Modifying Stronglifts

Options
fairygirlpie9
fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
I know the whole point of strong lifts it to get stronger but I would really like to modify it like this

Workout A
Squats 5x5
Hip Thrusts 5x5
Deadlifts 1x5

Workout B
Squats 5x5
Hip Thrusts 5x5
Barbell Rows 5x5

This is because I really don't want visible back muscles and I certainly don't want to get too big in the shoulder area as I am naturally quite broad. My main focus is getting a flat stomach and a firm pert butt hence the hip thrusts.
I would like some feedback regarding my modified regimen.

Thanks all. x.x.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    well...you wont get visible muscle unless you flex...and my shoulders are quite broad and I always thought I would have to wear a size large because of that...I wear a medium now after 8months of lifting and 10months on MFP.

I think personally eliminating bench and OHP you are missing out on lots...rows actually work your back so...

Bench does more work for your chest etc..

I don't think you need to worry about the back and shoulders really but that's me.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Upper body strength is just as important as lower body strength.

IMO, that's an awful modification of SL.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Working the pulling/back muscles with rows and not the pushing/chest muscles will cause imbalance which can lead to pain and injury.

Are you cutting, maintaining or bulking? If you are doing anything but bulking, you will not gain muscle/size in your shoulders or back. Even with bulk/cut cycles and killing it in the gym, you won't look muscly unless you flex.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I agree with pretty much what everyone else is saying.

I would also like to add if your goals are purely aesthetic then I would consider choose a different program. While SL can definitely aid in making things look better; its primary goal is strength. Maybe check out Strong Curves? It has a lower body only program.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I wouldn't advise that.

Unless you are eating at a surplus your muscles will not grow significantly. You're leaving in the rows which = back, so this confuses me. You taking out bench and ohp. I find deltoids to be my favorite and one of the sexiest muscles I have (and I am naturally broad shouldered). Also my chest looks way better with a little extra pectoral tissue than it did before when it was just ribs and sternum. Add the hip thrusts if you want but do not take away all upper body pushing.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing Stronglifts?

Actually try the program before modifying it. As others said, only a surplus will result in any potential broadening or huge definition. Almost every women you see with prominent back muscles is flexing--even competitors.

The cardinal rule of any lifting program is: don't change it until you've tried it (or have a medical condition).
  • fairygirlpie9
    Options
    I agree with pretty much what everyone else is saying.

I would also like to add if your goals are purely aesthetic then I would consider choose a different program. While SL can definitely aid in making things look better; its primary goal is strength. Maybe check out Strong Curves? It has a lower body only program.

Agreed, I think I might check that out instead. It really is my lower body that I want to focus on (bum and tum).
    Thanks for all the advice from everyone. I don't personally think that being too muscly is appealing - I just want to have a very smooth body (for lack of a better word) so no skinny bits but no flabby bits just a nice firm body.
    I'm on a deficit so I am aware that I won't be gaining any muscle really and truly I just want to lose weight from my stomach which I am achieving through eating less + cardio but I want to make sure that when I get to my goal I look solid and shapely.
    I am really reluctant to do upper body stuff as I am quite conscious of my broadness and don't want to draw any attention to it - positive or negative.
    I am aware that my goals may not fit in with your ideas but this is a rough idea of what I would like (but not those arms): mv557a.jpg
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Strong Curves since they do have the lower body only plan.

Strong lifts is not the program you want.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    The fat isnt going to just come off your stomach. You cant spot reduce. Its gonna come from all over.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing: You have back muscles. Everyone does. If you want a smooth back you have to retain a certain level of body fat to keep them concealed. However, like mentioned, you don't get to pick and choose and spread your fat evenly where you want it. Keeping a smooth back might also mean keeping a chubby belly. That's just how it happens.

