You can do it!

Options
juliehardman
juliehardman Posts: 9 Member
I am a psychotherapist and a chronic pain sufferer. I work with a lot of clients who are living with chronic pain, depression and anxiety; what I call the triad that loves to live together. I have battled my weight for years and live with pain as a result of advanced osteoarthritis in both knees and ankles. I also suffered a mild TBI in a car accident two years ago and still live with post traumatic migraines and many post-concussive symptoms. While folks often mourn the loss of mobility or things they used to be able to do prior to injury and/or disease, I think it's important for all of us to remember that our pain is not who we are --- it's just a part of what we live with and we all have the resiliency and strength to forge ahead at a pace that makes sense for us. Be kind to yourself and be sure to reward each small accomplishment -- as they culminate into big positive changes! I'm happy to have found this group and hope to be able to connect with those of you who are making a commitment to wellness.
Cheers!

Replies

• bvifun
    bvifun Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Thank you for such a positive post and a great reminder for living with chronic pain. I read this on a day that I needed reminding about what I have been able to do vs. what I have been unable to do (that was where my mind was at before I read your post.)
  • LadyWeaselofVT
    LadyWeaselofVT Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Julie! I'm glad there are people like you working as psychotherapist. I'm in the healthcare field and see too many workers who are either lacking empathy or have compassion fatigue. We don't always have answers for people suffering from chronic pain but the least we can do offer them is some kindness and compassion.
  • albelite
    albelite Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have just joined this group, I am diabetic, osteoarthritis in knee, back, shoulders etc, fibromyalgia and sciatica which is giving me hell at the moment and painkillers don't seem to help that much. I used to weigh 350 lb (25 stone) but lost 9 stone, then gained 4.5 but have got 2 stone off again so now i'm 18 stone 6 lb, I find it a struggle to keep to a diet every day with being a compulsive over eater by nature and sugar addict. I try to go swimming at least 3 times a week and go for a walk a couple of times a week, but have to push myself, it would be so easy to just sit around all day feeling depressed about my situation which has all been self inflicted with my weight probably, but I do think stress plays a big part which I live with on a daily basis, always been a worrier as well. I don't want to moan and really just want to keep motivated to lose more weight with the hope I will start to feel better in my health. Thanks Sue
  • 40Jamieful
    40Jamieful Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your compassionate and kind words. I sure needed to hear that today.
  • ddkphotos
    ddkphotos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    thanks for the positive reminder!
  • TabithaRyan68
    TabithaRyan68 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I suffer from fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. I worked a really high stress job for the last 17 years which I just quit in April. I quit with nothing to go to and the intention to take a couple of months off and try to feel a little better.
    And it worked. I joined here 5 weeks ago.
    I have always eaten healthy and now I'm eating even healthier. And I am working out everyday. Some days it is only a 15 minute slow walk but some days it is a 30 minute ride on the stationery bike.
    I think the chronic fatigue may be heading south I have been feeling that energetic. I still have pretty high pain levels every day (about 5 or 6/10) but if I don't do some type of exercise that easily increases to a 9.
    I'm really happy with the way things are heading. I am looking for a new job now and looking forward to a happier, healthier life.