Joining a club!

Options
Lukejacksmum
Lukejacksmum Posts: 30 Member
Hello all, I have been thinking of joining my local cycling club(my husband is already a member) but I am scared :( I am very aware of how overweight I am and how slow. Do any of you ride with clubs? And how was your first time? Many thanks for any replies x

Replies

• bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I've never joined a club simply because I live too far away and actually enjoy riding alone. I have recently moved and am considering joining one, but don't know which one yet.

Most bike shops have them. And, there are a number of "No Drop" rides, meaning they go at the pace of the slowest bicyclist. Ask around and find one that has this.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I joined a more casual club thru meetup.com. They have a lot of no-drop rides and are very good about posting the miles, MPH, terrain, etc... so people know what they're getting into.

Still, I prefer to ride alone (or with my husband and our daughter) but it's nice to learn about new routes/trails/etc... from the club.
  • allenhandley
    allenhandley Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I am not a member of a club now (once was but moved) but I do ride with our LBS. We have several groups that ride at different speeds and most have no drop rides available. Plus there are always a few people that seen to ride the same pace. There is even a group for new riders which teaches them the rules of the road and how to ride in a larger group. Hope this helps.