not getting my protein in

Options
Hi,
I had my sleeve surg on march 19, 2014. So far I've lost 57 pounds. My problem is lately the protein shakes make me gag. I've had a hard time getting my protein in for the day. I'm afraid I'm going to stop loosing weight. Anyone have any tips or tricks for eating protein? It just seems like everything now just turns my stomach.
Thanks,
Laurie

Replies

• aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    One mistake I made early on was thinking I had to follow the directions on the protein mix - i.e. one scoop with 8oz water etc and drink it all at once. It was impossible to finish and made me pretty gaggy, much less doing that 3-4 times a day.

I found that if I got fruitier ones, (i.e. Syntrax Wild Grape, Apple Esctasy, Strawberry Kiwi) instead of milkly ones (vanilla, chocolate, etc) and mixed them with MUCH smaller amounts of water (like 3oz), it was like drinking a little strong koolaid. I could even do a double scoop in 5oz (48g protein, for a small glass of water!).

So find a powder you like the taste of in general or can stomach, and try making smaller amounts (start with 1oz and maybe 1/4 scoop) and drink them like "shots" throughout the day. No need to get a whole scoop at once - 4x 1/4 scoops gets you there just as well.
  • aylajane
    Options
    Also, if you like greek yogurt or cottage cheese, you can put various flavored protein powders in - vary the amount by taste, and make small portions and dont have to use full scoop etc. I like Jay Robb pina colada, 1st form ice cream sandwich etc.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    There are other ways to get protein besides shakes! Quest bars have 21g per bar and very low sugar carbs. PowerCrunch bars are really more of a cookie. Not quite the protein of a Quest, but a VERY tasty treat. There are protein "shots" available at places like GNC. Those have more than 40g so you'd only want to shoot 1/2 at a time since the body can't absorb more than about 25g at a time anyway. Hold your nose if you have to, but TAKE IT. You wouldn't let your child skip their prescription medication "because it made them gag". You'd find a way to make it happen because it's important for their health. Do the same for yourself! Head over to http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/ for some great protein rich recipes.
  • Angelaseney63
    Options
    Hi Laurie
    Did you try Unjury Protein? They are the best by far that I have tried. I really love the chocolate products in my decaf coffee. Also, they have an unflavored protein powder that you can poor in soup or over your meal and you don't even taste it. It is 21 grams of protein per scoop. I absolutely love it. try www.unjury.com
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    GNC also carries Isopure Zero, which is a flavored water with about 45 grams of protein in each bottle. They taste a bit like Jolly Ranchers candy and I drank those when the protein shakes were making me gaggy at the beginning. And because it's water, it counts towards your water goal for the day as well. But as was already said here, you can't drink the whole thing down at once. First at this stage, you need to be sipping. Second, your body needs time to absorbe the protein. So sip a little very few minutes and it's good if it takes you 1/2 a day to get in most of one bottle.
  • teachren
    teachren Posts: 78
    Options
    I second mixing up your own ratio of protien to liquid. Have you varied your liquids? I don't often have shakes anymore maybe a couple times a week but I like to mix the creamy ones with unsweetened almond milk instead of water.

Other than that if you are a couple months out and like eggs I would suggest 1/2 cup of liqud egg white to make an omlette. 14 g of protein for 60 calories. That's a hit in my books. If you can tolerate spicy add some Mrs. Renfros raspberry chipotle salsa at around a carb or two and 15 calories for 2 tbsp. It's awesome.

Now, I am a year out next week so I add some Canadian bacon (but in Canada we call it peameal bacon) or some low fat cheese and herbs. I usually clock that around 150- 200 calories in total and anywhere between 22 and 28 g of protein depending on which I added.

Good luck finding something that works. It's a challenge but it is so important to get your protein in.
  • happydales
    happydales Posts: 10
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the suggestions. I wish they made protein pops. I love pops!

I'm going shopping tomorrow to search for new protein bars powder.

