Starting Preop diet tomorrow!!

Options
trinity9058
trinity9058 Posts: 149 Member
And I am very excited! I never thought I would be so excited for a diet lol. I have my official surgery date on May 14th. I can't wait! Any tips to get through the next two weeks? Oh, and my diet is two or three protein shakes a day with a lean protein/veggie dinner and I can't eat more than 870 calories a day. Thanks all!

Replies

• sjd06e
    sjd06e Posts: 3
    Options
    I am in the same boat, any tips appreciated! I just got the approval for my surgery, scheduled for May 30th. I start my two week pre op diet on the 16th. Good luck to you! Keep me posted on your pre op progress.

Also, the thing I am most concerned about is when I will be able to return to work. I was thinking about ten days, but was wondering if that is unrealistic? My job is pretty physically demanding and I am on my feet walking all day as I work in a hospital.
  • trinity9058
    Options
    I work in a hospital too!! I sit all day though. I'm only taking a week off unless there are complications of course. Good luck to you too!
  • Ujj7
    Ujj7 Posts: 51
    Options
    I work in a medical office and see patients at a fairly leisurely pace, wondering if anyone has any opinion on whether I could go back in 1 week after sleeve surgery?
  • AdrenilineDad
    Options
    My surgeon told me two weeks min...my job is fairly demanding and long hours. Im sure you will do great on the diet! Leafy greens kept me going when I needed a snack.
  • trinity9058
    Options
    That's funny that you mentioned leafy greens!!! I've been having dreams of spinach salad lately. It must be something I'm looking forward to lol
  • plmelquist
    plmelquist Posts: 42
    Options
    My pre-op diet was only Optifast. Shakes, soups and bars. Appreciate the "real" food you get to eat along the next 2 weeks and savor it, lol. Drink lots of water!!
  • tabithascatena
    tabithascatena Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My surgeon recommended 2 weeks off min as well. My surgery date was 4/22, so I'm into that second week and yes, you DO need it. I sit at my job, always on the computer or phone. I thought I would be back online the second week. Nope. The biggest issue has been fatigue. You are down to approximately 400-500 calories a day. Today is day 11 and I'm feeling good enough to login to check email. Everyone is different though. Just remember this is major surgery, so I would recommend giving yourself the two weeks.

As for the protein shakes, I was on the same diet for few months before making the big decision for VSG. One recommendation, if you get headaches or start to feel really fatigued, my center recommended chicken or beef broth to bring up the sodium levels. It did work.

Best of Luck!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Pre-op I had two weeks of the food my surgeon's office uses for their non-surgical weight loss program and then one week of high protein liquids. And I had to decaffinate myself! I am a coffee addict, so that first week I weaned myself off real coffee by adding more and more decaff to the pot until by the end of the week I was full decaff without any caffine withdrawls. Tips? Increase your water intake (flavored or plain) between meals, because it really does help. And if you have one meal a day, eat the protein and then wait an hour to eat the vegetable/salad portion. I still do this sometimes because it really helps with the urge to snack in the evening.

Time off? I have a desk job and my doctor advised 2 weeks as did a friend of mine who had the lap band. He also has a desk job and was so bored he convinced his doctor to let him go back after 1 week. He said he really felt like he rushed himself and wished he had taken the full 2 weeks because he didn't get a good handle on what he needed to do for food and drink, wasn't really prepared. So I took my full two and when I came back to work I was confident that I knew what I needed to bring for food and drink during my work day and how I was going to get a walk in, etc. It's not that this is extremley hard to understand, it's that we get so much information and at the beginning, changing information those first few months as we heal, that we need time to digest that information and know our plan.

Hope that helps!
  • trinity9058
    Options
    Thank you all! I appreciate the advice. My department only has three people in it and one of them is leaving apparently so when I went to inquire about two weeks instead of one, I was told that we'd play it by ear. Lovely.

Pawoodhull, I would have never thought about eating the protein and then waiting for an hour before eating the veggies. I'm gonna have to try that, I am an awful evening snacker. I already drink a ton of water so I hope that I have that part covered.

Tabitha, thanks for letting me know about the sodium thing. I will keep a look out for headaches and any unusual fatigue. (I have lupus so fatigue is just a fact of life for me.)

I am definitely appreciating the real food lol and I'm only on my second day. I think if I had to do two weeks straight of just liquids, I would go stark raving mad.

Thank you all again. You're a big help!
  • plmelquist
    plmelquist Posts: 42
    Options
    I planned on returning to work at one week but decided to take off 3 more days - I absolutely feel well enough, just decided to milk a little more sick time and take the mental time off. Like everyone said, everyone is different. I didn't use and pain meds and have felt pretty great since about 5 hours after surgery. I have played pool and gone to baseball games/cook outs this week. It's been 6 days. I feel like a million bucks! Good luck!
  • priceless97
    priceless97 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    thanks for that tip! I'm on day one of pre op and I'm starting to get a headache!
  • trinity9058
    Options
    thanks for that tip! I'm on day one of pre op and I'm starting to get a headache!

