Why is everyone so anti-vegan on the rest of this site?

Options
fknlardarse
fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
Hi, I am currently exploring veganism, slowly changing my diet for choices that feel comfortable to me. One thing I love is my butter on toast so I innocently posted a topic on the main forum asking for tips on any vegan alternatives. Wow I got such a backlash with people (who know nothing about what I eat) accusing me of eating processed unhealthy food and all vegans are superior etc etc. I'm genuinely quite shocked and confused.
Why the backlash?
Also, some helpful people suggesting nut butter but I wondered if there was something out there, maybe like cocoa butter or Shea butter (can you eat/spread on toast) I don't want to eat processed margarine as I'm trying to mainly eat whole foods, unprocessed where possible, I don't care much for coconut. Just wondering if there is the ideal alternative to butter out there that I haven't discovered?
Thank you. (Feeling bruised) :cry:

Replies

• 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Good question. I've been transitioning into veganism for the past two months, and also wanted to avoid things like margarine. I finally broke down last week and bought a tub, but it was horrible. I'd also like to know what would be a yummy substitute.

About the forums. Not everyone feels that way, but there is a solid few who just decided to hang out on MFP all day to cause a ruckus. Seriously, they are like robots. They say the same thing, day in, and day out, in every thread, giving each other high fives for their absolute conformation. They are seriously disruptive. I think it's a shame that MFP lets the same people dominate the forums the way they do. I mean, how many people use MFP, thousands? Hundreds of thousands? More? And yet it's the same 20 or so people that ruin it for everyone else.
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You're absolutely right, people are very harsh about veganism on this site. I'm sorry you had to get that backlash! There are a lot of people on here that believe there is only one way to eat healthy, whether it be veganism, paleo, IIFYM, etc... There are lots of way to be healthy. Veganism is one of them. I prefer it because it is aligned with my morals and makes me feel good.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes! There are vegan butter alternatives, Earth Balance makes one that is really wonderful! Or you could use almond butter (my favorite), peanut butter, avocado, etc...
  • fknlardarse
    Options
    Thank you!
    Now I've calmed down a bit I have re-read the original post in the main forum and (ignoring the mean replies) there were tons of helpful suggestions, so I'll test some of them out.
    Glad I found this group, wish I'd posted here in the first place lol! Lesson learned :smile:
  • fknlardarse
    Options
    Good question. I've been transitioning into veganism for the past two months, and also wanted to avoid things like margarine. I finally broke down last week and bought a tub, but it was horrible. I'd also like to know what would be a yummy substitute.

Hi! If you have a look at my thread called vegan butter, under food and nutrition, there so many helpful suggestions, hope it helps. Just ignore the banter :wink: not sure why I asked the same question again here when I had many useful responses I think I just got blinded by the mean comments and decided to try here but in actual fact many people have come up with great alternatives to butter in that thread.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    The person who started the ball rolling in that thread tends to have some pretty strong opinions and isn't shy about sharing them. Paleo good, Vegan bad. (Not just on those issues though.)
  • fknlardarse
    Options
    Ooohhh! Explains it. I took it a bit personally which I know I shouldn't have done. Live and learn :tongue:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Oh, don't misunderstand me. Going into a vegan thread anywhere but the groups on this site is a bad idea unless you're in the mood for drama or a vigorous debate. :laugh: The people I have ignored are almost all people who made ignorant and generalized comments about vegans. I keep them off ignore if they offer entertainment value.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    people are not very nice about veganism here....it's very frustrating......I'm sick of the vegan threads.

Earth Balance is generally the most favorite of vegan butters, it tastes less processed than the others. :)
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I figuratively got chased out of MFP town with torches and pitch forks once!
  • veganbettie
    Options
    I believe it.