I hit a milestone today, 60 pounds off. I lost a 4th grader. LOL

Laurie
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Premier protein 30g shakes only 160 calories 11 oz. nice and thin not thick and gaggy. If you are on solids they also make a 30g protein bar. Get them at SAMs club. Kroger carbmaster skim milk 11 G protein in 1c 60 cals. Egg beaters because they are made with egg whites and have higher protein than plain eggs. Not hitting your protein will seriously affect your hair so try hard. Do not let carbs take up protein space!!
  • aylajane
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the suggestions.<b> I wish they made protein pops</b>. I love pops!

I'm going shopping tomorrow to search for new protein bars powder.

I hit a milestone today, 60 pounds off. I lost a 4th grader. LOL

Laurie

Make your own!!! I actually have made a protein shake using Diet Mtn Dew instead of water (green apple flavored or lime flavored or unflavored powder) - tho obviously I dont recommend this :) But if you find a drink you like (preferably without carbonation of course), make it a protein drink! There are also Special K Protein drink mixes that are like crystal light but with 5-10g protein in each packet. You can also put those in greek yogurt to bump up the protein and add flavor.

Be very creative! Coordinate the powder flavor with whatever else you are eating that sits well with you, or add a little unflavored to it. You can add just a little protein so it doesnt change the taste and texture - adding 5g protein is better than none, so dont feel like you have to use the whole scoop to be worth it!

When I read "pops" I thought you meant popsicles :) You can easily make those too! Use a jello mix and add unflavored or coordinated fruity flavored protein (i.e. strawberry jello with either strawberry or vanilla milky powder or strawberry kiwi type fruity powder or just unflavored), buy some popsicle molds and/or sticks from the dollar store (or just use small paper cups ) and freeze them. Make them as small as you want. It might take some experimenting to get the ratio of powder to "optimal" for taste, but its essentially getting your water in and a little protein, so go for it!
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    GNC also carries Isopure Zero, which is a flavored water with about 45 grams of protein in each bottle. They taste a bit like Jolly Ranchers candy and I drank those when the protein shakes were making me gaggy at the beginning. And because it's water, it counts towards your water goal for the day as well. But as was already said here, you can't drink the whole thing down at once. First at this stage, you need to be sipping. Second, your body needs time to absorbe the protein. So sip a little very few minutes and it's good if it takes you 1/2 a day to get in most of one bottle.

http://www.theisopurecompany.com/en/drinks/

These were my lifeline. Used to drink two bottles a day when transitioning from full liquid through all food stages. Kept my protein very high and accounted for 40oz of fluid. Got a two-fer effect!
  • wendymbureau
    Options
    I am having the same issue! Had VSG March 7, there is one brand of protein shake I can stomach (Premier Protein) but I feel like I'd like to chew occasionally! I'd love some advice too.
  • wendymbureau
    Options
    That is AWESOME! And so funny, because I tell my Fourth grader that everyday!- LOL! Congratulations!!!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I remember well the need to chew. I freeze my protein shakes, not until they are solid, I shake them up every hour or so until they are slushy. I still do this. Makes them thick enough to almost eat with a spoon, which means I eat/drink it much slower as well. Anyway, if you need to chew, that might help. Might help with the needs for pops too.
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I also freeze my shakes and make smoothies with high protein yogurts (Fage and Dannon 2X) add in a little fruit and they taste great - which is about 20+g protein depending on how much you use. The only protein powder I have found that I like is Whey Isolate Elite made by Six Star - 30g/serving that I mix with skim/fat free milk. Together it's like 37g protein - which is almost half of what I was instructed to do.

All I can say is WOW and GOOD FOR YOU to have lost that much weight in so little time. I haven't lost that much and I had my sleeve 2/5/14.

Karen

You have a STUPENDOUS start, keep it up - you're doing something right.
  • happydales
    happydales Posts: 10
    Options
    Karen,

Thank you so much. So appreciate your comments!

Thank you,
    Laurie