Dash Diet

Options
carolssalva
carolssalva Posts: 546 Member
Is anyone doing this diet? I think this is the secret to Howie's 98lb weight loss this year. I just heard Dr. Heller (author) talking about it on XM Radio/Dr. Radio. Sounded pretty good. I know some of the starches would put weight on me but I bet it is very effective for many. Just wondering what folks thought. Howie??

Replies

• howie6267
    howie6267 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Yes this is what I try to follow and it works really well for me. It is also almost identical to the American Heart Association diet guidelines. The NHLBI just put a catchy Acronym to it which stands for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH). They also did a much better job of putting a booklet together to help you follow it. You can read more about it here http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/dash/ and download or order the booklet for free here http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/index.htm About the only thing I never make is there recommendation for sodium. It is really hard to make it under 1500 grams of sodium. I am usually about 2500. They also don't advocate my treat night but it works for me.
  • carolssalva
    carolssalva Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Bumping this post up because A LOT of people have found this DASH diet as a way to find success and Howie found that he could tweak it while still having success (cheat night). I think it is important to consider a lot of different ways of eating when you're looking for what you'll find enjoyable and sustainable.
    NOTICE: Again, this WOE is focusing on real food and pushing away processed junk. Hard to argue with that.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Gonna Look in to it Thanks Carol
  • kris3b
    kris3b Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Well shucks Carol, another plan to consider. Thanks:) I saw this on PBS awhile ago. May be a bit high carb for me right now. It is definitely healthy and perhaps easier with my eating disorder history. hmmm???