Tell me what is under your saddle.....

Options
dolcezza72
dolcezza72 Posts: 171 Member
I have had a few flats this week... I am realizing all the things I am forgetting in my saddle bag when I am stranded on the road. What are things that are a must in your bag that you just don't think of??

Replies

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,241 Member
    Options
    I keep it pretty simple. I don't bother patching tubes. I just carry one extra tube, tire levers, two CO2 cartridges and a valve stem adapter for the CO2 cartridges. I carry an all purpose tool that has two ends with one small flathead screw driver head, one phillips head and four allen wrenches and two box wrenches that fit most the nuts, screws and bolts on the bike that you would want to adjust while on the road. No pliers or patch kits or multi-tools. They are extra weight and if I need something that serious I'm going to call a friend for a ride and take the bike to the shop.
  • kerrylikesbikes
    kerrylikesbikes Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    tube, 2 cartridges, dollar bill for blowouts, levers, head for cartridges, one emergency snack (trade it out every so often), patch kit I have never used.

on longer rides I try to take a husband and a pump. (they don't fit in saddlebag tho)
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Tubes...CO2...tire lever...presta adapter...4/5/6mm allen key.
  • dolcezza72
    Options
    tube, 2 cartridges, dollar bill for blowouts, levers, head for cartridges, one emergency snack (trade it out every so often), patch kit I have never used.

on longer rides I try to take a husband and a pump. (they don't fit in saddlebag tho)

Haha !!! I just said that the other day.... Whenever I get a flat it makes me want to 1.get married. Or 2, quit.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    tube, patch kit, tire levers, CO2 (how many depends on the ride and the time of year), multitool, $5 bill, laminated card with emergency contact and health/allergy info (think cheap road ID).
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Carrying extra tube isn't gonna do me any good. :noway: (So not mechanically inclined). So I have it in the garage.:huh:

But I do carry stash o' cash for #1 Arby's or Subway, #2 busfare if flat.
    2 ID & a debit card.
    1 prot bar & 1 candybar cuz 1 is better than the other depending on what ride is like...then there's times that both is what I need.
    iPod nano.

ON the bike, eventho ya didn't ask :wink:
    cell
    garmin watch
    double daylight-flashers
    double tail-light flashers

(eta: hubby can't keep up w/me but he's good at fetching me when I needs it :heart: )
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    tube, patch kit, tire levers, CO2 (how many depends on the ride and the time of year), multitool, $5 bill, laminated card with emergency contact and health/allergy info (think cheap road ID).

just ordered a bracelet from RoadID.com :bigsmile:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I ride with a backpack / hydration pack

tube
    pump
    multi tool (with levers)
    toilet paper
    sunscreen
    chap stick
    sun glasses case w/ alternate lenses
    tampons
    ID & a credit card
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Carrying extra tube isn't gonna do me any good. :noway: (So not mechanically inclined). So I have it in the garage.:huh:

Take a tire changing class! Or make your husband show you.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Under saddle:
    Spare tube.
    Nylon tyre levers
    Puncture repair patches - glue on type (last two punctures I've fixed without even taking the wheel out)
    Multi tool.
    Combined mini pump and CO2 inflator.
    Latex disposable gloves (so you don't get filthy hands fixing flats)

On me will be mobile phone, credit card, £20 note.

Food/drink/sunscreen depending on distance planned.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Tube
    Levers
    CO2
    Lip Balm
    Car Keys if necessary
    2 Allen wrenches

On me is phone and Road ID

ETA: What I carry depends on which bike I'm riding, weather, distance, etc. I try to be as minimal as possible in the summer. Backpacks suck.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I use a camelback becasue most of my rides are long! I also ride solo alot in very rough terrain.

In my bag:
    multitool
    patchkit and boot
    2 tire levers
    CO2 and adaptor
    handpump
    chainbreaker
    chainlink
    2 tubes
    cell phone for music
    car keys
    honey stinger gummies or GU
    lighweight jacket

On me:
    headphones
    road ID bracelet
    glasses
    gloves
    helmet
    chapstick

On my bike:
    Garmin
    water bottle cage
    water bottle with perpetuem
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    What is under my saddle is a tail light.

What I carry for emergencies are: Spare tube and a small patch kit (size of a quarter, to patch a tire sidewall if necessary to get me home) Tool kit, tire levers, mini chain tool, spoke wrench, spare change, small tube of sunscreen rated at 100,2 AAA batteries, 3 bandanas, Hand pump. A $25 solar powered battery backup for my cell phone(and necessary cable). I carry this all in a Jandd trunk bag on my rear rack.

If I am going somewhere that I know I will be parking the bike, I take a cable lock as well. If its just a ride I leave it at home.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    A Topeak Saddle bag

14131818155_85dc6b81d4.jpg

containing:

1 x Schwalbe Ultremo ZX (folding) Tyre (just in case)
    2 x Conti tubes
    1 x Topeak multi-tool (inc Tyre Levers)
    1 x Puncture repair outfit
    2 x packs of self-adhesive patches - never used 'em/tried 'em...
    1 x CO2 dispenser
    3 x 16g CO2 canisters
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    Rule #29 violator here...

Within the "European Posterior Man-Satchel" is

a combi-pump (traditional pump and co2 inflator combined) with a length of gaffa-tape wrapped around it.
    2x16g cartridges
    2xSpare tubes (with valve extender pre-fitted)
    1xPark Emergency Tyre Boot,
    1xSpoke Key,
    1xCrank Bros Multitool (a small one, can't remember the model off hand but it's the smallest that has a chain-tool on it),
    2xKNC "missing link" chain joiners and 3-4 links of spare chain (the bit that gets snipped off when I fit a new chain),
    1xpack of puncture patches (the skabs/park tools/lezyne glueless ones) in case of more than 2 knackered tyres
    2xHiFive Zero Tablets (in the "alka seltzer" type individual packages)
    1xEmergency waterproof wallet with £50 and some loose change in there (and a credit card on longer runs)
    3xZip ties
    (in summer, there'll be an emergency blinky headlight as well, in winter it'll be on the bars as a matter of course)
    On the loop at the back of the bag, is a Smart rearlight (the 1/2watt "migraine inducer")

all this fits (with room for a spare energy bar or two) into a Topeak medium bag - a bit like this one - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-aero-wedge-buckle-medium-saddle-bag/ the QR buckles are handy because I can swap it between bikes in 30 seconds if needed.

My excuse is I need to be self sufficient. There's nobody at home to call for help, or a lift back to base, and I'm often 40 miles away from home, out in the sticks. So I need to fix the bike and limp home, or be prepared for a VERY expensive taxi journey.

Of course, the main thing that I have with me, without which all the above is a waste of time, is the ability to use all the kit and fix things on the roadside.
  • Snowoutspokin
    Options
    Tube
    Patch kit
    tire levers
    2 Co2 cartridges with tool. (does shrader and presta without adapter)
    multi tool
    chain breaker
    credit card
    ID
    bandaids (nurse for 15 yrs- habit)
    and I actually have an extra pair of socks in there right now. It's packed TIGHT att the moment
  • chelleb1974
    chelleb1974 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I mostly ride along, and don't really have anyone to come rescue me, so I ride with more than the average person probably does. I have a Topeak RX Trunk Bag (with fold down panniers) on a frame behind my seat and wear a Camelbak. I also wear a RoadID on my ankle.

In the Trunk bag I have:
    extra tissues
    cell phone
    tubes (2)
    CO2 cartridges (3) with adapter
    tire pump
    small chamois
    sunscreen
    bug spray
    bandaids/Neosporin
    tire levers (3)
    multi-tool
    rain covers for trunk bag (trash bags, haha) and bungi cord (to secure trash bag)
    cable lock
    blistex
    extra food (depends on length of ride)
    rain cover for helmet
    wallet/money
    extra charger for cell phone (if a long ride)

Camelbak:
    rain jacket
    eye drops (I wear contacts)
    tampons
    flushable wipes (keeps shorts cleaner)
    food (depending on length of ride)

I think I'm forgetting something, but that's pretty much all of it.

~Chelle
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Multi-tool
    5mm hex key
    proprietary key wrench for my locking skewers
    patch kit
    tire levers
    $1 in quarters

Usually though I have some sort of bag with me that holds various items that I think I may need..but always cell phone and ID. I'm lucky enough to have an extraction crew for 99% of my rides so if things go well and truly south on me they're just a phone call away. I only end up having to call when I've exhausted all of the tools at my disposal (or am suffering from a mild concussion).
  • pmr545
    pmr545 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Tube, multi-tool, plastic levers, Air, $20 in case I need cash. Interesting story.... blew out a spoke (Mavic blade) while 15 miles from home and I just happened to forget my phone on the ride. Had to limp back, 5-7 mph. Not fun.
  • dolcezza72
    Options
    You guys are fabulous!! This is so valuable for me!!! Thank you!!!♡♡♡♡♡