Heaven forbid you say you don't agree with animal cruelty, then you get told you have no idea what farms are really like, have you ever been to a slaughter house? then no you don't get an opinion.....well the end result is still the same right? It's not like we are waiting for animals to die before we eat them, we are killing healthy animals to feed appetites...we don't need it....seems pretty cruel to me....but I digress...

oh and I have no idea what i'm talking about on nutrition....I've only been a healthy vegan for 7 years....through pregnancy and beyond...give me a break.
  • veganbettie
    Options
    oh my I just read that thread, that was a whole lot of stupid.
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Stay in the subforums (like this one). I felt like I got jumped by a gang on the regular forum section. People are more helpful here and will cater to your wants, etc.
  • fknlardarse
    Options
    Ha ha ha, thanks everyone! You all seem so lovely on here (huge sigh of relief) I'll be back for some advice on what to eat I'm sure, it's very new to me, still experimenting.

Just out of interest, what are your views on free range organic eggs from local farms? I used to have chickens in my garden (gave them to a local small holding so they could have more room) but when I had them they seemed very happy and the production of eggs didn't seem cruel they were doing their natural thing?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I must admit I've never had any problems though I've never posted any specific Vegan questions on the main boards. I do though see people leap on others and give all the same old vegan myths it in reality though is probably a minority who have an axe to grind. I've been a Vegan for so many years most negative comments I just ignore and get on with it. Any specific Vegan questions I would normally only put on a sub forum anyway you are more likely to get better answers anyway.
  • holliehatesyou
    holliehatesyou Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've stopped even going into the regular forums. I got made fun of by multiple people for not including bacon in my (seriously awesome) brussels sprouts recipe, then I started noticing that people brought up veganism (to bash it) weirdly frequently, when no one else had been talking about it.

I come here for encouragement, not to get really really angry -- so yeah, I stopped reading them.

And yep, Earth Balance is lovely. I like the olive oil one for toast. And a lightly mashed-up avocado with salt and pepper is also heaven on toast. (I know you said you don't like coconut, but I've heard coconut oil spread on toast is really good -- I've never tried it, though)
  • holliehatesyou
    holliehatesyou Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Two other reasons I stopped reading the other forums that doesn't have anything to do with veganism:

1) A girl posted about how she'd dropped the bar while lifting at the gym and was mortified, and that people at the gym actually made fun of her. She was told by posters here that they SHOULD have laughed at her, and they would have laughed at her too.

2) A girl posted her "after" photo and was told that she needs to get lipo.

Gross. I hate those other forums.
  • quagga2007
    quagga2007 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Just out of interest, what are your views on free range organic eggs from local farms? I used to have chickens in my garden (gave them to a local small holding so they could have more room) but when I had them they seemed very happy and the production of eggs didn't seem cruel they were doing their natural thing?

Please check out the discussion in this thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1226661-true-farm-fresh-eggs-no-suffering
  • quagga2007
    quagga2007 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if there is the ideal alternative to butter out there that I haven't discovered?
    Thank you. (Feeling bruised) :cry:

Like others, I recommend Earth Balance, but it is a highly processed, not too healthy food. You can make your own vegan butter (which some vegans do to avoid palm oil/rainforest destruction/orangutan killing) pretty easily. It's not any healthier to make your own, in my opinion, except that there are fewer ingredients and less packaging waste. You can also create different kinds of spreads depending on what you want to use it for (like a sweet cinnamon one for toast or a savory spread for veggies or potatoes). Theoretically you can use these DIY butters to make things like buttercream frosting, but I can't speak firsthand on that topic.

LINK: http://www.veganbaking.net/recipes/fats/vegan-butters/vegan-butter

If you are following a whole foods/unprocessed/low fat butter, then you should best stick to nut or sesame butters.

Welcome to the best vegan haven on MFP!
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    It goes both ways. I posted a comment on my own friend page about how I was finding the vegan diet too hard because nobody else in my family is interested so I was exhausted from having to plan two meals for each one meal, plus wasn't meeting even a 15% protein goal. I got some very harsh comments from vegans who were supposedly my "friends".
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Two other reasons I stopped reading the other forums that doesn't have anything to do with veganism:

1) A girl posted about how she'd dropped the bar while lifting at the gym and was mortified, and that people at the gym actually made fun of her. She was told by posters here that they SHOULD have laughed at her, and they would have laughed at her too.

2) A girl posted her "after" photo and was told that she needs to get lipo.

Gross. I hate those other forums.

Someone in the main forum told me riding (cycling) 10,000 miles last year has no fitness benefit. :noway: