What to do Now?

Options
OnionMomma
OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
I just finished an intermediate 10K training schedule and am doing my first half the first weekend of October.

What should I be doing in the mean time before I start full tilt for my half training?

I have no problem running 5 to 6 days per week as that is pretty much what I'm doing now.

The last two months I've done just over 78 miles each month. Should I keep up with the 78 miles per month thing until I need to start my half training?

FWIW, I broke my 10K record by 2 mins today!!! I went from 1:05 to 1:03 this morning on the same exact course! And it was hot today!! (last time it was freezing!!!!, almost literally!)

Thanks!!

Replies

• pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I would either 1) enjoy your spring and summer and do some more 10K races and go for some new PRs until you start your half marathon training schedule, or 2) find a half marathon that is sooner and start training for it now. No reason you can't do two this year!

Good luck on your half!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I have been dropping down to about 75% of what I was doing at my peak week during the training period and maintaining that until jumping into the next one...allow my legs to recover a bit and relax from the heavy running it had been doing. Just what I do, lol.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Yes, keep the volume up. Increasing your mileage would be even better.
  • OnionMomma
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am pretty sure I will keep up the running and try to stay around the 80 mile mark per month. I have found another 10K but it's not until the end of Sept.

I will look around and see if there is a half somewhere in the summer that isn't too costly. (due to later registration) I bet I can find one.
  • OnionMomma
    Options
    I found this one on May 31st. http://www.halfmarathons.net/usa_half_marathons_virginia_run_for_the_dream_half_marathon.html

Would that be too soon? That's only a month. My longest run I have done for my 10K training was 8 miles. I did it in about 90 mins a nice slow pace. (I stayed around a 12 mins mile pace with my husband (he's slower) and then took off for home around a 11 min mile pace. At the end of last summer my longest run was 9 miles.

The next race after that that will be close enough to me is the Rock and Roll half (which I have a couple of people begging me to do with them....LOL) Which would be this one: http://www.halfmarathons.net/usa_half_marathons_virginia_rock_and_roll_half_marathon.html

It's on Aug 31st but would put only a month between the RnR and my Oct. half, seems kinda close.

My expectations are NOT to be fast, I know that will not happen. I've put myself in the 3 hour corral for the October half. My goal right now is just to finish.

I've been running for about 2 years but just this last summer and through winter (and yes, I ran outside all winter) I having been working on it seriously, increasing miles and trying to get my mins per mile down to 10 which I'm just right there.
  • erichunley
    erichunley Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You should be able to complete the half. Just run it for fun. If you are running an 8 mile long run now, you should be able to bump it a mile a week to 11-12 miles over the next three weeks. Then start your taper. If all else fails you can walk/run for the half. Another option is to just start increasing your miles at a rate of about a mile per week and treat the half as a long run. Enjoy yourself and soak in the sights. It's supposed to be a pretty course.
  • OnionMomma
    Options
    ^^Yes I think that would be reasonable. I could keep up my miles during the week like I am not and do a 9 miler this next weekend and add a mile every week until then and should do great.

I think I might.....my husband is gonna kill me!! LOL Oh and maybe I can convince my Momma to do it with me. After all, she did just finish doing the 10K training with me so it is a good time to dive in and get a pretty run out of it.

The Williamsburg area is soo pretty. We enjoy driving up there and going to the Farmer's Market they have during the warmer months (right about now)
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Do it!!! Half Mary's are addictive. I have run 5 in the last 7 months. I think you can be trained properly for the one in May ????????????
  • OnionMomma
    Options
    I am sooo ready to hit the enter button on that half on June 1st!!! Now my Momma (who runs with me) is cheering me on!!!!

The only downside, she will be out of town.

I really think I'm going to register for it. I have heard (locally) that it's such a pretty run through historic Williamsburg.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'm totally loving running HMs for fun. Yeah, you're paying for a training run, but whatever.
  • EEfromJersey
    EEfromJersey Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I would continue as your going and gradually increase miles maybe throw in some 5k's for speed 10k for endurance by the time the HM training comes around you'll be ahead of the game.