Also, not wanting attention positive or negative speaks of some self confidence and acceptance issues you need to work on. You really don't look that broad to me. I think you need to start focusing on who you are as a person and the awesome things your body can do (like being strong and healthy) not on a specific aspect that you find "different" from your ideal. To say you want the body of the woman pictures but not her arms is weird. She got her body, arms, stomach, legs, everything by lifting (and probably eating at a deficit and/or surplus doing cut/bulk cycles). You can't pick and chose pieces of another person's body anymore than you can pick and chose where your fat goes. All you can do is be the best you possible.
  • fairygirlpie9
    Options
    Here's the thing: You have back muscles. Everyone does. If you want a smooth back you have to retain a certain level of body fat to keep them concealed. However, like mentioned, you don't get to pick and choose and spread your fat evenly where you want it. Keeping a smooth back might also mean keeping a chubby belly. That's just how it happens.

Also, not wanting attention positive or negative speaks of some self confidence and acceptance issues you need to work on. You really don't look that broad to me. I think you need to start focusing on who you are as a person and the awesome things your body can do (like being strong and healthy) not on a specific aspect that you find "different" from your ideal. To say you want the body of the woman pictures but not her arms is weird. She got her body, arms, stomach, legs, everything by lifting (and probably eating at a deficit and/or surplus doing cut/bulk cycles). You can't pick and chose pieces of another person's body anymore than you can pick and chose where your fat goes. All you can do is be the best you possible.

Hmmmm . . . you talk a lot of sense. Which is unfortunate for me. Yes you are right about self-confidence issues but I am working on it. I guess I will just carry on lifting but maybe look into strong curves instead. Thanks for the advice. x.x.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    If I can chime in just for a second?

I have wide shoulders. On a tiny frame. (I can overlap my index finger on my thumb and my fingers aren't *that* long, really.) Tiny frame. But lots of fat most of my life, esp around the hips.

I used to have the crappiest posture and get back pain almost all the time. I was ashamed of my body and wanted to hide it under the baggiest clothing I could find.

Then I started working out (mostly bodyweight stuff the first 2-3 years) and while my shoulders never shrunk per say, they got bigger and more defined and ever since I started lifting it's been even more visible. If you even don't think about all I can do now *cough 100+ push-ups a day*coughs* that I couldn't back then, the simple fact that I stand up taller and have some arm muscles and a bit of definition in my upper back has made me confident enough to wear sleeveless shirts and even tank tops in public. Something I would have never done even when I was in a decent shape back in high school.

At the same weight I am now, I used to wear XL and XXL everything 10-12 years ago. Now I wear mostly L for my lower body and M for any shirt.

So while SL may not be your cup of tea, don't diss out upper body training. The posture effects from the push and pull moves are huge, and the condfdence boost you get from all of it is well worth it.

It's your body. Not anyone else's. If it gets a little shapely, so what? People will commend you for it, not judge (unless they're asshats, in which case, who cares anyway?).

I like saying this to people: you're awesome just the way you are/want to be. The rest of the world just has to learn to deal with it ;)
  • fairygirlpie9
    Options
    If I can chime in just for a second?

I have wide shoulders. On a tiny frame. (I can overlap my index finger on my thumb and my fingers aren't *that* long, really.) Tiny frame. But lots of fat most of my life, esp around the hips.

I used to have the crappiest posture and get back pain almost all the time. I was ashamed of my body and wanted to hide it under the baggiest clothing I could find.

Then I started working out (mostly bodyweight stuff the first 2-3 years) and while my shoulders never shrunk per say, they got bigger and more defined and ever since I started lifting it's been even more visible. If you even don't think about all I can do now *cough 100+ push-ups a day*coughs* that I couldn't back then, the simple fact that I stand up taller and have some arm muscles and a bit of definition in my upper back has made me confident enough to wear sleeveless shirts and even tank tops in public. Something I would have never done even when I was in a decent shape back in high school.

At the same weight I am now, I used to wear XL and XXL everything 10-12 years ago. Now I wear mostly L for my lower body and M for any shirt.

So while SL may not be your cup of tea, don't diss out upper body training. The posture effects from the push and pull moves are huge, and the condfdence boost you get from all of it is well worth it.

It's your body. Not anyone else's. If it gets a little shapely, so what? People will commend you for it, not judge (unless they're asshats, in which case, who cares anyway?).

