Weighing Yourself

Options
PatrickB_87
PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
I thought this would be a helpful article to some as I know the scale is always an issue and he has some good practical advice about weighing yourself and common issues.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/how-to-weigh-yourself-accurately/

Replies

• kaliya89
    kaliya89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    That's so interesting! I know it's best to weigh yourself in the morning, but I had no idea it could change that drastically! I also didn't realize that weather influences scales. Definitely useful information to keep in mind! Thanks for sharing! :smile:
  • claudie08
    claudie08 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thanks RatPat! This was very interesting. How is a person to know what their true weight is when there is such a difference among the scales?

I had an experience where I used my son's digital scale to weigh myself one morning. Five attempts gave me 5 different results. I thought the scale was malfunctioning so I went and got my own digital which is what I now use to track my progress. I programmed my information and weighed myself. Just for comparison, I used my son's scale again and found that there is a difference between the two - his scale is about 4 ounces less than mine. But since I had bad readings before, I wasn't sure which was the accurate weight.

Now, I use both when weighing myself. As long as that 4 ounce difference is still there, then I know my weight is accurate. It's annoying and I'll stop at some point, but for now, this is what works for me.
  • PatrickB_87
    Options
    Hi Claudie,

I'm glad you found it interesting. I took two points away from it. If you really want reliable measurements (even if they are reliably slightly off) use a balance beam scale. Not very sexy and takes up room but its about as expensive as a good digital and it works far more reliable. If not then use the same digital scale at the same time of day.

I also liked his idea that if you weigh often then keep a spreadsheet of your weights and do a point graph with an average line to truly see where your weight is through all the fluctuation in measurements and just use that and ignore what the scale says.

If anyone wants me to put together such a spreadsheet with the graph to use just let me know.
  • KarenZen
    KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I think he missed out on the most important parts of weighing yourself, so here are my additions:

Weigh yourself before showering so you aren't weighing your wet hair.

Weigh yourself naked. If the neighbors see you, just wave and ask, "do I look thinner yet?"

Weigh yourself after your big morning pee (and, if at all possible, your big morning poop). If not happy with your first weigh in, jump around, drink a hot cup of coffee, dance, pee, poop, and try again.

Weigh yourself all over the room. You might weigh half a pound less if you weigh yourself in the doorway or by the sink. Keep moving the scale from place to place until you weigh the least.

Buy a digital scale that talks and bump into it every night at 2 a.m. when you get up to pee. Our scale says, "Hello. I'm ready." then it gives the weight. Then it says "Goodbye." My husband LOVES to be awakened by "Hello, I'm ready" at 2 a.m.

I think that covers it.
  • claudie08
    claudie08 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I think he missed out on the most important parts of weighing yourself, so here are my additions:

Weigh yourself before showering so you aren't weighing your wet hair.

Weigh yourself naked. If the neighbors see you, just wave and ask, "do I look thinner yet?"

Weigh yourself after your big morning pee (and, if at all possible, your big morning poop). If not happy with your first weigh in, jump around, drink a hot cup of coffee, dance, pee, poop, and try again.

Weigh yourself all over the room. You might weigh half a pound less if you weigh yourself in the doorway or by the sink. Keep moving the scale from place to place until you weigh the least.

Buy a digital scale that talks and bump into it every night at 2 a.m. when you get up to pee. Our scale says, "Hello. I'm ready." then it gives the weight. Then it says "Goodbye." My husband LOVES to be awakened by "Hello, I'm ready" at 2 a.m.

I think that covers it.

Karen - you're too funny!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I did weigh myself all over the room when I tried 5 different times. I even changed rooms (thinking that might make a difference? and backwards, too!!) And yes, I weigh myself first thing in the morning, after the bathroom break and just before I jump in the shower. I also found that I weigh about less AFTER a shower!! All that hot water and sweat!!!

RatPack - that spreadsheet is way too much for me, but I do appreciate the offer. As long as the scale is going in the right direction, that's all I need to make me happy.
  • debunny34
    debunny34 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ratpack for sharing that. It was really interesting. Who would have thought the weather could play a part in it. I wonder if the a/c on artic counts since we keep ours cold at night to keep from sweating to death lol

LMAO Karen!!! I sat here laughing out loud at your post!! Thanks for the laugh!
  • PatrickB_87
    Options

I think that covers it.

I think thats the Weight Watchers method. Every meeting before weigh in as people lined up each person would make a b-line to the bathroom in a desperate bid to pee or poop off that extra pound. As you ask yourself, how much could I strip off before this became indecent.
  • KarenZen
    Options

I think that covers it.

I think thats the Weight Watchers method. Every meeting before weigh in as people lined up each person would make a b-line to the bathroom in a desperate bid to pee or poop off that extra pound. As you ask yourself, how much could I strip off before this became indecent.

Hahaha... I remember those weigh ins, with women taking off their earrings even! My sister would keep her underwear and socks in her purse and put them on after weigh in.
  • mikesgirl4evr
    mikesgirl4evr Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Oh Karen, you so made me laugh, especially over the waving to the neighbors. As someone who keeps her scale in the kitchen (because there is no where to put it in my tiny, apartment bathroom) and does weigh in the nude much to the amusement of my man.
  • Healthy4Sarah
    Healthy4Sarah Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one who circles the room half naked with the scale lol
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one who circles the room half naked with the scale lol

We haven't even begun to talk about all the leaning and bending and shifting from one foot to the other. All while naked. And shouting, "what the hell!!??!!!"
  • debunny34
    debunny34 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    LOL!!!!!! I so do all of this too!! Thankfully in my bathroom where there are no windows haha!! I curse the scale also, and get on it at least 5 times until I get a weight that is at least close to one I just got out of the five since it seems because I am fat my scale doesn't like to weigh me correctly the first time. My husband can get on it and then get on again and it will be the same for him. For me, when I get on I get on again, and it may be 5 pounds difference...so I have to start cursing it until it gets at least two of them the same, or at least a few tenths of a pound away from each other before I count it lol
  • KarenZen
    Options
    This week I was weighed on five different scales on five different days at five different times of day (once at home and four times at doctor appointments). The scales jumped up and down EIGHT POUNDS. At my last weigh in, I actually tried standing on one foot and expelling all the breath from my body,

What I really want is to have one of those muscle/fat percentage things done. I'd like to know how much muscle is hiding under my fat.
  • PatrickB_87
    Options
    This week I was weighed on five different scales on five different days at five different times of day (once at home and four times at doctor appointments). The scales jumped up and down EIGHT POUNDS. At my last weigh in, I actually tried standing on one foot and expelling all the breath from my body,

What I really want is to have one of those muscle/fat percentage things done. I'd like to know how much muscle is hiding under my fat.

Thats why i posted the article, eight pound fluctuation throughout the day is pretty amazing and could be completely depressing if people didn't understand why. I agree that you should weigh yourself in the morning, and i like his recommendation to do an average graph to track your weight .

You should ask your doctor or dietitian, they will likely have it. They hand held models are convenient but the calipers are suppose to be more accurate. I know some of the wallgreens have the blood pressure, weight, bmi machines that can also do bodyfat.
  • loriarty
    loriarty Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I tend to weight myself daily in the morning after my morning potty time. Personally it just feels the best. And I like to weight daily because I just like to see how food affected me. And now I'm in the habit of only logging it if it's lower than my previous weigh in lol.