Should runners have "NRVs"?

davemunger
davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
A big topic of interest on MFP is the "NSV" - non-scale victory. Like when you can fit into jeans a size smaller or someone flirts with you for the first time in years.

But what about runners -- should we celebrate "NRVs" -- Non-racing victories? Some sort of accomplishment that isn't a PR or a race win. Maybe it's the first time you ran with a group and weren't dropped. Or when you helped your friend move to a 3rd floor apartment and weren't huffing and puffing when you got to the top.

Or is that pointless and stupid? Is the only way to record running successes on the road / track / trail?

Discuss / share your own NRVs here!

Replies

• RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Holy cow this is the total opposite of stupid and pointless! I get way too wrapped up in my own competitiveness with myself! I will eagerly track this thread looking to celebrate NRV with everyone!

Recent one for me: running my last few training runs simply to log the miles and enjoy them. Not on a strict pace, mileage or time goal. They weren't throw away miles but they weren't the longest fastest runs and I'm okay with that! ????
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    I *LOVE* this idea! It's great to celebrate the non-PR, non-race, everyday successes of other runners. I'm so looking forward to hearing other people's stories!

As for me...
    I haven't gotten fitted for new running shoes in 3+ years, so yesterday I decided to treat myself to a trip to my favorite local running store. While I was testing out several pairs of running shoes, the sales guy, who also runs the good running form clinic offered on weekends by the store told me that I have a pretty efficient gait and my form was pretty good. I was so excited! Then of course, I got to go home with a new pair of running shoes, which was double great. Totally made my day.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    This isn't technically "racing," although it might sound like it, but my newly-discoverd NRV is going to a race and knowing I can smash it, but I hold myself back and just have effortless fun. For instance, running Pittsburgh at an 11:30 pace and my HR not going above 125 - yes, I was running for 2.5 hours, but I had time to appreciate the spirit of everything and watch others suffer around me. And 3 summers ago, I was the dude suffering at the 11:30 pace and walking/limping my *kitten* to the finish.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    And finding "the shoe." After 1.5 years of searching and getting fitted, I finally have the shoe that's meant for me. That's huge in my book :)

My runnin' shooooooe
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    I collect marathons.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Strava "segments" kind of do the same thing, allowing to you to celebrate beating your previous time or other runners on a part of a run.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Cool post. My most memorable NRV is being able to run all the way up a giant hill :)

We have a giant hill here that our trail running group takes very often to start out our Thursday night group runs. It's called "Initiation Hill." We all start running. We get to initiation hill and everyone runs about half way up it and then starts walking inevitably, except for the hardcores. I remember the first time I ever got up Initiation hill without walking. It was seriously good stuff.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    I love this idea! Every time you go farther than you have before is a pretty big victory.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    This is kindof a race, but also not. I do flyball with my dogs. Fells is 3 years old and has been racing for 2 years. He also goes on many of my runs with me. I think that the combination of:
    -- me running faster with him multiple times per week
    -- that I am able to release him, sprint with him to the start/finish line, and then, after he turns from the box, sprint from the line to encourage him to run back faster; and do this 50 times over the weekend
    has made Fells faster.

He's been doing his runs at an average of 7 seconds for two years. Last weekend his average was 6.5 seconds with multiple 6.3 second runs. I think that he can get even faster, too.
  • saskie78
    A big topic of interest on MFP is the "NSV" - non-scale victory. Like when you can fit into jeans a size smaller or someone flirts with you for the first time in years.

Also, thanks, because I had no idea what NSV meant in the damn forums until you just defined it!
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    I think this is a great idea; especially because I don't have the means to do as many actual races as I'd like most of my running victories/personal bests are simply from my pace/time/distance etc. recorded on my garmin during training/pleasure runs.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Yes! You should celebrate "wins" however they may come.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    For me it's when people come to me with questions about running. How to start and that kind of things... It always surprise me because half of the time I feel like I don't know what the hell I am doing LOL It's nice to know that some people think I am good enough at it to ask me for some advices :)
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    My biggest NRV.... it takes me less time to run the 4.9 miles to work (pushing a jogging stroller) than it does to take the subway!

Last year it took me the same or more time to travel by running and I only had the stamina to cut out 1 ride a week, averaging 4 rides right now.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Since we are sharing.

My recent NRV is shaving time off or my 5K running route. At the start of 2014 I ran the loop in 33:14 and I was pretty happy with that. Just the other week I did it in 27:41.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    I love this idea!

My NRV is an ongoing one. Training for that 50K means adding distance each and every week on my long runs. Every week, I am exploring/experience distances that I have never accomplish running solo. This is different because in the past, I have always had a running buddy with me. I am having to find the determination within myself to push pass that barrier where my mind says, "Stop!" A new challenge each week. Woo-Hoo!
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    This is cool!

There are a lot of hills around my job and on breaks and lunch I love to walk them. I don't have any hills where I live. So as I'm in the DollarTree (found cliff bars for $1 each) waiting in line I notice our CFO two people ahead of me. After making my purchase I head out and up the hill, I say hello as I pass him showing off the cliff bars I found and I'm off. I get back to work, clock in, and refill my water bottles before I finally notice him heading back to his office. "You set a mean pace!" he says. It makes me smile whenever I think of it.

I'm also currently just enjoying my runs now as I'm just running for pleasure. I have a couple of races planned for the fall so I'm currently working on speed, trying different intervals, all while still simply taking it easy for now. It's been nice to have a race break.
  • saskie78
    I love this idea!

My NRV is an ongoing one. Training for that 50K means adding distance each and every week on my long runs. Every week, I am exploring/experience distances that I have never accomplish running solo. This is different because in the past, I have always had a running buddy with me. I am having to find the determination within myself to push pass that barrier where my mind says, "Stop!" A new challenge each week. Woo-Hoo!

I really like this one :)
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Great idea!

I had a NRV last year while doing battle with a large patch of ivy with my sling blade. In the past, I would have had to take a lot of breaks while doing this, but because of my increased aerobic fitness, I was able to swing that blade steadily for over an hour without getting my heart rate up much at all.

And last week, the former division 1 athlete (and insufferable know-it-all) at my work admitted that I was a better runner than him and listened to my advice for how he could improve!
  • k1214
    k1214 Posts: 33 Member
    My NRV's are also my NSV's since I'm fairly new to running (I joined this group to learn and be inspired :smile: ). I finished my first half on March 30th and my first 10 miler this past Sunday. Now I have a baseline time to beat for the next time...because there will be more!