Recent sleeve done

Hi, I have just had the sleeve procedure done on April 21. So far I'm doing ok but I'm unsure of what the next weeks hold for me. I am experiencing a huge amount of gas pain. I try to walk around to get rid of some and I've found that actually drinking "food" it helps me get rid of gas too. I'm just nervous of over eating and vomiting. And I'm also wondering when I can safely eat "regular" food in moderation. I do know that my dr has told me that it will be about a month before she'll let me try solid food.
I'm looking forward to hearing from fellow sleevers about their journies. Any advice would be greatful and very much appreciated!!!!!!!!

Veronica

Replies

• sue100194
    sue100194 Posts: 129
    I'm about 9 weeks out and feeling 100% (as long as I remember to eat slowly!). Really, just focus on getting enough fluids and building up your protein amounts with protein shakes or whatever your doctor has you doing. I was nervous about vomiting too but eventually it happened and I learned from it. Regular food eventually factors into your diet again a little bit at a time.
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    My surgeon has 5 food stages post surgery, each lasting about two weeks. She also provided me with a list of foods that were high protein and acceptable for each stage and reinforced the need to have 5 - 6 small meals a day, always eating protein first. A glass of milk is considered a meal. I started using Six Star Whey Isolate Elite in Decadent Chocolate (this has 30g of protein per serving), and it tastes great. I also semi freeze for more of an ice cream consistency. Fage 0% yogurt mixed with Dannon 2X also has an abundance of protein - I freeze this also.

I only got sick once as I didn't think and had a deep fried mozzarella stick - it didn't stay down long and was sick for a couple hours or so. Won't do that again. Had to be the grease along with the consistency of the cheese as I eat cheese sticks almost every day (another great source of protein).

Hope this helps you out and as far as gas, my surgeon suggested I take something like Gas-X. This is a great time to begin measuring/weighing your foods.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Follow you doc's instructions. My post op regime was 2 weeks full liquids, 2 weeks purees, 2 weeks soft food, followed by advancing my diet as I was comfortable. Things started to feel "normal" once I started on soft foods, lunch meat, crackers, etc. keep drinking you r protein and getting your fluids for now and move as much as you can. I didn't really have issues with gas. I did take Tylenol Jr, for what minor pain I had. A little Tylenol might help if the Gas Ex isn't doing the job on its own for you.
  • I recently had my sleeve done this week (4 days ago) and while I'm healing a little more each day, I'm finding that I'm very hungry most of the time but lack any sort of appetite. I've read that many people post-op don't have the sensation of hunger at all, and I'm wondering if this is normal or if 4 days post-op is too soon to tell how I'll be feeling long term. Congratulations to all who have taken the plunge to have weight loss surgery!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    I recently had my sleeve done this week (4 days ago) and while I'm healing a little more each day, I'm finding that I'm very hungry most of the time but lack any sort of appetite. I've read that many people post-op don't have the sensation of hunger at all, and I'm wondering if this is normal or if 4 days post-op is too soon to tell how I'll be feeling long term. Congratulations to all who have taken the plunge to have weight loss surgery!
    The biggest issue is reaching your protein and water intake goals whether or not you feel like it.. If you are reaching your goals You likely are having head hunger. Most of us became obese not because we were hungry but because we medicate with food. When we were bored/stressed/tired/sad/happy we ate. We ate certain foods in certain locations at certain times with certain events regardless of whether or not we were actually hungry. How to tell if you are really hungry. Would you like a 1/4 cup of something very healthy and high in protein? If so then eat. If you are just thinking about prior comfort foods that are not part of your new healthy lifestyle you have head hunger. WLS does nothing for food addiction. I woke from surgery craving inappropriate empty calories. I had to keep asking myself "Why are you thinking about food? You just ate your healthy meal and you are not hungry". Like you said you are"hungry" but have no appetite. Because you likely are not hungry at all. At 6 months out I still have to occasionally stop myself from eating when it is not time to eat and I am clearly on target with calories and protein. For 34 years of my life a default activity for me was eating. Make sure you don't drink with meals or you will wash your food thru and find yourself hungry too soon and grazing all day and gaining all the weight back. Good luck.