Cheat/Free Days - do you do them?

Options
sparklelioness
sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
I've had a "free" day (I don't call it cheat day because it's planned - I'm not "cheating" on anything) since I first started my weight loss. It works for me - if I have a craving for a food, I know it's never more than six days away. It's really helped me stay on track. Originally it was free day, then for a while I just did a free meal, then it went back to free day. I usually do it on sunday, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do for may - a whole day or just a meal.

I do believe free days help you to lose weight, and I don't just mean because it helps you stay on track knowing you can eat what you want one day a week. There's something about exercise and calorie restriction, and then having a day where you eat more, that just seems to click for me, weight-loss wise. Maybe because it lets my body know that we're not in a famine, that the low cal days don't last forever, so it doesn't have to hang onto the fat quite so tightly...

Replies

• traceykiser
    traceykiser Posts: 28
    Options
    Yup, that's exactly right! According to the trainer at the gym, when you reduce your calorie intake for an extended period of time, your body goes into starvation mode. Eating a high calorie meal kick starts your metabolism into high gear. Like cross training helps you burn more calories. Great job!
  • baileyang33
    baileyang33 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I purposely pick 1 day a week & eat over my calories by 500-1000 calories for my "cheats". I needed this to keep my focus. Food is easy for me it's alcohol & motivation to workout I struggle with! For May I'm going to make sure it's only 1 day I splurge on & not the whole weekend & making it up the other days to make my week or adding extra workouts! Also want to try better at hitting my macros. Protein is never high enough! :)
  • MrsPenello
    MrsPenello Posts: 1
    Options
    I normally don't do "cheat" or "free" days just cause i'm afraid if i get off my diet i'll have a hard time getting back on. Kinda like i'm on a roll if I stop I might not start again.
  • caro1275
    caro1275 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    If i reallllllly want something, I will just have it. But I try to have it in moderation! So technically, no cheat days for me.