Introduction

Options
DOMTIA1012
DOMTIA1012 Posts: 57 Member
Hi Everyone,

I am so glad to have all of you with me on this! Are we all just starting out? What are your short term and long term goals?

Christina

Replies

• EmiDeeDoo
    EmiDeeDoo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm already doing Leslie Sansone's 4 Mile Challenge each day (I worked up from 1 Mile and now I love doing 4), but I hope you don't mind me tagging along here so I can encourage myself to keep walking every day. It really is a great energy boost and it's done me good so far. :)

I've gone down seven pounds, so my short term goal is to get down another ten and see some muscle tone. Long term, I want to reach around 125lb, 'cause I'm a 5'3" critter. I'm currently 149lbs (was 155 when I first started not too long ago).
  • DOMTIA1012
    Options
    I'm glad your tagging along. Congrats on the 7 lbs loss!
  • morning_joy
    morning_joy Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I am trying to get back to working out. I was on a really good schedule and had exercise as a part of my everyday plan but then life intervened and I got off track. I am excited about this group because right now, this feels like a good step for me. Something that I can commit to. I have a fitbit and would like to get back to my 10,000 steps a day. Right now though, 30 minutes of walking a day is a start.
  • SarahLou2990
    SarahLou2990 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't go walking outside much I suffer with severe depression and anxiety and find it really hard to get out. I'm also very conscious of the way I look and this makes it even more difficult to contemplate going out. I already do exercise, but would like to add this in too =D I'll start on Monday.

I'm wondering where to start, as I work out about 30-40 mins a day usually. Did you start with the 1 mile and work up?
  • DOMTIA1012
    Options
    I turned on my TV and cleared some space in my living room. I set a timer for 30 minutes. I started off by marching in place. I integrated side steps( step out with one leg in either direction and then bring it back to center) I also walked forward and backwards. If my kids talked to me during this I would sometimes walk in circles. I even did knee lifts. I have three pound hand weights that I would use as well. I would work out my arms at the same time. DO NOT WORRY if they get heavy and you put them down for a bit. Also make sure you have plenty of water. I find it easier to measure time than by distance. At first after the 30 minutes I was pooped. Make sure you wear supportive shoes.
  • SarahLou2990
    Options
    I'm thinking of using the Leslie Sansone video on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df2gn6-w0dE&list=PLEbqwBauUhoP3muIVOjXB7-xiSVrDAbo6

I think that's a good idea about adding the weights to it =] I'll do that too
  • HealthFitNow
    HealthFitNow Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    If you haven't done any for a while, start with 10 min. You don't want to walk until you are breathless. Not to start with.
    I heard a study just released said the earlier people walk in the sun (early morning) the more reduction in depression. 1-1 correlation. So if you can manage earlier time to walk, it can be even more beneficial for depression. You may discover you will accelerate your self-healing. Everyone is unique...so trust your instincts. Be good to you and trust that your body knows if something is good or harmful.

I have a back injury. I have set backs...and have to start again and again. I had built up to two miles in 30 min. Then after a fall, I am using a walker again and small distances for about 12 min walks. But I do it three times a day, so I get a 30 min walk in.

Good luck to you!
    I don't go walking outside much I suffer with severe depression and anxiety and find it really hard to get out. I'm also very conscious of the way I look and this makes it even more difficult to contemplate going out. I already do exercise, but would like to add this in too =D I'll start on Monday.

I'm wondering where to start, as I work out about 30-40 mins a day usually. Did you start with the 1 mile and work up?
  • SarahLou2990
    Options
    If you haven't done any for a while, start with 10 min. You don't want to walk until you are breathless. Not to start with.
    I heard a study just released said the earlier people walk in the sun (early morning) the more reduction in depression. 1-1 correlation. So if you can manage earlier time to walk, it can be even more beneficial for depression. You may discover you will accelerate your self-healing. Everyone is unique...so trust your instincts. Be good to you and trust that your body knows if something is good or harmful.
    Thank you for the info =] I may well have to try that, I won't be able to do it anytime soon. My anxiety stops me from going out and the depression stops me from working and doing pretty much everything else =[ I manage to read and exercise each day. I really want to be able to go out and walk so hopefully when I can work it up to half an hour of walking I'll see how brave I am to go outside.

