May Book

Options
mabug01
mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
"Back Roads" by Tawni O'Dell

Tawni has 5 books, all set in Pennsylvania coal towns. Back Roads, her first book, published in 2000, was selected by Oprah's Book Club and has sold over two million copies. Tawni was born in 1964 so she was 36 when her book was published. I was working as a school secretary when I was 36.

Her website as discussion questions for this book, here's the link if you are inclined to study the book: http://www.tawniodell.com/?page_id=35

Replies

• steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Picked up book from library. How is everyone doing?
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I havent heard about my book yet; in fact I think I picked the other one! "One of Us"?? anyway I will go check for Back Roads.
    I have been doing well; enjoying the nice weather, bike riding
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Love your new photo. Glad things are going well. Weather here has been great until today when it reached 100 degrees.
    You have the right idea, getting out and enjoying the sunshine. Easier to read when it's really cold or hot. I am reading other books and won't get to our May book until next week.

Enjoy Diamond gal!!
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    I put in for Back Roads today; it should be here soon
  • mabug01
    Options
    Hi Diamond Gals!

Well, wedding #1 is over and it went well yesterday despite high winds at the beach.

I still haven't received my book and now the used book seller says it might not arrive until May 29. I've been keeping busy with other books, but nothing great to recommend.

I heard about those high temps in northern California. My daughter and her fiancee (from Petaluma) are here for my son's wedding and it's cooler in Florida! We got a good laugh out of that one!

Mary
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Congratulations Mary to you and your family. How nice for you that your kids are getting settled as you embark on your own retirement adventure. The heat has broken and it is really nice. Just so lucky for me, as our AC/Heating system died and they can't replace it until June 5th. There goes the vacation but having AC in this kind of summer heat is a must!!!

I read the 4th book in the series by Spencer-Fleming and really liked it. Busy time for us all maybe we want to make Back Roads our June book and not stress our shiny group.

Take care Diamondettes.
    Mady
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    Hi Diamond Gals,

yes glad your wedding went well. My book is finally here. I am going to pick it up tomorrow. I have to finish reading W is for Wasted by Sue Grafton. I like it!! I didnt think I would keep reading her books because they seemed repetitive. But this is a winner.
  • mabug01
    Options
    Thank you so much for your kind words about the wedding!

I liked W for Wasted, too. But, I'll tell you, I really like the way Back Roads has started. I've only read a few pages but I think its a winner.

Have a wonderful holiday weekend!

Mary

BTW Mady gets to pick our June book
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Happy Holiday weekend Diamond Gals,

Guess we are all into the book. My reaction at first Mary was the opposite...didn't like the gritty first chapter. But am in Chapter 3 and the main character is grabbing my interest. Let's keep reading and sharing.

I am ready for June :)
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    I finished the book Back Roads...........hmm well what can I say............very descriptive and so much loss...................... wow

So whats up for June?
  • mabug01
    Options
    Hi All,

I'm only in the first chapter of the book but I'm interested; although it does sound dark. We can pick a June book now and get started on it later; or we can wait; any thoughts?

Mary
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Hi there,

I am half way through and think the writing is good but it's hard to read. I guess like many Oprah choices it starts out sad and ends sadder. But I will finish it.

For June my suggestion is The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri. I have read her other books and liked them.

If you don't like my selection, my other book club is reading 007Carte Blanche. The New James Bond Novel by Jeffery Deaver. Let me know what you think.

Mady
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    For June, is that the one you choose? Or something else?

Back Roads is memorable due to its reflection on child abuse; I am glad I read it.
  • mabug01
    Options
    I've been reading a lot lately because it's hard to put down Back Roads. I'm glad i'm reading it, too. I'll be finished in a couple of days.

For June, my first choice would be James Bond simply because it's a change of pace from what we've been reading. However, if both of you want to read the other novel, I'm up for that, too.

I agree with you about Oprah's books - well written but always sorta depressing. it's gotta make you wonder about her...
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    Hi Diamond Gals! I am ok with the James Bond novel too. I will see if I can pick it up at the library. Happy June reading!