UP Calorie Adjustment and MFP "activity" level.

Options
Cuthahotha
Cuthahotha Posts: 3 Member
So my wife picked up the UP yesterday and has been using MFP for a couple of weeks. She specifically wanted to get the UP to get credit for her movement during the day. How ever she ain't happy. Shes not getting any calorie adjustment from UP. I believe she has her activity level in MFP too high.

I run mine at Sedentary and just work off the calorie adjustment and exercise logs from MapMyFitness.

So the question to the crew here. What kind of activity level (bars) would you expect to see (absent sleep and exercise periods) for:

Sedentary:
Lightly Active:
Active:
Very Active:

My thoughts would be along these lines.

Sedentary: Predominately no bar to small yellow bars.
Lightly Active: Some no bar, predominantly 1/2 to full yellow bars
Active: some no bar, and some 1/2 to full yellow, but predominantly orange bars
Very Active: equal mix of orange and red bars.

Second half of the question. If we assumed the "activity" level was more about your steady state metabolism, at what point would the combination of exercise and down time (eg office worker that gets 10 miles a day in walks) cause you to go ahead and upgrade your activity level?

Anyway, just some questions and some food for thought.

Thanks,
Steve

Replies

• shauntelang
    Options
    I have my MPF set to Sedentary. I usually see a calorie adjustment after 750 steps which is about 75% of the goal on the UP band (10,000) steps. If I reach 10,000 steps or 100% of my goal I generally see about 200-250 calorie adjustment just from my steps. I would recommend that she set her MPF to Sedentary and then use her UP band for her steps and ALL of her exercise logging. Hope that helps!!

34293659.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have my activity level set to sedentary, and I don't get a positive calorie adjustment until I hit at least 6,000 steps.

You're absolutely right that your wife's activity level is set too high. And if she hasn't enabled negative calorie adjustments http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings then she's not even eating at the deficit she thinks she is.

Edited to add that if your wife clicks on one of her Jawbone calorie adjustments, she will see how many calories she's supposed to burn for the activity level she's chosen.
  • deadlystingnyc
    Options
    I know I'm resurrecting an old thread but it seemed better than starting a new one for the same issue. I have my UP24 band synced with MFP. I have my activity level in MFP set to sedentary. The MFP app shows that I have logged 12,338 steps today (exactly what the UP app also shows) but there is no calorie adjustment based on those steps. You'd think I'd get a little something after walking the equivalent of almost 5 and a half miles over the course of the day, right? I also enabled negative calorie adjustments, so you think I'd see something one way or the other. Weird...
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Can you see your Jawbone steps in MFP? (In the MFP app, go to Settings > Steps > Jawbone.)

Sorry, you said you can. Did you try disconnecting then reconnecting your accounts.
  • deadlystingnyc
    Options
    Tried disconnecting, reconnecting, deleting the MFP app then rebooting phone & reinstalling, but nothing on the calorie adjustment front. I guess nearly 12000+ steps figures into MFP's view of "sedentary"?
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    No, you should see an adjustment: negative, zero, or positive.

Contact MFP & Jawbone support.