Extreme hunger

Options
victoria_1024
victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
I'm either 6 or 7 weeks pregnant (not totally sure yet), but I've been doing pretty well so far with eating well and exercising 5 times a week. I'm tired, but I'm sticking with it!

All of a sudden today, the extreme hunger has hit!! We ordered pizza at work and I was so hungry I just couldn't stop eating. When I got home, I added it up on here and found out it was 1900 calories of pizza! Holy crap!! It was really only about 4 large pieces total (not in one sitting) but boy do those calories add up. :/ Anyway I literally just couldn't stop thinking about food all day, I was so freakin hungry. I am worried I am going to gain so much weight if I keep this up! Obviously I need to make better choices (I don't eat pizza all that often) but still even then I feel like I need to eat constantly.

This is my 4th baby, but this is the first time I've ever focused on being healthy during pregnancy so it's definitely a change.

Replies

• justinskitty
    justinskitty Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It sounds like we had the same day! I couldn't stop eating all day. To make matters worse we are working on the nursery and things were not going the way they should again and again and we ordered pizza. I ate 1/3 of a thin crust medium cheese annnnnnnnnnd almost an entire or of cinna stix. Total for today a whopping 2300!! Holy fatness! I'm not too worried. I have good days and bad days and yesterday I ate 1100 due to more crap not going the way it should.

The moral of the story is take one day at a time. Some days you will eat like crazy and others food will only sound ok. I'm 13 weeks and I'm still down a pound after my run of morning sickness. Every day is a new day!
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    You will have days like that. Just try to reach for healthy foods. Trying to fill up on vegetables is always a good idea. They are super low in calories and impossible to eat so many of them you go over calorie limit and every pregnant woman (rrr, everybody) needs their vegetables.

Maybe your calories are set too low?
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I am set to maintenance right now, but this hunger is out of hand! I mean, I'll have breakfast and then an hour later I'm so hungry I can hardly take it. And if I wait too long to eat, I start to feel sick. This has happened during ALL of my pregnancies so it's not like it's anything new, but I really do want to be healthier. Carbs and peanut butter are pretty much the only things that sound good right now of course, lol. I need to find some quick, healthy, but filling snack ideas.
  • jennk5309
    jennk5309 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    The first trimester was about survival for me. I ate way too many carbs to fend off nausea, and I really beat myself up over my excessive weight gain. I'm feeling better now, at 16 weeks, and my weight gain has slowed. I lost a few pounds actually a couple of weeks ago and got a little scared something was wrong (they came back, lol). Now that I'm feeling better, I'm logging most days again. Honestly though, at the end of the day a lot of times I am too tired to care about logging. I just try to stay around the amount of food/calories I know will maintain my weight.

I have days where I'm hungry all day also- yesterday being one of them. My advice is what one of the other posters said- lots of fruits and vegetables, and I would add protein. Hardboiled eggs, light peanut butter (I get PB2), light string cheese, etc. Vegetables were tough for me the 1st trimester, cooked ones made me gag. I could only handle raw, cold veggies like carrot sticks, sliced cucumbers, etc. Figure out what you can handle and stock up on that.

Good luck, and if you gain too much the 1st trimester, please don't beat yourself up over it. I felt and still feel awful about it, but I'm trying to tell myself that it's done and to just move on. I'll lose it after the baby comes. Breastfeeding plus maintenance level calories will burn the fat like crazy....

And congratulations!