Ultra Marathon training plans

Options
RunFarLiveHappy
RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
Hey crazy runners ???? I am just beginning to look for ultra marathon training plans. I found one that seems pretty thorough on runners world but if you have one that you've had good luck with please post it and why it worked well for you. This is the one I found:

http://www.runnersworld.com/ultra-marathons/ultimate-ultramarathon-training-plan?page=single

I'm especially looking forward to weeks 12 and 13 (4 hours Sat, 5 hours Sun), and by looking forward to them I mean if I don't die I will actually register for the ultra in October. Haha.

This training plan would have me starting week one on June 23rd for week 16 to end the date of my desired race. In the meantime I'm trying to log as many miles as I can on tired legs. I finished my run at 10:45 pm the other night and ran at 4:15 am another day. I'm also running 2-a-days whenever I can. If there's anything else you'd recommend me doing in the meantime I'm open to any suggestions! (Currently running 40-60 mpw). Thank you!

Replies

• Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out the book "Relentless Progress Forward"? this was my husband's first UM book and he says it has a good training plan section in it.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options
    Have you checked out the book "Relentless Progress Forward"? this was my husband's first UM book and he says it has a good training plan section in it.

I am brand new to researching everything! Thank you so much for the referral. I will seek it out!
  • Carrieendar
    Options
    I dont do ultras, but he loved the book so much he begged me to read it. I found some great tips in there that applied to all running. I read "Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness" (Scott Jurek's book) and I really liked that as well, but I don't think it would help so much with a specific ultra plan, but it's definitely a great book on the subject of ultrarunning.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options

Great book!

OP: Here are some great ultra plans for various distances by the Ultraladies.
    http://www.trailrunevents.com/ul/schedule-50k.asp

I'm doing their 100 mile plan for a 50 mile race (why not?). For now anyway. I'm about to engage a coach and I'm sure my plan will go out the window! :o)
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I based my plan on Relentless Forward Progress as well. Great read.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options
    Thank you guys!! I'm checking my library now for both books!! (And maybe others?) Luckily I LOVE to read! #cantwait
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options

Great book!

I'm doing their 100 mile plan for a 50 mile race (why not?). For now anyway. I'm about to engage a coach and I'm sure my plan will go out the window! :o)

I like the philosophy behind this site, thanks! I just wish the plan was timed not by distance. I will peruse it a bit more though, thanks!
  • Carrieendar
    Options
    I love reading running books. Here are more of my favs:

Principles of Running: Practical Lessons from my First 100,000 MIles (Burfoot)
    YOU (Only Faster) (McMillan)
    The New Rules of Marathon and Half Marathon Nutrition: Fuel your body beyond the wall (Fitzgerald)
    Racing Weight (Fitzgerald)
    Run or Die (Jornet)
    My Life on the Run (Yasso)
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options
    I love reading running books. Here are more of my favs:

Principles of Running: Practical Lessons from my First 100,000 MIles (Burfoot)
    YOU (Only Faster) (McMillan)
    The New Rules of Marathon and Half Marathon Nutrition: Fuel your body beyond the wall (Fitzgerald)
    Racing Weight (Fitzgerald)
    Run or Die (Jornet)
    My Life on the Run (Yasso)

Thanks!! Racing Weight surely will come in handy so I don't gain 20 pounds...lol.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options

Great book!

I like the philosophy behind this site, thanks! I just wish the plan was timed not by distance. I will peruse it a bit more though, thanks!

I prefer plans with miles and not time. The exact opposite of what you like! You must be fast. Those timed based ones just won't work for me. If my goal is just to finish a 50M race and beat the 14 hour cutoff, or whatever it is, it does little good to tell me for my longest run I need to run for 3 hours. That may only get me 25% of my final distance. To a speedster, 3 hours will put them a long way down the road. So I prefer time. I end up, of course, spending a lot more time on my feet than most. :o)
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I echo what cyprian said. Also why I ran for distance, not time. Awesome that you're getting ready to go ultra! Here are some plans I gathered when I was prepping.
    http://www.pinterest.com/cfaye78/50-miler/