small protein snacks in!

Thanks for the ideas!
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I used to love eating scrambled eggs, but right now the smell turns my stomach. But I completely forgot about boiled eggs... duh! :noway:

I don't really eat peanut butter either... but more because I don't care for it than just the high calories. Not a fan of cottage cheese... but making some wraps sounds good! I've been eating turkey sandwiches, but if I can cut down on the bread a little more, I'd be happy... so a wrap is perfect! A local store here sells really good low carb wraps, so I'll have to pick up a bag and make some.

I do eat yogurt often, and have milk. I might just add a calcium chew once a day to make sure I'm getting enough. Protein is the hardest one for me, so... I'll try to add some small protein snacks in!

Thanks for the ideas!

Taste buds can change when you're pregnant, maybe give the cottage cheese another shot? I HATED cottage cheese right up until my last pregnancy. I think it was a combo of altered taste buds, and finally finding the right brand/fat/sodium content. Canned sardines are another great source of calcium and protein, and another food I didn't like before becoming pregnant. Try some new foods, you may be surprised. I was!
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I crave meat like crazy this pregnancy. At first I resisted, because of the cost of the steaks and such that I wanted. But, when I realized I was low on protein and the Dr told me I was low on iron - I gave in. I now eat a lot of meat and my protein intake is good and my iron is back to normal.
  • emny86
    emny86 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    What steak cuts do you buy? I crave steak too but neither me nor hubby know much about which cuts to buy.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Depends on your tastes. A lot of people like the bone-in steaks. I do not.
    My favorite is sirloin steaks. Lately, I have been buying mostly the thin cut sirloin because it cooks in like 60 seconds and it's uses are so versatile. I use it in burritos, wraps, quesadillas, omelettes and so much more. I heat a pan really hot, melt butter (no margarine!) in the bottom, throw on the thin cut, flip after 30-60 seconds and pull off after 30-60 more. The time variation depends on how well done you want it. Shred/cut/dice it and add to any dish you want.
    For a good eating steak, my go-to is sirloin tip.
  • HeyNikkita
    HeyNikkita Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Porterhouse... you get sirloin and tenderloin in one cut! It's a little higher in price... but gawd... Delicious when cooked medium rare. Crap. We're not supposed to eat med-rare :sad: . A little EVOO, S&P, Garlic powder, and a little flame... :brokenheart:
  • kalyrra
    Options
    I crave meat like crazy this pregnancy. At first I resisted, because of the cost of the steaks and such that I wanted. But, when I realized I was low on protein and the Dr told me I was low on iron - I gave in. I now eat a lot of meat and my protein intake is good and my iron is back to normal.

I've been craving steak like it's going out of style! We get mostly sirloins, as I don't like the bone-in steaks either. My husband loves Tbones. :noway: I actually like ribeyes (once I cut out all the fat, anyway).

I love my steaks medium rare, but I've been cooking them to medium well this pregnancy. I can't handle them cooked completely well, tastes like leather to me! I've been really enjoying strips of sirloin on salad!! :flowerforyou: