1st 10k-To run or not to run

Options
ninav1980
ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
I have never ran anything longer than 5k's but always said I wanted to try and tackle a 10k. I run 2-3 times a week, each time only running 5k's. My other fitness routine consists of bootcamp every Thursday and PT sessions every Monday and Friday. I would say I am in decent shape. There is a 10k in my area in 2 weeks. With no training, do you think its wise to just jump in and go for it? Its not like its a marathon, and, I do stay active all the time. Part of me says, I should just go for it (quite honestly, running 5k's is not that hard for me, so I think I could push myself)

Thoughts?

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'd say you could finish one given your fitness level, but I'd at least try to get a 4-5mi run in the weekend before. They are a bit more forgiving than a 5K in pacing, but you have more time and effort that you need to manage.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'd say you could finish one given your fitness level, but I'd at least try to get a 4-5mi run in the weekend before. They are a bit more forgiving than a 5K in pacing, but you have more time and effort that you need to manage.

I agree.

I would also strongly suggest slowing down.
    No doubt you can cover the distance. It just might not be as fun :laugh: Worse comes to worse, you can always walk a bit.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    just ran 6 miles this evening! Looks like I am good to go for a 10k :)
    I guess it also means I need to step it up when I run instead of stopping at my usual 3, lol

@SonicDeathMon just tried my new garmin watch, love it so far!
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    You can totally do this! Just slow your pace down so you can last the 6.2! Let us know how it goes.
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Of course you can no bother to you!

I had never ran at all then signed up to do a 10k last june, the few wks before it I did a few half hearted laps round where I live and stuck at my usual areobics/ spinning classes.

It was a bank hol mon I was working nights so worked until 7am then got a bus to dublin at 11 hung around for ages then started the race at 2pm. 74 sweaty minutes I crossed the line and was completely and utterly hooked :) I've done tons of 10 k's since, a half marathon and my first 5K recently.

My first one was packed, Dublin is a small city and 40,000 women were pounding the streets which was handy because it meant we walked the first 2k then went v. v. slowly for the remainder. My friend who is an experienced runner set a really gentle pace for us and it was great.

Go for it, and report back and let us know how you got on!

p.s. I had to go back to work that night too, sooo glad I have since changed jobs
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you? It's 6.2 miles. Do you think you could run/walk that distance. After reading the words "boot camp", you'll be fine... I used to take total conditioning & insanity type classes a lot. They are just as hard if not harder than running. You'll be fine to finish. You're Probsbly in great shape. Just don't try to win it or anything lol
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I guess it also means I need to step it up when I run instead of stopping at my usual 3, lol

Now you know you can do it -- next job is to try to do it fast!!!
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Go for it
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Good deal :) I approve, even though you have a nicer one than me