I like saying this to people: you're awesome just the way you are/want to be. The rest of the world just has to learn to deal with it ;)

That is a tiny frame - I can't even get mine to meet. They are about an inch away from each other and I'm only 5ft. Large frame -_-

Yes its very difficult accepting the fact that I'm never going to look like a supermodel. Just joking. I wouldn't want that responsibility. Tbh I'm not entirely sure that I know what I want my body to look like I'm just concerned that when I get to my ideal weight and have a lower body fat - I might not be pleased with the result compared to the effort I've put in to get there. I think that worries me - I know I'm not going to fail to lose more weight I just don't know if I'll be able to accept the end result.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    You're going to end up looking like you. One of a kind! It's something to be proud of!

It's hard for me to really grasp why you wouldn't *want* to have some definition in your arms/back, so I don't want to appear like I'm judging you. I personally think It looks strong and badass! Like "yeah, mess witth me if you dare!". What's not to boost confidence about this? And more confidence correlates with liking your body more, IMO. The more you have of one, the more you have of the other.

And you can still look feminine. Bit of a hairdo, shiny tan, proper clothing, silhouette can be manipulated a bit depending on what you wear! (And this is coming from a tomboy, SRSLY xD)

You're working on a better, healthier body. What's not to like about that? The mirror is not a very good friend, especially when you have some body image issues. It's a work in progress and probably a process that never really ends, but you can work on just loving the whole package.

And just as an insurance policy: if you DO get too "bulky" to your taste, it's not that hard to lose muscle mass. It's like a bad haircut: it'll grow back (or well, shrink in this instance). But you can't get a good feel of it until you try it!
  • fairygirlpie9
    Options
    You're going to end up looking like you. One of a kind! It's something to be proud of!

It's hard for me to really grasp why you wouldn't *want* to have some definition in your arms/back, so I don't want to appear like I'm judging you. I personally think It looks strong and badass! Like "yeah, mess witth me if you dare!". What's not to boost confidence about this? And more confidence correlates with liking your body more, IMO. The more you have of one, the more you have of the other.

And you can still look feminine. Bit of a hairdo, shiny tan, proper clothing, silhouette can be manipulated a bit depending on what you wear! (And this is coming from a tomboy, SRSLY xD)

You're working on a better, healthier body. What's not to like about that? The mirror is not a very good friend, especially when you have some body image issues. It's a work in progress and probably a process that never really ends, but you can work on just loving the whole package.

And just as an insurance policy: if you DO get too "bulky" to your taste, it's not that hard to lose muscle mass. It's like a bad haircut: it'll grow back (or well, shrink in this instance). But you can't get a good feel of it until you try it!

I see your point. You definitely have a much more positive outlook than I do. I guess I need to stop worrying.

Yeah I'd rather not have definition on my back - it just doesn't appeal to me. Arms would be ok. My 1st and primary concern is having a flat stomach so if it means that my body fat has to get so low that I have considerable definition in my back then I will accept it but if possible I'd just rather not. People think I'm a badass anyway - I have a very particular way of walking that gives off that vibe apparently but actually I'd much rather come across as approachable.

Ultimately I want a body that is healthy and sustainable - I won't be able to maintain a ripped body because it doesn't match my lifestyle, although I completely respect people that can achieve and maintain this.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I agree with krok and you just have to rock what you got. I have always been just naturally muscular. I tend to carry quite a bit of mass for my frame, I'm 5'2" and 144 pounds, although no one would ever guess my weight. At my thinnest weight, I was 129 and a size 7 in pants.

I'm never going to by skinny. And actually, I don't WANT to be skinny. I want to be fit and be the best version of ME. You said you carry yourself like a badass, AWESOME...let some of that badass into your brain and realize you don't have to look a certain way to be the most gorgeous version of you.

When you cut body fat to a certain % to show off flat abs, you are gonna cut enough body fat to show some arm and shoulder definition, that's just going to happen naturally. Doing Stronglifts isn't going to add massive amounts of muscle to your body. You already have that muscle that is going to show when you drop down enough weight for flat abs.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    :huh: