Which came first, Deathlok or Deathstroke?

spud_chick
spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
I've never been a comic reader but am very much enjoying the entertainment renaissance surrounding the mythologies. I follow and dig both Agents of SHIELD and Arrow. Obviously there are similar themes going on currently in each universe, with injectibles that can make armies of hard-to-kill bad guys (Extremis serum, Mirakuru) and even poster boys for those injectibles that have similar names (Deathlok, Deathstroke). Yes, there are differences, and it's not like there aren't other themes out there that get refurbished quite a bit. Mostly I'd like to know which of these two story lines appeared first in comic history. I did try Googling but most of the results are debating the merits and I don't want to know who would conquer who in a cross-universe beatdown. Just wondering which universe started working on it first.

Thanks in advance! And happy Friday~

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    I'm pretty sure that Deathlok appeared first, which would have been in August 1974, according to the information from my original copies of The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe.
  • AnxiousPenman
    AnxiousPenman Posts: 71 Member
    Deathlok appeared in '74, Deathstroke appeared in '80. I'm surprised they're being compared, because the characters don't actually share a lot of similarities.

Most people, when they compare Deathstroke to anyone, they compare him to Deadpool--because of the Slade Wilson/Wade Wilson thing, they're both mercenaries, super-soilders, etc.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
    Deathlok appeared in '74, Deathstroke appeared in '80. I'm surprised they're being compared, because the characters don't actually share a lot of similarities.

Most people, when they compare Deathstroke to anyone, they compare him to Deadpool--because of the Slade Wilson/Wade Wilson thing, they're both mercenaries, super-soilders, etc.

I mostly intended Deathlok and Deathstroke as shorthand for the Extremis/Centipede serum and Mirakuru, but I guess I could have just said that in the title rather than use the respective posterboys. I was more noting the similarities between what's been going on with AoS and Arrow and wondering which one came first (I guess the answer to that is Marvel's Extremis serum).

Thanks guys.