Advice for race

Options
kemiley
kemiley Posts: 6 Member
I am 14 weeks and have been preparing for a 10k on May 10th (with 100% approval from my OB). This will be my first 10k (I've been ready for awhile but where I live the weather hasn't been conducive to actually running anything!), and I'm just not sure how to prepare now these last 10 days or so leading up to it, especially since I just had a horrible 24 hr bug Tues-Weds, and thus haven't run since Monday.

Obviously I need to stay hydrated. I still have some morning sickness that I'm dealing with, so hydration is typically my top priority.

I don't eat a lot of carbs typically, but should I be upping my carbs leading up to this?

Also, for those who have run a 10k, pregnant or not, what was your training schedule like leading up to it? It's an 8am race and I'm typically an afternoon/evening runner, so I feel like I need to maybe get a few morning runs in.

Replies

• psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I have no idea about pregnancy and running-- but I used to run cross country, and for our 5K's we would do a spaghetti dinner the night before and the morning of just eat a banana. Lots of water. In terms of training we would do our regular runs during the week and the day before do a lighter run (some sprints and maybe 1.5 miles). Also lots of stretching day before and the morning of.

Good luck, you'll have lots of fun and feel very accomplished after!!
  • papagal212
    papagal212 Posts: 93
    Options
    I'm running a 10k race may 10th as well! :)) I have been training for it, but for past 3 weeks I haven't been running too often. I started running again yesterday and couldn't believe how much resistance I lost! I used to be able to run 6miles in 58-60 mins. Today I did 5 miles in 69 mins LOL. I walked a lot on the hills but ran down hills. Obviously just listen to your body. If you need to walk, walk! I plan to take a bottle water with me during the race. I only have 1 week to train, so I plan to run 30mins a day until Wednesday. Take Thursday and Friday off to recover and then BAM race! :)) I'm running with my SIL and she doesn't know I'm pregnant. SO im trying to figure out what excuse to give her on why I cant keep up with her and why I don't want to push myself lol. Take care!
  • papagal212
    papagal212 Posts: 93
    Options
    oh BTW I'm 5wks, so ill just be 6wks day of race.