Local Restaurants

Options
Wandering_1
Wandering_1 Posts: 95 Member
We love to eat out. Finding a restaurant that offers lower calorie meals is a lot harder then I thought. One problem is I don't eat fish. I'm learning portion control so it's getting a bit easier but I still miss the fried foods. One of my favorite restaurants is Houlihans. I get the Petite Filet, Asparagus, & a Caesar Salad dressing on the side. Who would have thought dipping your fork in the dressing would be enough picking up a bite of lettuce? I'm learning but it's tough. Does anyone have any favorite eating places & recommendations?

Replies

• MismatchedAlmonds
    MismatchedAlmonds Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't have a specific restaurant, but I will say I think I'm going to find value in two things--

1) Trying new restaurants. Working with Bitesquad taught be that there are a TON of hidden gems around here and lots of cuisine I want to try. Maybe I'll stumble on a new herb or dish I can make at home.

2) HealthyOut. It's an app that suggests restaurants and their dishes based on your specified diet preferences--I think there's low cal, low fat, high protein, vegetarian...I think there's like 9 options.

I know that's not what you asked for, but thats my attitude towards eating out lately. :)
  • havenoenvyonlylove
    havenoenvyonlylove Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm always on the look out for good restaurants with good vegetarian options (they have meat dices too of course ), and they are on the healthy side. Barbary Fig -mediterranean, Namaste Cafe - Nepalese, Supatra Thai, Caffe Latte (salad and soup bar), Lifetime Cafe . For fast food you can get the unwhich at Jimmy Johns, or a rice veggie bowl at Chipotles. Brunch: Louisiana Cafe has organic/ego white options and good omelettes. Day by Day cafe has good options, and Claddagh Cafe also has good options (soups, veggie wraps etc). Burrito Mercado has corn tortillas, rajas (fajita filling), mango plantain salad so that will be next. Fasika hhas this huge vegetarian plate you can share with a couple friends (or meat too). Most of these are Saint Paul Based , would love to hear some Minneapolis restaurants, esp veggie :)
  • Wandering_1
    Wandering_1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm going to check out the healthy out app. When I go to restaurants I always ask if they have a nutrition sheet. Some do, some don't. Also I will check their website to see if they have the info & will plan my meal ahead of time. I'm tired of the same old same old.

One thing I notice here is there really isn't any salad bar restaurants. In Texas we had Souper Salad & SoupPlantation. I told my husband I want to open a salad bar restaurant & buy all the produce from farmers as well as grow my veggies myself. I'm just not sure it would work here. It's tough being healthy.
  • mweb21
    mweb21 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Salad bar restaurant? I've never heard of it. Flame in Roseville has a decent salad bar though.
  • denisejohnson754365
    Options
    Maybe our group could meet for lunch some time
  • RhymesWithSprite
    RhymesWithSprite Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good Earth in Roseville is organic and delicious. Lots of healthy options there but I'm not sure if they have a nutrition sheet. Ruby Tuesday in Rosedale has a pretty decent salad bar. You can also go to a restaurant, pick something and tailor it to your needs, i.e. burger with no bun, veggies instead of French fries, etc. Good luck!
  • andfoodjusticeforall
    Options
    A better question is which restaurants are easy to log? One idea I've had is to get a group of MyFitnessPal users together to write restaurants to put dishes into MyFitnessPal so we can log them. Would anyone be interested? Shoot me a message if so.