Getting ready for summer

Options
bookworm_847
bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
Tomorrow is the beginning of May and my favorite part of the year. The beginning of May through the end of October/ early November is the best time of year (at least here in the Pacific Northwest, IMO). So I'm going to get my plans together and get going.

I think I'm finally breaking through the wall I hit several weeks back and the scale is starting to move in the right direction again. I'm about halfway through Les Mills Combat, so I'll finish that and either do the next level of it or do a round of Insanity. I'm leaning a little toward doing the next Combat level... it's really helped my depression a lot. Exercise helps, but none of the exercises I've done in the past have worked like that for me. Summer also means lots of yummy fresh fruits and vegetables, so hopefully a little better eating. My sister is leaving at the end of the month, so maybe if I do "have" to emotionally eat, it'll be berries and carrots instead of chips and ice cream.

So, that's the plan. What are you all planning for summer? :glasses:

Replies

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I do much better with my eating in the summer, ate a lot of squash out on the grill last summer, I love cantelope and watermelon and tomatoes from the garden. I like my tuna salads and cottage cheese in the summer. I am out walking late at night in my neighborhood.

I am so sorry about your sister. I don't have any but my Mom had two and they were so close and happy. I am sure it is like a death, such a loss when someone moves away. My daughter moved away years ago and I have never got over it, but she is happy there so I have to accept. SHe just had her third baby so they would probably wear me out if they were here!

Well might as well focus on the good things in life, I was trying on clothes and can wear my clothes, always afraid I cant because it happened so many times but I weigh the same so why not? The best part of weight loss is wearing my clothes! and besides we are not so isolated when we are smaller, we want to get out more and do things. When I am fat I kind of want to stay home and not let anyone see me.
  • bookworm_847
    Options
    Do you get to see your daughter and grandbabies often?

Shopping in your own closet is always a fun treat. Keep at it and I hope you're doing well. :smile:
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm also in the Pacific NW bookworm. We've had some nice warm days this past week. In fact, I took out my shorts & they fit! Now all I have to do is tone up my thighs & legs some & I'm on my way. The dog is going to be happier to go on longer walks now that the weather is better. I'm ready for some continuous sunshine!!
  • brenn24179
    Options
    Evelyn, you sure look good in your picture, don't look your age at all. I know it feels good to fit in your clothes, mine fit this year also and I love it

Bookworm, just read your post and yes I get to see grandbabies but not as much as I would like. Just a few times a year but my son has a daughter here and she is 8 and we see her lots. We get to go to her ballgames now and it is so much fun.
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thanks brenn for the compliment. That picture is about 6 or 7 years old. I'll try to find a newer one where I look closer to my age. My hair is a little longer & lighter than back then.
    I wish I could wave a magic wand so no one will look older or heavier than they are. I'm working on it!
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm a little late to the conversation but for summer I'm planning a glorious stress free summer! I'm going from working 3 jobs to just working my one regular 8 to 5 and that's it.

I'm going to cook and stop eating take out all the time. I'm going to go for lots of dog walks (because one of my dogs gained weight right along with me). I'm going to finally read that growing stack of books that I keep ordering, but never have time to actually read. I'm going to clean the heck out of my much neglected house. And give some attention to my also neglected husband. Paint my toenails. Get my hair done before the roots have an embarrassing amount of gray in them.

Job # 2 is already done. Job #3 wraps up Saturday. So it all starts Sunday! Woo hoo!

Now I just have to find something to wear. Last summer I lost weight and threw away my "fat" clothes. Now I can't fit in any summer clothes and I'm walking around in sweaters when it's 75 degrees out. I will get back into those shorts soon, but for now I'd better get a few inexpensive things to wear.
  • bookworm_847
    Options
    That sounds like some great summer plans! How exciting you'll be just working one job... 3 sounds like a crazy schedule.

I've been getting shorts from Target & Old Navy the past few years, and they have some inexpensive clothes that are comfy and last a long time.
  • brenn24179
    Options
    oh my! three jobs, that is stressful enough to make one gain weight. I know when I went part time I had time to take care of myself and I did much better with my weight. Had time to cook healthy foods. I think I lost about 15 lbs grilling out squash last year. I think weight loss is easier in the summer except for vacations

I have also been thinking about what someone said on my MFP website about creating your own happiness. Only I can make myself happy, no one else is responsible for it. Wow, what a responsibility. Seems to help with feeling down. Giving me something to think about. Now for figuring out how to do this and what makes me happy. Well I love summer walks, bicycling, staying out late on my porch, working part time. I am working on this. I get down having a toxic family especially holiday times and next yr plan on going to a ski resort, spending only a short time with them. Yep, going to create me some happiness, my weight is down, heck I am already feeing happy fitting into my shorts!
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Bookworm - thanks for the suggestion - I always forget about Old Navy.

Brenn- I'm glad to hear that you're focusing on the things that make you happy. Congratulations on the progress you've made.
  • bookworm_847
    Options
    oh my! three jobs, that is stressful enough to make one gain weight. I know when I went part time I had time to take care of myself and I did much better with my weight. Had time to cook healthy foods. I think I lost about 15 lbs grilling out squash last year. I think weight loss is easier in the summer except for vacations

I have also been thinking about what someone said on my MFP website about creating your own happiness. Only I can make myself happy, no one else is responsible for it. Wow, what a responsibility. Seems to help with feeling down. Giving me something to think about. Now for figuring out how to do this and what makes me happy. Well I love summer walks, bicycling, staying out late on my porch, working part time. I am working on this. I get down having a toxic family especially holiday times and next yr plan on going to a ski resort, spending only a short time with them. Yep, going to create me some happiness, my weight is down, heck I am already feeing happy fitting into my shorts!

Congratulations on your progress! I hope you can create all kinds of happiness for yourself. :smile: