Is my running progress in the right track?

Options
Hi, I am always wondering if my progress in running is slow or on track.

I'm in my 40s (5'7 & weight 135) and started running in Jan 2013 (about 16 months ago). and gradually worked up to about 20 - 35 miles a week.
I am running mostly easy run with occasional long runs & tempo runs (probably once every 2 weeks).
My easy run improved from about 11:20 min mile (last spring) to about 10:30 min mile (now).

My only 5K (elevation 128ft) was last September with time 28:05. (pace @ 9:02)
Recently, my PB 10K on track was with time 55:54 (pace @ 8:57).
My best mile (last mile of my PB 10K) is 7:24 on track but my legs seemed won't be able to move any faster.

Is my progress considered slow? Because I see many runners posted their results running many minutes faster with just a few months training.
I am running about 100 miles a month and would want to run sub 22 mins 5K eventaully. Would that take many years?
Am I doing the running correctly? Any suggestions in better doing my runs?

Your advice is very much appreciated. thanks

Replies

• suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing a terrific job AND, very importantly, you are consistent. You are building mental and physical toughness right now.

You understand that there is no room in your life for injury so you are giving yourself time to adapt and progress.
    Don't compare yourself with others because you are STRONG and only you knows what is best for your body.

I include Tuesday nights at the track and run 400's and 1600's too. The short distance allows me to open up my stride and my lungs. The speed is a great primer for tempo's the next day. Also, try amping up the pace on the last bit of your run/easy days to your sub 22 5k pace. Teach your legs the pace!

I also spend A LOT of time focusing on correct form. It is tiring at first but after a while it becomes easier and more fluid.

Keep it up!!!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Tough question because everyone is different and progress/speed is totally relative.

I started legitimately running in Jan 2013 as well, but I started out with a base of a ~24ish 5k, and all of my runs were at an 8min/mi pace. As you can see in my profile, I didn't log a lot of miles because I was always laid up and hurting. Once I slowed down and built up my mileage to 20MPW (summer 2013), I saw speed gains, and even more so for when I hit 35-40 (fall 2013), and I'm currently working in the 45-50 range.

I also found that timing myself on training runs wasn't very motivating, but signed up for a race? Oh yeah. I feel like equal efforts during training and an actual race are two completely different things. Something about the environment and competitive atmosphere.

Keep doing what you're doing. Work on the little things, and gradually build yourself up and avoid injuries. You're doing fine.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    If you want to get faster sooner, you may need to run just a bit higher mileage than what you are doing now. Most folks around here will say that you need 40-50 mpw to really start seeing gains, but I suspect even doing 30-40 would help a lot.

Once you have a 30-40 mpw base, you can start doing some speed work and see further gains. But for now you probably just need to focus on gradually building an aerobic base and staying injury free by doing strength exercises on the key running muscles.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Bump.

I still feel pretty slow.
    Have just recently ramped up the mileage, got over 100 miles this month. Average speed of runs is about 11 min per mile. Fastest I have ran is 8:55 per mile (that was HARD). I have been running for about a year.

You people with your first 5K in the low 20's-->don't know how you do it!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I conquer with the building weekly volume and adding races into the mix!!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I conquer with the building weekly volume and adding races into the mix!!

Concur also... ????????
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing great. The best thing I ever did for my running speed was to train for a marathon. I took 17 minutes off my half marathon time in a year by doing that and PR'd at every distance in between. Higher mileage is the way to go.
  • actlc
    actlc Posts: 84
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice.

Sounds like a plan to gradually up my weekly mileage more. Last week I actually did a 6 day running streak totally 39 miles. but my legs were pretty tired during most of the runs.

I have to confess though my weekly basketball is getting in my running schedule. I usually don't run day before & the day I play basketball. And sometimes too tired to run the day after. (I played basketball the day after that 6 day running streak and my body was like totally beaten up after basketball)

I love both running & basketball and really don't want to give up basketball. I will have to figure a better schedule to up my mileage.

I haven't done much race yet. I probably should look into more for the coming months. thanks
  • actlc
    actlc Posts: 84
    Options
    Hi davemunger, thanks.
    It would be great to learn what strength exercises to do to strengthen the key muscles.
    Please advice. thanks
    If you want to get faster sooner, you may need to run just a bit higher mileage than what you are doing now. Most folks around here will say that you need 40-50 mpw to really start seeing gains, but I suspect even doing 30-40 would help a lot.

Once you have a 30-40 mpw base, you can start doing some speed work and see further gains. But for now you probably just need to focus on gradually building an aerobic base and staying injury free by doing strength exercises on the key running muscles.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Hi davemunger, thanks.
    It would be great to learn what strength exercises to do to strengthen the key muscles.
    Please advice. thanks

I decided to create a whole separate thread on this -- good question! Here's the thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1271970-strength-training-for-runners