My Life with PCOS

Options
Hi everyone…I’m so glad to see this group. I wish this condition didn’t affect so many of us but I am glad to see the support.

I will try to keep this short but this is my first time sharing so sorry if this a bit boring .  Since the age of about 13 my periods were virtually nonexistent…coming maybe every 1-2 years. My weight just went through the roof and it was frustrating because I felt like no matter what I did nothing made it better. And on top of that no one in family understood. All of this certainly made my adolescence rough. (No surprise there)

While in college, I really let everything go to the back burner getting to almost 300lbs. I had no health insurance but worst I had hope for myself. A few days after my 22 birthday I became feeling very “strange” and very sluggish and dazed. They’d be days where I would sleep from 6pm until 11am the next day and one day I slept through my internship and classes….I felt dazed and buried for several days and I had clue what to do. The next day while driving I passed out at the wheel. I don’t remember much just driving and suddenly everything went black and I heard a bang. Luckily no one was hurt. I call this moment my awakening because after that they discovered that I had an insulinoma tumor. Which is a tumor in the pancreas that produces too much insulin…I believe these still are pretty rare about 1-4 cases per million people. I still don’t understand much of the medical reasonings or how when develops this. I don’t believe it is related to PCOS but rather just a random stop in my life I wanted to share. Anyway after being hospitalized for 6 months they removed the tumor at the National Institutes of Health.

After surgery I lost a lot of weight about 45lbs and things got better for me. (Still no mensies)The doctors did say this would happen since I had gained so much weight prior to being diagnosis. The weight just fell off and began being able to more active. I fell in love with life and met the love of my life in the coming years. However after being my lightest at 230lbs the weight slowly crept up again. This time at a much slower rate but still I gained about 25lbs back in the cross of 2 years.

I was slowly getting back to that dark place again. Finally after getting on stable health insurance I looked up a doctor in the Philadelphia area who specializes in PCOS. After waiting 1 year to see her I am finally on way to understanding PCOS and how I can manage this as an adult. She has been wonderful. Currently I am on Met and a bunch of other ones. Fish oil, thyroid medicine, birth control…etc. Now being 26 I desperately want to make this change stick. I’m engaged and eventually want to be a mother. I use this last part as my motivation.

Wow…that was long! Thank you if you read this. I hope this time is different for me and I can make this work!!! Good luck to all you ladies and congrats for dealing with this condition. 

Replies

• madambutterfly91
    madambutterfly91 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Congrats on figuring out what you need to do. All I can say is future children is my motivation too and it's a strong one. Because PCOS is hereditary understanding it for your own health is great, but also for them. My mom has been a great recourse since she had it too and she was able to let me know it was going to be ok when I got diagnosed. I'm hoping to instill a better relationship with food in my future children, but that has to start with me. I'm only just starting this journey, and it sure feels like society is trying to kill us some days but I know that my family will be better off in the long run if I take the time now to learn all I can.
  • LittleMsJai
    LittleMsJai Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing that. I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one. Using my future children as motivation has been my hidden little secert and has helped keep me focused this time around. It can be so hard because vanity or attention doesn't motivate me because I've been heavy for so long. But thinking of my future and one day being a mom really does something to me. :-) Good luck to you sweetie! :-)
  • LoriLasswell
    LoriLasswell Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am in pretty much the exact same place. PCOS with Insulin Resistance. Diagnosed at 14 - I've only ever had two periods without the assistance of BCP or other hormonal meds. I'm trying to get my weight down so I won't have to use expensive (often not covered by insurance) fertility meds. My husband and I want to start trying in a year and a half to get the kids started. Even though they don't exist yet, I worry about how I'll instill a healthy relationship with food with them, and I'm already hoping if we have any daughters that they take after the women in his family, and not mine.

Some women put pictures of really fat people on their refrigerator to keep them from making poor eating choices. I put up baby pictures of me and my husband LOL
  • melodymedlin
    melodymedlin Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group and congrats on making the change to be the healthiest you can be!!! I've been where you are at in my PCOS journey and I can tell you just to put one foot in front of the other; and never give up. :drinker: