I hate nausea!

psmd
psmd Posts: 764 Member
Sometimes I feel like I have nausea, indigestion, heartburn AND hunger all at the same time, which is weird. I've been drinking a ton of club soda which helps a little. Any other tips? I'm also ok with any over the counter meds that are safe in pregnancy, just bit sure which ones would work well. But also any foods or drink that seem to make it better or worse for you guys?

Replies

• kalyrra
    kalyrra Posts: 672 Member
    This sounds like me! lol

My nausea was ALWAYS worse when I was hungry. I couldn't make it go completely away, but it would lessen if I made sure to eat something small every 20-30 minutes. A handful of nuts, a few crackers, half a banana, a piece of toast, a protein bar, a small bowl of cereal, yogurt or pudding, fruit like cantaloupe, etc... drinking anything that was ice cold made it worse as well (which sucked, cuz I love ice water!) Basically, and empty stomach = rough nausea.

A lot of people have also said that if you make sure to have a LOT of protein it's not as bad. I didn't read this until after mine was almost gone, so couldn't test the theory... but it makes sense. Also, (if you can) getting enough sleep will help. Nausea was always worse for me when I was really tired!

Hope this helps!
  • psmd
    Actually I noticed today my nausea got better after I took a nap! I didn't know about the protein thing, thanks!
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    With my daughter, my morning sickness was EXTREME. I was diagnosed with severe hyperemesis early on and there was a lot of medical intervention. I was hospitalized once for severe dehydration (because I would throw up Everything! Every single tiny thing, even one sip of water, would come right back up!) I ended up being put on a PICC line IV and a home health program with nurses coming to my house daily to check on me, medicate me and inject my prenatals. Finally, after months of trying everything, we discovered zofran! Why the doctor didn't give us this sooner is beyond me. I ended up losing 29lbs within a few months and I wasn't even overweight to begin with. My body threatened miscarriage multiple times.

Now, with this pregnancy, as soon as I found out I was pregnant I didn't even wait until my first ObGyn visit - I went straight to my regular family doctor and had him write me a prescription for Zofran. I still was very sick but it wasn't throwing up day and night constantly and violently like I did with my daughter, just throwing up several times a day. By 4 months it tapered off to 1-2 times a day and it was gone around 5 months. I only lost 15lbs this time and needed no medical intervention. Unfortunately, it came back again toward the end this time and I am dealing with a little morning sickness now but it is mild. Just nauseated a lot and feel sick every time I eat anything but I only actually throw up occasionally.

I tried so many things and the only thing that worked for me was the medication.

Little tricks for indegestion and heartburn though - avoid highly acid, greasy and/or spicy foods. Do not lay down within 1 hour of eating. Try drinking lemon water. Liquid Anti-Acid (my best friend lately.)

Good luck!!!
  • psmd
    Oh wow that sounded horrible! I am definitely not at that point! I was wondering about lemon water actually, the acid from the lemon isn't bad for you?
  • mdelynn01
    mdelynn01 Posts: 176 Member
    I live on the zofran dissolving tablets like tigerhammon. I had morning sickness from start to finish with all three pregnancies. It stinks because you can only get ten at a time and that last about 3 days but its worth it. I let mine lapse one time and was so sick. I was hospitalized with my first until I discovered zofran too. Its an amazing pill. I really can't say anything else worked for me. Sorry.
  • psmd
    Good to know if it gets bad there's something out there! Sorry to hear it was so rough for you!
  • tiggerhammon
    I know it sounds counteractive - lemons are acidic so how are they supposed to help with stomach acid, right?
    Lemons actually help to alkaline your body, balance out the pH levels in your stomach.
    If you have ever had one of those days where you take anti-acid 3 times and you are still burping up stomach acid, wishing and hoping there was a way to counteract the acid in your stomach - lemons are the answer.
    Though, they don't really work like a miracle cure. For 'I want this gone now' stomach acid, I use liquid anti-acid. Lemons are more of a preventative. They keep your pH levels balanced, helping you to not have an acidic stomach in the first place.

And, no, the astringent and acid in lemons is not bad for you.
  • psmd
    Hmmm, very interesting! I will have to try, I love lemon water but have been avoiding it thinking it would worsen upset stomach!
  • papagal212
    papagal212 Posts: 93
    I drink fresh lemon water with mint. I noticed I didn't drink any today and yesterday and my nausea was lingering around all day. I'm going to go and make some fresh now. lol.
  • psmd
    Mint and lemon sounds great actually!

I did throw up some water this morning :(

Can anyone suggest what type of crackers are good? Just plain old saltines?
  • tiggerhammon
    I think this one is just a preference. Not sure any work better than others. I prefer Ritz.
  • Dolci07
    Dolci07 Posts: 37 Member
    I take Zantac 2x a day. I have really bad indigestion and heartburn without it. It is a lifesaver. I don't have any at all anymore. I know for next time to start taking it sooner. I am 31 weeks.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    this is my 4th baby and I get hyperemesis till the end with all of them. feeding tubes, picc lines, lots of medical intervention. Dehydration will make nausea worse, so keeping up on fluids will help, taking an acid reducer will help take the edge off the nausea as well, zantac yu can take up to 300mg a day, if that doesn't seem to help ask for a Rx, for me protonix was the only thing that helped. My survival tip is to eat what sounds good, forcing things that don't sound good are sure to come back up.