An object inside the rim... huh?

Options
narak_lol
narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
A couple of days ago I am so excited to have received the brand new Shimano C24 CL... Yay my climbing wheels specially for the mountains in China next week.

Wait! What's that noise coming from the front wheel - let's hear...

http://youtu.be/fv6Qky8KAv8

1405-041223_2Faultywheel-photo_zpsf87e149a.jpg

Everything seems to be normal when received, no sound no rattling etc. so installed the tyres and was eagerly waiting for the weather to become OK.

Rolled it out yesterday and immediately noticed a rattling sound coming from the front wheel. After undo everything, it appears the "rim joint" (not sure if this is the right name) is loose and is the cause of the sound.

Contacted CRC who I purchased from, and waiting for the instructions on what is the fastest way for the exchange.:sad: :sad:

Replies

• harksy
    harksy Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Nice wheels hope you get them sorted quickly
    Strava QOM's are in danger all over China :smile:
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Sounds odd; has one of the spoke nipples become detached inside the wheel?

Deffo 'sounds' like a manufacturing fault... How old are they? Take 'em back!
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    in manufacture, the rim is basically an extruded strip of "profile aluminium" - they use a rolling press to form it into a kind of spiral, then snip them into individual hoops. The Carbon Inner section is dropped into place, and the hoop is then "pegged" at the joint with a small reinforcing bar and (usually) Welded together to form a seamless rim. Sometimes, the "peg" isn't secure, or just "doesn't weld" properly, and generally it's picked up by the QA inspections. However, occasionally the peg is wedged into place, and only falls off after you fit a tyre or start battering the wheel up and down the road.

It's a manufacturing defect, simple as, and you should get a no-quibble replacement... CRC are usually fantastic on that score - only time I've had a similar thing, they've sent a courier with a replacement, who was authorised to collect the defective item at the same time.

Of course, this was within the UK, and your mileage may vary, being over in HK, at least in terms of the returns process... :-(
  • narak_lol
    Options
    Thanks harksy & cloggsy!

The wheel is just 1km old :laugh:
  • narak_lol
    Options
    Thanks for the details explanation, TBY! I got the picture now....

I am sure as well that CRC will replace it, while I have filed the required paperwork, will keep everyone posted on the progress. Normally I don't mind waiting but when it comes to wheels (or anything bike related) speed is the essence :bigsmile:
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    You're not the only one having wheel-woes Karan.

I've 'split' my Mavic rear wheel too - It's had to go back to be (hopefully replaced, or at the very least repaired...

13986215310_aa35534c2f.jpg

13986215060_b9b7f6506f.jpg

Guess I'm too powerful :bigsmile: (or more probably, a manufacturing fault) :blushing:
  • narak_lol
    Options
    I suspect the split is mainly due to the repeated powerful sprints :laugh:

Hope you can get a replacement soon!
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    When my front wheel went 'ping' on Saturday, the spoke nipple disappeared into the rim & made a lovely 'twinkly' noise at slower speeds... Forgot to bring the wheel today too, so it won't be getting repaired just yet :huh:
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Wheel replaced under warranty :yay: :happy:
  • lpherman01
    lpherman01 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Cloggsy, when I was a little heavier I used to regularly pull spoke nipples through Mavic open pro wheel hoops. Then I got smart and #1 changed to V section wheels and #2 lost some weight. Truth be told, I like the "too powerful" argument better as well.
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Truth be told, I like the "too powerful" argument better as well.

That's my excuse. I'm sticking to it :wink: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    Cloggsy, when I was a little heavier I used to regularly pull spoke nipples through Mavic open pro wheel hoops. Then I got smart and #1 changed to V section wheels and #2 lost some weight. Truth be told, I like the "too powerful" argument better as well.

In my prior riding career, when I was maybe 190-195lb, I used to get maybe 6 months out of Mavic rims before I'd have to junk them for cracking - but that was generally 24h front/28h Rear Mavic GP4's for racing and 32h Open 4CD's for everything else. Fortunately, I used to build my own wheels, and i'd just re-lace with the same spokes one evening and not worry too much about it.

Factory wheels are nice, in the weight savings and rigidity stakes, my current Ultegra factory hoops are lighter than the pair of racing GP4s I had BITD, and more rigid/robust than the 36h touring wheels I had on the old Dawes Super Galaxy that would cope with full front/rear panniers and camping kit for a fortnight. But I do slightly miss being able to fix things rather than call for a taxi then start a warranty claim...