Lower back very sore after barbell rows this morning - Help?

Options
willrun4bagels
willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
I started SL5x5 last week (I am hooked!!!), and today was my third time doing workout A. The first two times, I had no issues or pain with the barbell row, but this morning I increased the weight 5# from last week for a total of 60# today. I didn't feel anything different or any pain when I was completing the sets, and I completed all 5 sets without feeling too much fatigue. Within 5 minutes of finishing the last set of rows, my muscles in my lower back have all been incredibly sore, almost like I slept on a rock. I've tried to stretch for a few minutes as soon as I got home from the gym, but didn't have much time to do anything before I had to leave for work today. I have not taken any medication. It's not a sharp pain anywhere, just general soreness and tightness in that area.

Are there any stretches that anyone can suggest to help? I have a foam roller if anyone can suggest anything using that.

Also, what are some ways that I can ensure this doesn't happen again the next time I do workout A? When I'm doing the barbell row, I am trying to keep my back as flat as I can, I keep my head up and look in the mirror (or should I be keeping my head down towards the floor - is this where I went wrong??:embarassed: ). I also have very long legs in relation to my arm length (I am 6'2", legs are a 37" inseam in pants) - so I feel like I really have to bend my knees quite a bit when doing rows so that my arms are low enough to grab the barbell from the ground. Could I be bending my knees/midsection too much?

Thanks for your help and suggestions!! :heart:

Replies

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Well, you did squat before as well so there is a possibility here that the combinatino is what made your back sore. Try rolling out your hamstring and psoas (I think that's the name? That's the really tender spot in the middle of your buttcheek. Cross the one leg over the other and lean over to that side and roll your butt a bit, see if that helps lossen things up).

Next, you want to keep your head neutral for the most part with both squats and rows.

Make sure you don't bend forward too much with your squat on the way up, that can be a lower back killer right there.

On the rows, bending the knees is fine, but if you don't have access to bumper plates you might want to find blocks or extra plates to prop the bar up to about mid-shin level. Hook your big toe in to keep the legs locked out and engaged, it'll take some strain away from your lower back. If it's still bothering you after a few workouts, or gets worse, you can switch to more regular barbell rows where your back is at a less angle.

Hope that helps!
  • willrun4bagels
    Options
    That helps a lot, thank you very much for taking the time to write everything out for me! I'll foam roll as soon as I am home from work later and see if that helps. I will also raise the bar up with some plates stacked underneath next time.

One question - when you say "hooking your big toe in to keep legs locked" - what does that mean?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it started when you upped the weight which leads me to believe that you're rounding your back or there's a breakdown in form somewhere. Obviously would need to see a video. Your back shouldn't hurt right after you do a lift. Also, if the weights are not elevated to 8.5" then you could be overly bending which = lower back flexion. So...work on form, elevate the weights, or switch to Bent Over Barbell Rows (my preference as I hate Barbell Rows from the floor).
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    @Leadfoot= could you please explain the difference between the barbell row in question and the bent over barbell row?
    Thanks~
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I actually was having a lot of low back pain in my last few lifts.

I realized that it was due to my squats though. I was trying to suck my stomach in while squatting because I thought that was how you were supposed to use them. Now I PUSH my belly out and I found that has helped a lot.

I also do some stretches afterwards. I just googled and found these ones https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNN3K2qj-L0
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    @dldoddy - A Barbell Row aka Pendlay Row starts and ends from the ground. With a Bent Over Barbell Row you lift the bar off the ground, put your back to about 45 degree angle, and "row" the weight. It's totally a personal preference as to which one you choose. I have personally never liked the feel of Pendlay Rows and "feel" it more when I do Bent Over Barbell Rows, hence the reason why I prefer them.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    That helps a lot, thank you very much for taking the time to write everything out for me! I'll foam roll as soon as I am home from work later and see if that helps. I will also raise the bar up with some plates stacked underneath next time.

One question - when you say "hooking your big toe in to keep legs locked" - what does that mean?

It's really just a form cue that I find is helpful for moves where you want your legs to be stiff and contracted in order to keep solid. Basically thinking about trying to "hook" your big toe in the ground will create a tension and somewhat a "grip" type of thing with your shoe/the ground. That way your calves are engaged, and as a result your quads/hammies should follow suit. It's also a really good way to stay steady on one-legged moves.

And yeah, the bent-over row has more of an eccentric which might lead to better back muscle development over time. I personally like the pendlay row better because i'm working on explosiveness. They're still fairly similar though so either or won't make that big a difference unless you have a very specific goal :)
  • willrun4bagels
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I am going to do more stretching and foam rolling later today. Lots of things to keep in mind with my form for next time. If this persists, I will get someone to take a video and upload it to that thread for more insight.
  • gixbr
    gixbr Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This is silly but can you be in this position without falling on your back?

http://crossfitexp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/mobility-squat.jpg

I was having lower back pains every time I tried to squat deep, like I was supposed to and started doing leg press instead while my back healed. I then heard about something called squat mobility and quickly realized that I didn't have any. I noticed I was leaning my torso forward too much trying to get that balance and putting a lot of pressure on my lower back.

I've been slowly going back to squats but I do some mobility stretches first and I place two plates on the ground where I put my heels on. It gives me the extra height so I can get the form right, of course the goal is to not need them anymore. By the way, I heard something that helped me to know how I'm supposed to hold my chore before an exercise, just imagine you told someone to punch you in the stomach and you are preparing for it. :tongue: