Op recovery? How was it?

Hi Ladies and Gents, I'm new to this area, I'm 32 mother of 1,Transformation Manager at a large NGO and come from Australia (originally Sheffield UK) and was looking for people's stories on recovery after sleeve op. I'm no stranger to the similar surgery, after having a band in 2011 loosing 40kgs falling unexpectedly pregnant (I was told I wouldn't naturally conceive, beautiful blessing) and then having my band slip during pregnancy so four operations on from first and I'm due to have the sleeve in August. All my weight went back on when the band slipped and I really now have such a strong sense that these are just tools and my unhealthy relationship with food feels like an addiction so I've also got an intensive course of behavioural psychologist appointments to help with coping strategies during high danger times etc and to make big in roads with my mind as well as my body, I've bored myself stupid with all the medical facts and risks and delighted myself by obsessively watching the pre and post op piccys on the internet and so basically I am soooooo ready to do this and I'm tackling it at many different angles, I can not put myself, body and family through more surgery and not have some success so it's on. I'm just recovering from my last surgery (Monday) and realised I hadn't really considered the recovery. Other than the 'usual' op recovery issues (pain, shoulder tip etc) what have you guys noticed was significant to the sleeve op (particularly anyone who's already gone through band op) thanks so much in advance for your help :) feeling pumped BRING IT OOON!

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    I had my sleeve July 2011. Looked at the band but couldn't get past having something left behind inside me, so rejected that one. Recovery was easier than other surgeries I've had and I'm sure it's because they do this laprosopicly. My surgery was a Thursday mroning, I was up and walking that afternoon and off all pain meds by Saturday. The various stages of food were really not a problem for me either (liquids, then pureed, then soft, then regular food). Biggest challenge was then and still is now, getting all my water in each day. Each doctor is different, so each food plan also looks different. Getting ideas from others here is great, but we really can't compare ourselves to each other because of the doctor's individual differences. Of course you can't lift more than 10 pounds for awhile, so carrying the baby might be a problem for a bit.

Other than that, this isn't a real hard process. Don't get me wrong, it isn't easy, but it's doable. It's really all about choices and using the tool. Like you siad, every WLS is a tool. Use it well and you will lose the excess weight and keep it off. Stop using the tool and you will stop losing weight and regain. Simple really.

Good luck with your surgery and your weight loss. This is the best thing I have ever done for myself, my only regret is waiting so long to do it.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    You have truly realized the answer. "Why" we eat is the problem. We choose to medicate stress, boredom, anxiety, grief, fatigue, pain, unhappiness, etc. with food and then we turn around and celebrate with food. Some people get upset when I talk about food addiction. How dare I compare it to "real" addiction. There is no difference between me and an alcoholic in the pathology. My anxieties are simply satiated by vast quantities of food while his is vast quantities of liquor. I am not talking about societal views or the withdrawal process. Just the simple pathology of addiction. We choose to seek the high to run from the difficulties of life. We are choosing not to do the work and deal with the realities of life. Death, destruction, cancer, violence, injustice, depression and anxiety are part of the matrix of Glory we know as life. In fact they are integral to a full life. Divorce, cancer, death and other painful times have shaped my life. I always used to want a different life, I felt cheated. I didn't appreciate 100% the life God had given me. Now I have forgiven myself for being so self absorbed and not being awake to the potential for Grace in misery. Like any muscle we grow with stress strain and exertion. We are refined by suffering. I have been blessed to see people, who in the midst of enormous pain (death by suicide, child's death, violent death, death by cancer) chose to consecrate that pain and to embrace life. To not seek to runaway from their grief by medicating it with food/drink/drugs but be open to the potential for Grace. I am choosing to follow their example but it is a choice I have to make every day.Good luck
  • caccicoo
    caccicoo Posts: 59 Member
    Good on you for getting to the root problem! It took me years of counselling with a really terrific addictions counsellor to really dig down and clear away the wreckage of my past. It wasn't until then that I was really ready for the surgery. Since having the surgery, I have lost 57 lbs and since my peak weight I have lost 110 lbs. So many of us don't do all the work - physical, emotional, psychological, nutritional, spiritual (and I mean spiritual not religious). You have taken the first step on your road to complete recovery! I am cheering you on from Canada! If you want to have someone to chat with who has already walked this path, send me a message and I would love to email back and forth with you. :)
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    I was the first patient in on a Monday morning. They repaired a hiatial hernia while they were in there. It took me a little longer than average for me to get with it after the procedure, but once I was finally lucid, (about 4-5pm, I think), I was up doing laps in the halls. I was moving so much they skipped the anti-clotting shots an released me the next morning. The only time I had any nausea was when they tried to give me pain meds by mouth in the hospital, (something I don't tolerate on a good tummy day anyway). Didn't try that again and didn't really need them. I was back at work the middle of the next week.

Since then haven't had any issues. I eat what I like in small quantities, protein first. I exercise 5 days per week. Down to a size 6 from an 18. I'll evaluate my final goal in about 10 more pounds. Was 20 more, but I think 10 may be enough. Life is GOOD!