Horrible headaches after running longer distances

Options
SarahxApple
SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
I am currently training for a Half at the end of May today I did 11.2miles (longest I have run so far) but for the second time after a longer run (first time was 10miles) I have had a pounding/vice like death grip headache. I ate breakfast before the run (yoghurt, protein powder, banana, chia seeds) and I had a glass of water before and I drank 300ml during the run, it wasn't particularly strenuous chatted all the way with a friend. I had some coconut water with pineapple afterwards (within 15mins of stopping) and then I have continually drank water all day, I used to have blood sugar level issues when I exercised I now have that under control through my diet so it's not that. Does anyone have any advice? Should I be drinking more before? I am worried about needing to pee (I think I have the world's smallest bladder).

My apologies if this has been posted a 1000 times before.

Replies

• AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I get those if I don't hydrate well enough before the run. If I am doing the math right you had a glass before the run and 300ml is about 10oz during the run. If I did that I'd guarantee myself a headache. Every body is different but I have found with mine I can't go run a long run without having had at least 32oz before hand (yes, this means I've learned I have to get up early, but it's better than headaches). I tend to drink 16oz during a long run, sometimes 20. Then I down a glass of water when the run is over.

Fair disclaimer, I am nursing a 6 month old so my fluid needs might be higher than avg, but at least to me I think you might be under hydrating. Hope someone else has other input for you.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. My hydration starts 2 days before I go on my long run. I am finishing at least 64+ ounces of water both of those days and usually at least 16-24 ounces before the run (this includes 2 cups of coffee as well). During I usually down about 16 oz each hour, plus whatever electrolytes I have decided to try that day (usually gatorade or powerade) and then a 16 ounce bottle immediately after the run.
  • actlc
    actlc Posts: 84
    Options
    My first few long runs (7 to 11 miles) gave me headache too. Besides the hydration needs, I believe my body had not adapted to the long run yet and was over-stressed.

Since those first few long runs, I haven't gotten much headache anymore.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I always duck into 7-11s to go pee or into a Dunkin' store to potty. Or where ever if you need to go. Don't be shy, drink that water and dash into somewhere if you need to pee. Yep, they will look at you funny but who cares! People do it every day in "regular" clothes why not running clothes?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I always duck into 7-11s to go pee or into a Dunkin' store to potty. Or where ever if you need to go. Don't be shy, drink that water and dash into somewhere if you need to pee. Yep, they will look at you funny but who cares! People do it every day in "regular" clothes why not running clothes?

Those people who stare, I usually give them a "Keep eating your ho-ho" look lol.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I get headaches after any run more than 5 miles, or any run that's really hot. I'm horribly dehydrated all the time (trying to fix that), so that's what I'd chalk it up to. To avoid: just drink water before, during and a TON after your run. And I usually take a single ibuprofen and a Tylenol as a precautionary measure when I return from my run.
  • SarahxApple
    Options
    Thanks guys, I figured it was something as simple as that, I think I am so concerned about needing to pee that I am not drinking enough, all day today I have been thirsty so I think that's definitely it. Will make sure to hydrate the day before as well next week.

Will definitely just dash in where I need to and not worry so much, you're right people do it all the time.

:smile:
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I'm with the others and think it's a hydration issue. Your hydration during run itself may be fine, but drink up the day before you long run so you don't start in the hole. Also, continue to push the fluids for hours after your long run. I used to get really bad headaches when I would go more than about 20 miles until I learned how to better handle it. It can still happen if I get lazy though! Run safely out there.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    It may not be hydration. On hot days I will sometimes get a headache that I can clear by eating some pretzels or another salty snack.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    It may not be hydration. On hot days I will sometimes get a headache that I can clear by eating some pretzels or another salty snack.
    I was thinking this too. On my long runs I end up covered in salt crystals from the sweat even on nice days. I usually get something salty to snack on after my long runs. Otherwise, I will get a headache.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

I agree. In the summer I eat some potato chips and feel better.

With having to go, I drink 25 oz or more before long runs and stop an hour before. I go probably a few times and once right before I start my run and drink whatever, I don't keep track while I am running. I am usually ok to make it to the end.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Could be lots of things; a little caffeine helps me. I used to get exertion headaches from spending too much of my run in the anaerobic zone. They would come on like migraines. Could very well be dehydration or low electrolytes too... Take care of yourself!
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Add me to those that think this could possibly be an electrolyte issue.

I love this product called Nuun - it's electrolyte tablets that you can put in your water. There are close to zero calories in them. If the Nuun tastes glorious, you're probably low on electrolytes. If your electrolytes are too high, it will taste kind of gross. You're female? If you read around, there's been some controversy lately over electrolyte use, with SOME people saying they are unnecessary for distance runners. The unfortunate thing is that those conclusions are drawn from studies done mostly on men, and women have a lot more going on because we retain fluid differently during our menstrual cycles. So it's worth a try to see if it makes your headaches go away.

As for peeing... yeah, donut shops, portajohns, McDonalds, bushes behind foreclosed homes.....
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Is it after a specific amount of time you're on your feet that the headaches occur? I tend to lean in the blood chemistry/electrolyte category as well.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Happens to me a lot. Take IB profein... The headache isn't going to last forever. Take something for it and tell yourself it'll be over soon. It's kinda like if you worked a 16 hours day staring at a computer, you'd likely get a headache.

You're doing something your body doesn't like/isn't used to. It's just a headache. I've ran 6 marathons in the past year, headache probably after every one. But I get headaches a lot!
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You should weigh yourself before and after a run to see how much you are losing. This should be repeated (same distance/time different times of the year where it may be hotter/colder). This will aid in accounting for how much water you should be consuming, etc.

I used to get bad headaches when I go on long distance cycling trips in the summer. The summer heat is hard to bear as it is, but if you are not well hydrated it makes it even worse. I believe headaches are symptoms of heat-related stress as well.
  • SarahxApple
    Options
    Thank you again, I am going to do the same run this weekend, so will make sure to drink more beforehand hopefully that will prevent the headache, if it doesn't will try the electrolytes/salt thing next time. May just be a case of trial and error, just a bit miserable to come from that 'I feel so good 'cause I ran further than I ever have before' feeling to 'OMG my head feels like it's being crushed'.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Your body will let you know you are getting dehydrated before crippling headaches set in.

If you are thirsty, drink something. If not just keep running.
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Your body will let you know you are getting dehydrated before crippling headaches set in.

If you are thirsty, drink something. If not just keep running.

Exactly - I'm suspicious that it's really dehydration and not hyponatremia.

My husband and I used to do a lot of backpacking. Sometimes, we'd have trouble finding a water source and we'd look around, around, around, and we'd really honest-to-goodness get dehydrated. I've HAD that headache from dehydration before, but lemme tell you, it took hours to get to that point and during those hours I'd be crazy thirsty. As soon as we'd get water we'd guzzle it and the headache would disappear within minutes.