For now I'll stay indoors and try that 1 mile walk, which is about 21 mins. It shouldn't be too bad as like I said I work out 30-40 mins a day doing aerobics.
    I have a back injury. I have set backs...and have to start again and again. I had built up to two miles in 30 min. Then after a fall, I am using a walker again and small distances for about 12 min walks. But I do it three times a day, so I get a 30 min walk in.
    That's good you still manage to do that a day by breaking it down =] Good luck to you also.
  • egrif1
    egrif1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I was an avid walker (up to 7-10 miles per day). Had lost 47 lbs. Go off track. I went for a walk this morning prior to logging in. Walked 52 minutes. I started walking with Leslie Sansone and had wonderful results. I have about 5 or 6 of her dvds. I love that they low impact and you can pace yourself. In addition, you work out other parts of your body. If you all will have me, I'd love to be a part of this group. You will make me accountable for my actions.
  • shuntia982003
    Options
    My short term goal is to loose 20lbs. I have an infant and I really want loose the baby weight. Long term just to be healthy. I have done walk way the pounds in the past, this is a great way to started again I'm excited! Good luck to everyone
  • Jodibear58
    Jodibear58 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I am so happy to find this group! Although she is a bit too chatty, I love her workouts! I just found this so I will begin till tomorrow! Promise!

See you tomorrow!
  • shrinkingmichelle
    shrinkingmichelle Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm not exercising at all right now. I want to start with 1 mile because I have a lot of swelling in my legs and feet. I have the couch to 5k app on my Ipod. I'd like to work my way up to that and also I used to be able to do 5 miles with Leslie a few years ago. I'd like to be able to do that again.

Michelle in Ohio:drinker:
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone :) im relatively new to the site, today is day 7. I walk, but ive been wanting to walk more and longer and at a better pace, so im tagging along as well if thats ok!
  • sheilabagwell
    Options
    Hello everyone. I am new to this site. I walked today for around 30 minutes at a park where I live. It was very nice. I do have some of her DVD's, I will have to break them out and start doing them again.
  • kawookie
    kawookie Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Kim and I am an avid walker. I try to walk five miles a day, so I am really here to support everyone who is just getting started. Not so long ago I wasn't sure how anyone could get 10,000 steps on a pedometer or walk five miles without stopping.

I do a lot of Leslie Sansone walks that I have purchased used from amazon or for inexpensive from mass retailers (Target, Walmart). If you have any questions about what various exercise routines are like or to find new ones similar to a workout you really like (if you like weights, resistance bands, dance, mixed ages, etc.), I would be happy to give you some suggestions of where to start.

I don't have my ticker automatically on the bottom but I've walked away more than 50 pounds. I wish you all great success as you start doing more intentional walking!
  • naleefnc
    naleefnc Posts: 1
    Options
    My goal is to be consistent. Which I haven't been with exercise in about six years. Many starts and stops but nothing long-term. Like most people- family and work committments leave me pressed for time so something done in home seems like a good fit. Accountablity helps me lots as I have had success in the past with WW but cannot fit the meetings into the schedule or cost into the budget. So thank you for starting this group. I need the group support.
  • TeresaSavage
    TeresaSavage Posts: 1,506 Member
    Options
    Hi My name is Teresa, I've been on MFP back in 2010 -2011 and lost 70 pounds just from walking & Healthy eating. But depression & life events has made me gain it all back. So I'm here again to start over.
    I Know what I need to do to lose the weight, IT's the motivation that's difficult to keep going.
    I started off with Leslie Sansone and went to walking 6 miles outside every day & eating an average of 1250 to 1400 calories a day.

May 18th will be my new START DATE: MY GOALS

1. plan my meals for the week
    2. Walk with Leslie Sansone
    3. Eat Healthy
    4. Calories under 1400 ( no matter what my exercise is)

Good Luck Ladies!! :drinker:
  • Lizzym911
    Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Liz, I've been having problems losing any weight this last year after starting insulin and my fybromyalgia kicking in again, I also have arthritis and it's been painful to do much of anything... But I love walking and at one point was walking with Leslie sansone 3 miles a day plus weights. I really want to start again and need some extra motivation . If I can drop 20 lbs that would be awesome.
  • JenKLMY
    JenKLMY Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I walk to and from work everyday, which is about 30mins round trip. I'm also on my feet for the majority of the day too!
    Does that count?
    I don't won a pedometer, nor would I know where to get one in this Country!
  • amrelmesery
    amrelmesery Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I walk to and from work everyday, which is about 30mins round trip. I'm also on my feet for the majority of the day too!
    Does that count?
    I don't won a pedometer, nor would I know where to get one in this Country!
    yep , everything is count