Tale of two races

Options
This past weekend I impulsively chose to run a 5K on Saturday and a 10K on Sunday. The 5K was put on by my club and I just wanted to pick up my trophy from a previous race and do a trot, and the 10K was put on by Panera Bread, my most favoritest food place ever :)

5K - I did a 4mi warm up run with my running group at 7am, and headed over to the race site for the 9am start. I was feeling very good, and felt I could manage a PR'ing effort. I wanted to stay around 6:16min/mi.

My splits were 6:18, 6:21, and 6:30. The fatigue of my 11 day streak caught up in the 3rd mile, and I kept telling myself that I wasn't prepared and that it was ok to slow down. The elevation was gentle, and I got passed by a dude pushing a stroller - ha! However, I know what is in the realm of the possible for me, and that with rest I think I can pull off a 19:30 on my Memorial Day 5K.

19:50 - 27/281 OA, 4/16 AG (they placed 5-deep, still got a trophy wooo!)

https://www.runningahead.com/logs/e5ffddff35f84ba5881bb0816a0f435a/workouts/a2df941717134610bc508c1058c5645c
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/487394856

10K - No significant warm up as I felt any additional activity on top of yesterday would leave me too worn out. I was intending on just doing this as recovery effort, but the results from last year were very mediocre and I felt like I could steal a win :)

Splits were fairly even, 6:55, 6:55, 6:56, 6:49, 6:43, 6:50. The race started on the rubberized track and went out through the neighborhood, and we started together with the 5Ks. I was with 3 other guys behind the bike lead (hey, that's never happened to me before!). Lap 2 for the 10K was very trying because I had to constantly announce my presence to the walkers, and it was difficult to see the signage through them to calculate tangents, plus, the bike lead got a flat tire and DNF'd lol. I felt like I got comfortable with my placement and adjusted my effort in the last split because nobody was behind me for at least 20 seconds. My Garmin time was a minute slower than my official results which has never happened to me, and it was a clear morning. Best part was the PR of course and the huge spread of food :)

41:46 - 4/104 OA, 2/5 AG

https://www.runningahead.com/logs/e5ffddff35f84ba5881bb0816a0f435a/workouts/bb7a8289f4b641ffbfed21cc5ef37a9e
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/488270044

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Damn
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Awesome. What's most awesome is that you had the balls to race two in a row! Nicely done.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I like this. Great weekend and great effort.:drinker:
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Like :)
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    You're awesome! Congrats!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    You know I think you are amazing, super fast, and the effort you are able to put in to weekly races is just unbelievable! That being said, the guy who passed you with a stroller is my personal hero! ;-)
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Sweet! I'm a little scared that someone went sub-20 with a stroller, however.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Sweet! I'm a little scared that someone went sub-20 with a stroller, however.

NO SH1T!

That kid is getting great experience to be a fighter pilot or a Formula 1 driver.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Oh, and there were the 9 and 11 year old brothers... kids of a local cross country coach who back in his day ran a 1:08 HM... the 11 year old did 20:XX and the 9 year old did 21:XX. Insane.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Love it!!! You are amazing:drinker:
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Wow, speedy demons where you live!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    An 8-year old ran a 22:?? local 5k that I ran Saturday! It must be all the hormones in the food nowadays ????????????
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You're some boy. That was some results congrats!