Would you enter a race knowing you could come in last?

Options
pobalita
pobalita Posts: 741 Member
One of my 2014 goals is to run one half marathon or more per month. I've found only two races in July that don't conflict with my marathon training or other obligations, or aren't ridiculously inconvenient to get to. One is a road race - and I do ok on road races - but, it's is two hours from my house and it doesn't appear to be very well organized. It doesn't look that appealing to me. The other is a trail run that is much closer to home and well organized; I've done 10-mile races on this course before. However, when looking at my times on recent comparable trail runs and comparing them to the last few halfs held on this route, it looks like there is a good possibility that I could come in last. (It wasn't an issue for the 10-mile races because they are much larger.)

I know that I can't predict who will be there or how many people will run, but based on what I do know, last place in the trail run is a possibility. Would you enter a race if you thought this might happen? Part of me says to just suck it up and forget my ego, but, really, I don't want to be last.

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would and I have. My first triathlon I was DFL (very small race) and in at least one other very small road race. It's really not that bad. Plus, always leaves room for improvement.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Yes. But I am not competitive and don't care if everybody else is faster than I am . Lots of people are. I am faster than others. Its a crap shoot who decides to run a particular race. I do it for fun.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Not being able to finish is more of a concern than finishing last. I'd rather get DFL any day of the week than a DNF.
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Since it's one of many halfs you will do this year and you are also tackling a marathon, I would consider it good for the ego and motivation and suck it up. If I were only looking to do one or two races in the year I would probably look for one where I would have a better chance at being middle of the pack.

Agree DFL>DNF.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Would, did, and was last, but it was fine. If I thought I was going to be last by like hours I might not, I'd hate to be a significant hold up, but someone's gotta be last.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    If I thought there was a chance I would be swept then I would not enter but simply finishing last would not bother me (much ????).
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I would still do it. Knowing that I would come in last would only give me a little bit more of a challenge to be second to last. Plus its the finishing that counts. Anytime I cross a start line I am determined to finish, no longer how long it takes, no matter how, even crawling. And if you do come in last, then next year you train to better.
    I just finished a half marathon, I really got my butt handed to me in the hills and the warm weather.. But I finished, I did not make my time goal and I definitely did not PR but I crossed that finish line.

FINISH WHAT YOU START!!
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Absolutely... I have come in last in my gender/age group in a couple of races - and was very nearly last in a 10K back in March (3rd from DLF in a field of about 200 runners).

The only person I'm competing with out there is myself.

The day I was nearly DLF was a 6 minute PR in the 10K distance... no way I can count that as anything BUT a victory.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    If I didn't do races where there is a legitimate likelihood of me being DFL, I wouldn't race at all. I race myself and the sweeper bus, and honestly tell myself that people finish ahead of me so they can cheer for me when I finally get there. It's a lie and it's cheesy, but being DFL is a very real possibility for me at every event.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    DFL = Dead f'ing last???

ETA: And yes, I would run, but to be honest, I would try my damnedest not to be DFL.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    If I didn't do races where there is a legitimate likelihood of me being DFL, I wouldn't race at all. I race myself and the sweeper bus, and honestly tell myself that people finish ahead of me so they can cheer for me when I finally get there. It's a lie and it's cheesy, but being DFL is a very real possibility for me at every event.

❤️❤️❤️???????????? Since the majority of races I run are put on by the race company I work for or the running club I'm in I usually know a ton of people running them as well. I always say "save me a place at the finish" to all the runners who undoubtably finish ahead of me lol. "Keep my spot warm" etc. Its all in fun. Who wants to finish first and worry about following the lead cyclist anyway lol.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Yes, sure. Somebody has to be last? I was almost last a trail half race. I was 3rd from last.
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Not being able to finish is more of a concern than finishing last. I'd rather get DFL any day of the week than a DNF.

This all the way!

I'm a little competitive and I probably wouldn't like to be last but I'd still do it. I race to beat myself, not anybody else.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Someone is always last. Who cares! I would do it. Do the race you want to do!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I was in a race where I was DFL... and first place. I think that's actually the worst. But heck yeah, I'd gladly be last as long as I was having fun.
  • PollyWolly98
    PollyWolly98 Posts: 112
    Options
    Definitely do the trail race. I just completed my first trail race yesterday and it was so much fun. All of the changes in terrain and scenery kept me from being bored and the time flew by. I'm not sure your pace, but I am not a fast runner and I was in the middle of the women (only 50, so it was a small group). You may not need to be concerned about being last and even if you are, who cares!?
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Finishing last means you finished ahead of the sweepers. My goal, ever since running trails (for the past year lol) has always been to just finish. One of these days I will concern myself with being "competitive" but for now, finishing is always the main goal.

Last weekend I ran a 24 hour timed event. I completed 75 miles...in 23:30. There was one guy on the course longer, and he did 100. The RD, who I volunteered for before my first ultra last year, emailed and congratulated me. I was 4th overall, but only because I just wouldn't quit. The rub is I know I wouldn't finish 100 miles in the customary 30h cutoff. I gave all I could. I am coming off an injury, so I know I probably wasn't at my best, HOWEVER it's going to be a long tough road to beating cutoffs in August. I don't give a $#!+ if I'm last. I want to beat the sweep.

One of the great things about trail races is you will still have supporters at the very end of the event cheering you on as you finish. It's a great feeling to finish. I'm sure winning is a good feeling too, but finishing is awesome. So long story short, GO FOR IT!
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Definitely. I am signed up for an 8k race in July where I probably will be last, based on last year's results. I know I can improve on my best time and that is my goal for the race. Several people from our running group will be there so I will have the biggest cheering section when I cross the finish line!
  • 321blueeyes
    321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I've been last finisher in a 21k trail race. Thought I was 2nd to last, but turns out the person behind me dropped out (it was 2x figure-eight course, he dropped with 1/2 loop remaining).

No one working the race seemed to care & there was still food left over. Felt great to finish, no matter my time!
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Finishing is a victory in and of itself. Even if you come in dead last, you still beat the guy who stayed home on the couch.

Excellent point!