Favorite Bargain You've Discovered

Options
What is the favorite bargain you have discovered while shopping at Aldi? Mine is the Smoked Gouda cheese that they occasionally have on special buy.

Replies

• back2happy2005
    back2happy2005 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Turkey tenderloin. I cook it in the crock pot all day, we have it for dinner that night and I have left overs the rest of the week for salads, sandwiches and wraps for my oldest daughter and myself. We both love turkey. Not bad for $7.00
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I love the Sweet potato chips and Root vegetable chips. They are so Expensive at the grocery store, then I go to Aldi and they are half the price anywhere else...and honestly they are better tasting they are ribbed and crispier. I also found the chocolate section YUMMMM best chocolate. Most is from Germany. So good.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I like the Cattleman's Ranch sirloin steaks. Same as No Name Steaks but at 1/3 the price. They are great to keep in the freezer for the days I don't want to cook supper. 3 minutes on each side in the frying pan and steam some veggies in the microwave and I have a great quick meal.
  • bald_navy_wife
    bald_navy_wife Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Any of their fresh vegetables are a great bargain compared to other stores but my favorite is when their fresh sliced/whole mushrooms are only 59 cents:love:
  • ACCTGQUEEN
    ACCTGQUEEN Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My current new fave is the gluten free pizza crust. I don't have to avoid gluten for medical reasons, but I am just trying to avoid the "bad" stuff. It is super delicious and quick to make. It makes a thinner, crispier crust.
  • ACCTGQUEEN
    ACCTGQUEEN Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Any of their fresh vegetables are a great bargain compared to other stores but my favorite is when their fresh sliced/whole mushrooms are only 59 cents:love:

They have the BEST veggies there.
  • Elsiebeanns
    Elsiebeanns Posts: 14
    Options

They have the BEST veggies there.

The fresh produce at our aldi's is horrible! I price match at Walmart. I love their fit and active line of food.
  • snkztn04
    snkztn04 Posts: 1
    Options
    I would say their produce is the best, and I love their Fit & Active line. Did you know there will be another German store like Aldi's coming to the US within a couple years? Well, 2018. I can't wait. It's called Lidl's. My mother is German, and she says it's another good store that is very similar to Aldi. With the last recession, these stores will do well here.
  • Savlona
    Savlona Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Lidl is great, they already operate here in the UK as well as Aldi. Good deals on fresh fruit and veg and the rye bread from the instore bakery is to die for.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I like to see how much of my shopping I can do and not spend more than 2 dollars on one item. I make exceptions for necessities but anything else has to pass the 2 dollar test. I'm originally from The Netherlands and now living in the US. Aldi is the only place that will have thing I used to love growing up. They won't have them all the time but as part of one of their specials. I buy half their supply of caramel wafers when they have them. (yes I know,..not exactly good for the waistline.)
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Does anyone else on here know that Aldi owns Trader Joe's, and has since the late 80's?
  • earlnabby
    Options
    The fresh produce at our aldi's is horrible! I price match at Walmart. I love their fit and active line of food.

Mine is hit or miss. Sometimes the produce is great and sometimes I go elsewhere. I always stop at Aldi first. There is a major regional supermarket (Pick 'n Save) directly on my way home from Aldi so I can fill in what I don't get.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else on here know that Aldi owns Trader Joe's, and has since the late 80's?

Not exactly. They were once two companies owned by two brothers, but they split over an argument on whether or not to sell cigarettes.

Both brothers are named Albrecht, a good German name.

I love Aldi! I shopped it when it wasn't local and emailed them and asked them to open a store where I live.

Yesterday was the store's grand opening.

Aldi, besides having quality products at unbeatable prices (usually) also has inspirational ethics when it comes to how they treat their employees. Employees are paid very well, full-time, with benefits.

The German work ethic puts Wal-mart to shame in EVERY way!
  • kathrineb57
    kathrineb57 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Aldi's produce is a bargain. You just need to be selective and eat it soon after purchase. It tends to be more ripe. So, munch it, crunch it, steam it, freeze it, it is all good at those low prices.
  • kathrineb57
    kathrineb57 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Oh yea! I really have fallen in love with the Fit & Active brand at Aldi's. Top notch products and the best prices. A perfect combo for a single parent, trying to eat healthy and lose weight, and feed a growing 10 year boy. He likes the Millville cereals better than the name brands he always begged for. Isn't that great!

I did notice that they don't always have what is advertised in the weekly flyer. This Aldi's might be smaller store and seems to have an issue with space. But that is ok. I can live with that.

Before I moved to another part of town, I always went to Dillions, because it was a block away from home. Not bad on their pricing and good quality stuff. I moved, and Aldi's is within walking distance from my home. I have found my new store.

I don't ever go to Walmart, unless it is absolutely necessary. Don't like the crowds, and even though they have good pricing, I always feel "sucked in" to feeding the corporate monster. My daughter tells me horror stories about Walmart, and is one of the places she has boycotted.

So glad I found Aldi's.
    Kathrine from Kansas
  • Elsiebeanns
    Elsiebeanns Posts: 14
    Options
    Yep. A lot of their food is the same at both stores, just packaged different.
  • earlnabby
    Options

Not exactly. They were once two companies owned by two brothers, but they split over an argument on whether or not to sell cigarettes.

Both brothers are named Albrecht, a good German name.

I love Aldi! I shopped it when it wasn't local and emailed them and asked them to open a store where I live.

Yesterday was the store's grand opening.

Aldi, besides having quality products at unbeatable prices (usually) also has inspirational ethics when it comes to how they treat their employees. Employees are paid very well, full-time, with benefits.

The German work ethic puts Wal-mart to shame in EVERY way!

Internationally, ALDI Nord operates in Denmark, France, the Benelux countries, the Iberian peninsula, and Poland, while ALDI Süd operates in Ireland, the United Kingdom, Hungary, Switzerland, Australia, Austria, and Slovenia. Both ALDI Nord and Aldi Süd also operate in the United States; Aldi Nord is owner of the Trader Joe's chain while Aldi Süd operates as Aldi.

This is why my friend in France gets Trader Joe's products in her Aldi.
  • sukita24
    sukita24 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love the Sweet potato chips and Root vegetable chips. They are so Expensive at the grocery store, then I go to Aldi and they are half the price anywhere else...and honestly they are better tasting they are ribbed and crispier. I also found the chocolate section YUMMMM best chocolate. Most is from Germany. So good.

I also love those chips! I work at ALDI and had tried their sweet potato chips (the clancys brand) and they were pretty gross. It wasn't until a customer had me try the root veggie chips dipped in hummus that I learned how delicious they are. I've since tried the simply nature just sweet potato chips and they're amazing too.
  • robomobo
    robomobo Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi everyone. I can't believe I didn't set foot into an Aldi until about 5 months ago!
    I love their goat cheese when it is available. I used to go to Trader Joe's for a good deal but then....ALDI =)

First day/First post.
  • TheChicGeekDee
    TheChicGeekDee Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Halloumi cheese! It only comes out during the summer season, so we look forward to it. I also love the tinned mackerel fillets. Aldi is my main store. I go to Iceland, Savers, 99p Store and Nisa for things I can't get at Aldi.

I converted to Aldi over 5 years ago. It has ruined me for other stores as I have a near encyclopaedic knowledge of the prices of most of the things that I purchase regularly :smile: