Do you ever feel guilty?

I have noticed that I feel guilty that when I eat I feel full. When I was dieting in the past, I rarely got to feel full. So when I cheated on previous diets and ate enough to feel full,,I would feel guilty of course. I have just had a boiled egg and feel plenty full but I also feel like I am doing something sneaky. Mind games I know.

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    I don't feel any guilt at all when I feel full. I know that when I eat now, I eat so that I can function, not to pass time or stuff down any emotions. I think our minds definitely play tricks on us though. Certain things, like feeling full, trigger old feelings that remind us of old habits. Before surgery I made sure I worked on my emotional issues related to food. I stopped feeling guilty, and I stopped aiming for perfection. One thing that helped me immensely with this was logging all of my food here on MFP. It took any emotion out of what I ate, whether it was the best choice or not, and made it a number on a page that I had to fit into a larger number (my total calories for the day). We just have to catch ourselves so we don't slip into old unhealthy mindsets about food and eating!
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    I don't feel any guilt at all when I feel full. I know that when I eat now, I eat so that I can function, not to pass time or stuff down any emotions. I think our minds definitely play tricks on us though. Certain things, like feeling full, trigger old feelings that remind us of old habits. Before surgery I made sure I worked on my emotional issues related to food. I stopped feeling guilty, and I stopped aiming for perfection. One thing that helped me immensely with this was logging all of my food here on MFP. It took any emotion out of what I ate, whether it was the best choice or not, and made it a number on a page that I had to fit into a larger number (my total calories for the day). We just have to catch ourselves so we don't slip into old unhealthy mindsets about food and eating!

I hadn't considered that the food journaling takes all the emotion out, but it totally does! As long as I'm hitting my protein\carb\fat\calorie totals there's no reason to have to over-analyze my choices. I LOVE that!
  • jogawa15
    jogawa15 Posts: 34 Member
    My goal is to stop before feeling 100% full I learned early on that with this procedure just one bite could put me past the point of being full. I watch my portion sizes eat small bites chew chew chew and my goal is to stop at 80% full. I have gotten pretty good at it. Snacks is what I have to watch so I again use portion control. I need to log I find myself slipping in this and that when I log I am more accountable good luck!