It gets easier!! What kind of preop diet are you doing?
  • priceless97
    Options
    4 meal replacements and 1 300 calorie meal--it's 1,000 calorie diet.
  • VAR1693
    VAR1693 Posts: 6
    Options
    So excited for you as you begin this journey!! Everyone's so different, but we're all working to the same goal. I started my surgery diet 3 weeks before my surgery. I exclusively drank Premier Protein shakes - chocolate. This worked for me because it took out all guesswork and "thinking". My days are crazy and I travel a lot so I put my 5 shakes on my calendar to remind myself and drank them at the same time each day. Additionally, I started my doctor's vitamin regimen before surgery which I think helped a great deal as I was deficient in several key vitamins and minerals in my "old" diet.

My surgery was on Thursday and I was back working from home on Tuesday - back in the office on Friday. On the weekends since, I've been very careful to take it easy.

My surgery was on April 17th and I cannot tell you how much better I feel already!! This is an amazing journey - there will be ups and downs, but it's so worth it!! I have 242 pounds to lose and as of this morning, I'm down 48.

You're going to do great - just remember why you're doing this and stay positive!!!

Good luck!!!
    Vanessa
  • trinity9058
    Options

That's pretty close to mine except that I only get a maximum of 3 meal replacements. So yes, trust me, it does get easier lol. I actually ran through my office today because of all the extra energy I have from the protein. I'm starting to enjoy myself. You'll do great!!! :bigsmile:
  • trinity9058
    Options
    So excited for you as you begin this journey!! Everyone's so different, but we're all working to the same goal. I started my surgery diet 3 weeks before my surgery. I exclusively drank Premier Protein shakes - chocolate. This worked for me because it took out all guesswork and "thinking". My days are crazy and I travel a lot so I put my 5 shakes on my calendar to remind myself and drank them at the same time each day. Additionally, I started my doctor's vitamin regimen before surgery which I think helped a great deal as I was deficient in several key vitamins and minerals in my "old" diet.

My surgery was on Thursday and I was back working from home on Tuesday - back in the office on Friday. On the weekends since, I've been very careful to take it easy.

My surgery was on April 17th and I cannot tell you how much better I feel already!! This is an amazing journey - there will be ups and downs, but it's so worth it!! I have 242 pounds to lose and as of this morning, I'm down 48.

You're going to do great - just remember why you're doing this and stay positive!!!

Good luck!!!
    Vanessa

Wow!! 48 lbs already! Is that since the surgery or is that from a preop diet too? It's amazing either way! I hope I lose that fast. My fear is that I won't but I really, really, really hope I do. The preop diet is getting easier so I'm hoping it'll go fast for me.
  • priceless97
    Options

That's pretty close to mine except that I only get a maximum of 3 meal replacements. So yes, trust me, it does get easier lol. I actually ran through my office today because of all the extra energy I have from the protein. I'm starting to enjoy myself. You'll do great!!! :bigsmile:

It was an AWFUL day. I'm diabetic and my sugar dropped too low. that has to be what happened because I was clammy, weak, it was a mess I threw up at work--had to leave--and spent an hour and a half trying to drive myself home-pulling over twice to throw up again. My commute is only 30 minutes. I got home last night, ate a chicken breast which took like forever for me to eat, had a vitamin water cause i needed some glucose, and tried to rest. I've got a call in to the dietician but I believe that's what happened.
  • priceless97
    Options
    and then i realized that i didn't take my januvia yesterday because I was out..so this is my fault. I have to pick it up today after work, so I had to stop today's stuff. I'm going to get back on it again tomorrow. All I want is water and soup today anyway. My stomach still feels queasy.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to your diabetes doc? I'm diabetic too and my doc cut my meds way back during my pre-op diet phase.
  • jogawa15
    jogawa15 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Good luck to all of you. Just a few thoughts/ advice

1) I took 2 weeks off the biggest thing like others say is your tired the other is trying to adjust in the beginning only fluids it is challenging. It can be done I know someone who is a nurse she took the weekend off and went right back to work. If you can take the time take it.

2) If you drink any kind of caffeine (soda, coffee and tea) say good bye to Soda and drink caffeine free now in the beginning just getting fluids in is a challenge remove those obstacles now. Also start logging everything start your vitamins and also count the calories and carbs in those some of those gummy vitamins have way too much sugar!

3) write down your goals and what you hope to accomplish take all your photos and measurements one thing that really helped me is I always had a pair of pants that I could almost zip up. When I used up all the sizes I had I bought them from used stores weekly I would try the, on this trick helped me. Go down 6 sizes. Don't go to crazy buying clothes till you reach your goal.

4) enjoy each stage don't be in a hurry. I regret now that I added something's sooner then I should have the longer you can avoid the things you don't need the better you will do.

5) get rid of anything in your house that will tempt you. When you feel like your starving you may cave in. Buy sugar free Popsicles and jello these saved me. Also the protein soups were my savior when I went through my post op it was Thanksgiving and my birthday very difficult but I would think I just can't eat it today. If I think I can Never have something makes me crave it but if I say just not today or not now I handle it better use what works for you.

Best thing I ever did. I also try to take it one day at a time recently still trying to lose the last 12 I ask myself before I eat if this will help me? 90% of the time I am on track making life changes done come easily!

Good luck to all of you! Give me a shout if you need help. I went to California but live in Maui have had little support but recently joined this group :)