Embarrassing Question

Options
PatrickB_87
PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
Ok so maybe not so embarrassing given that this is a health group for the overweight and most of use are rediscovering exercise and all its difficulties. I do have a question of how others are dealing with chafing. Walking for 2-3 miles is a big part of my daily routine now and the chafing of the thighs is becoming killer. I'm use to so chafing at this point given my weight but the usuals don't work. I don't want it to get to the point where its to painful to walk and i start skipping.

I'm just wondering if any of you have suggestions of products you have used to deal with this if your dealing with it at all. I've tried baby powder and Vaseline. I'm thinking compressions shorts are the answer and am wondering if anyone has used them or had and success with them?

I just want to enjoy walking and the only burning i want to fell is in my legs.

Replies

• scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I only exercise in capri length leggings or longer bicycle style shorts. In other words tight around my thighs. I haven't had any chafing problems.

Even when I swim laps, I prefer to have on a pair of swim shorts that are tight and bicycle length to prevent thigh friction.
  • cekennon
    cekennon Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I also wear biker shorts or capri leggings. But also try Monistat has a gel powder chafing product. Its fabulous. There is also a stick like a deodorant stick but it is for chaffng - have to get the name - but use either with the biker shorts

Awesome on the walking!!!!!!!!! I have to get out there - wish I had a walking buddy
  • Kourui
    Kourui Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I hate shorts cause they just ride up and give wedgies. I wear long pants or capri's. Skorts I find don't ride up as much either. But baby powder helps me for chaffing as before and after care.

My biggest problem with long distance walking is my feet! It takes forever for the poor things to recover from the swelling and pain. Sometimes it can keep me up at nights. Ice buckets are my only resort but it's a damn painful process. Any one else have better ways to shorten the healing time on swollen feet?
  • PatrickB_87
    Options
    Hi Kourui,

Compression leggings or sock should help with swelling and reduce the time it takes to recover. I wear them on long hikes in Yosemite and they have always helped. They keep blood and fluid from pooling in your legs and feet which reduces the welling and fatigue.

have you also tried using leg and/or foam rollers before and after workout to relieve tightness. I have both and the hard roller ( a long flexible plastic stick with round long hard plastic beads threaded on it) works wonders on soar mussels and stiffens the next day. It really digs into the muscles and messages them (not always in a pleasant way).
  • PatrickB_87
    Options
    Sounds like bike shots or compression shorts are the way to go. I've tried baby powder and creams but i just sweat to much while walking and they only ever seem to hold up halfway through the walk.
  • julieworley376
    julieworley376 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Reading through this I concur that pants are the only way to go for me. And reading through these made me think once again.. wow.. we just take all this as a part of our lives. Chafing is something we have to deal with on a daily basis. Along with sweat rashes etc. Do you think that perhaps we never stop to think that although this is normal for us, it is no actually normal?

I long for the time when I can finally wear summer dresses and sandals with no tights, no pants, no tights and absolutely NO compression socks which I have to wear all through summer and they get unbearably hot and itchy by the end of the day.
  • melissasue0317
    melissasue0317 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I bought some compression pants from old navy. They were decent price and didn't "compress" too much to where it is uncomfortable. I wear them under shorts or capris during workouts. BIG difference!
  • lindabeth333
    lindabeth333 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I just wear regular capris and yoga pants but I was having problems chafing under my arm when wearing a certain bra - which now is in the garbage - and I also used the Monistat chafing gel (Amazon) and it worked great.
  • KarenZen
    KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Junonia used to sell a short that was a tight fitting biker short inside a regular loose short. Very stylish. I think it was made from their wicking fabric, which pulls away moisture.

Check their website--they probably still carry them.

Just checked... here's the link. http://www.junonia.com/On-The-Go-Dual-Layer-Short.html

I love junonia--they specialize in activewear for large women. Finally , a company that knows that athletes come in all sizes! They can be pricey but have good clearance deals.
  • PatrickB_87
    Options
    Along with sweat rashes etc. Do you think that perhaps we never stop to think that although this is normal for us, it is no actually normal?

I'm reminded every time i have to haul up my tight onto the bathroom counter to apply baby powder that this is not normal and that this is not good. My body is physically hurting me because theirs to much of it in the way.

The day I can put the baby powder bottle back in the corner of the drawer will be a milestone that only we will be able to understand.

I went ahead and ordered a pair online, I don't think its something i could go into a store to purchase, and am rush shipping them. Till they get here i will cut down my walks to one mile, as that seems to be the length i can go before the pain sets in.

I went with Aero tech as they make sport ware for larger men and women and had a size that looked like it will fit me. I look forward to some sweet release.