Epidurals

Options
2»

Replies

• kerryradz
    kerryradz Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I done my labour on just gas and air, it honestly isn't as bad as I thought it'd be. Because of internal bleeding I had to be taken to theatre after the birth and have internal stitches, for the theatre I had to have an epidural and I hated it. Not being able to feel your legs properly etc I have no idea how woman actually give birth without feeling down there. I did ask a midwife and she said they sometimes have to tell woman when to push cause they can't feel the contractions. Having the epidural made my recovery time longer as you can't walk for a good few hours, it took me about 5 hours to get proper feeling back and then I was quite shaky on my legs at first.
  • jennk5309
    jennk5309 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone without one because both of my daughters were induced with Pitocin and Pitocin contractions HURT intolerably......But I must say that epidurals were not pleasant for me. I shook uncontrollably, vomited, and kept needing medicine to prevent me from passing out because my blood pressure was so low. I guess it was the medicine they put in the epidural and weird reaction to it, IDK. Also, my back hurt for months after around the epidural site. Other women have had spinal fluid leak out into their bodies and cause massive headaches that last for days.

If I need Pitocin again with this baby though, I's still pick an epidural with all the side effects over the Pitocin contraction pain.
  • SLL0622
    SLL0622 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you to all the mommas providing their experiences. Really helpful.

I'm a FTM so am doing lots of reading about birth. I plan to take a Hypnobabies course and use the doula who gives the course - - in an ATTEMPT at a medication-free birth. However - - I'm not setting myself up for disappointment if I decide I need an epidural. My "birth plan" is going to be pretty simple - "do my best and get meds if needed". One book I'm definitely feeling good about is Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth. The first half of the book is just a bunch of birth stories, which, in my opinion, are sort of boring so I skipped them when I realized how many there were (but I'll probably end up going back and reading them eventually). But the 2nd half of the book is really empowering - - it's just making me feel totally comfortable about the idea of child birth (which is obviously new to me and has always been a bit of a scary, bloody, potentially poopy, mystery to me) and it's making me feel totally confident that I'm super strong and healthy and I can totally birth this baby comfortably and easily and without intervention. So, even though the book is a little hippy-ish (there is a section on how birthing can be orgasmic... hmmmm), I totally recommend it (maybe just check it out from a local library first). Don't let the hippy-ness of it turn you off.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I just go with the flow and play it by ear....I have pretty long labors, 20 hours, 13 hours, and 19 hours so far with my 4th baby due in 10 days. My second one I had no pain meds with at all because I was able to handle it. Once it reaches 12 or 13 hours I get pretty exhausted and need the epi so I can nap and rest, gotta have the energy to push them out when it's time. I put no pressure on myself to decide anything at all beforehand.
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    My first pregnancy I got to the hospital at around 11 pm and I didn't have any drugs until I got staydol right before I gave birth to my son. I could've done it naturally had I known I was that close but the doctor never relayed that to me. My second was a bit different. I had back labor for 32 hours and it felt like I had flaming swords being shoved down my femurs. I tried the staydol with that one as well and it didn't touch the pain so I went for the epidural. That actually stalled my progression and I was stuck at 7 for a while until they turned me. It eventually wore off and I had to give myself another little dose to where I could still feel it but it took the edge off. I ended up having to hold the little guy in until the doctor came back from his house. Little did I know that even if you can do what they tell you with your legs, you still can't get off the bed for a certain amount of time after your last dose. I really had to go to the bathroom and they wouldn't let me move because the time hadn't lapsed.
  • harmonyhoran
    harmonyhoran Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    From the people I've talked to here in New Zealand, many don't go for the idea of an epidural. They aren't anti but I guess there are options of water birth, gas etc. and the epi isn't encouraged. I wanted a water birth but due to my induction I was stuck in bed and sucked on the gas for 7 hours. For the one person I know who actually had an epidural, it didn't work. Plus you cant get it too early because it slows things down, or too late it kind of defeats the point. Personally, unless I was in excruciating pain and so exhausted from days of labour I wouldn't do an epi. Although the idea of a needle in my spine freaks me out, as well as a caesarean...eek! In my opinon, and its not to criticise others who choose, but to me I would feel like getting an epi is sort of cheating the whole birth experience like I hadn't tried it on my own or even felt what it was like. I wanted to know what I was capable of and being numb from the waist down would mentally and physically disconnected me from the experience. Yes I happy took the gas but I was very much aware of what was going on in my body.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I had one & everything went smoothly, calmly, and I enjoyed labor. My water broke at 5am in the morning, got to the hospital &. In a bed by 8am, and had my daughter around noon. I pushed for about 15mins & she came right out :) I did have to get stitches, but down there is throbbing regardless. I walked up & peed 15mins after delivery.
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I've had a 48 hour labour, breech baby and total of five deliveries. I've never had an epidural or pethidine, just entonox and a TENS machine. I was open to the idea of a mobile epidural, but only if absolutely necessary and if I couldn't cope without it. I had heard the scary stories and decided to try and do without. Labour is a state of mind - once you realise that the pain is temporary, there IS a point and an end to it and that women manage to cope with labour everyday without pain relief it's easier to deal with. (Though it does help to have a high threshold for pain, lol).

My only advice is to research everything so that you know and understand all your options and outline what you would prefer in your birthplan, but know that you need to be flexible and open to whatever is necessary to get to your goal - a healthy mother and baby. The journey is not as important as the end result in this case.