Best Apps for tracking food and exercise

Options
Hi,
I am having GVS on 5/13. I would like your opinions of the best apps for tracking food intake and exercise. Any ideas and suggestions?

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Myfitnesspal. There is an app for it. I don't know what I would do without it.
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    MFP has been a lifesaver for me. Not only to get into the daily routine of logging food and exercise, but for the 'friends' feedback, advice and support for what you are going through. I also use MFP to make a meal plan for the day so I can see if and where I need to cut back or add in something in order to be close to my goals.

Karen
  • gsbbz
    gsbbz Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I just downloaded it and getting to know the program.
  • tabithascatena
    tabithascatena Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree, My Fitness Pal is the best! I've been using it for over a year and love it. Best of lunchk with your surgery!!
  • JxAAA
    JxAAA Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I initially tried Lose it which is similar to MyFitnessPal and then switched over. I felt this app had a higher number of users that allowed me to connect with people on a similar journey. It's easy to use, I can access it on my phone or a PC. I love that it's compatible with other devices or apps like a fitbit, mapy my walk or map my run. If you have an IPhone 5 MFP will automatically update your steps and the android update is coming soon.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    MFP for tracking food and caloric intake. Get a FitBit to track caloric burn and link them together. Amazing tools!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Love MFP for all of it. I make a lot of my own soups and things like that because then I can control the calories, protein and sodium. The Recipe Builder on here is great! Just one of the features I really like.
  • novagramma
    novagramma Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For my walk tracking, I've been using Runkeeper and love it. It connects to MyFitnessPal and puts in the calories used for you. It also tracks how far you've walked and keeps a log for you.
  • kglowins
    kglowins Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My fitness pal is great for tracking food intake. However, it's not so great for tracking exercise. I talked to my dietician about how I noticed MFP tracked my calories burned during a work out at a much higher level than the machines at the gym. She informed me it's not a great tool for tracking exercise for calories burned. But great if you just want to document the fact that you are exercising.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate strap with the Garmin ViVo Fit to know the real burn I'm getting with my cardio and log that along with diet in MFP. I found MFP's burn estimates were way too high for me. Same with the burn calculated by my exercise equipment, (even when using the embedded HR monitor in the handles). The heart rate chest strap is just way more accurate. I find I can have a 100 calorie difference from day to day, using the same workout length and resistance level! It all depends on how "hard" I work it and how fatigued I happen to be that day.
  • gsbbz
    gsbbz Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions and support. Have the MFP and Fitbit. Looking forward to good tracking and good results.:glasses: