Excited about tomorrow - Sleeve Day - Questions

Options
Warning, I am type A. I never had inpatient surgery.

So, when I go in, do they weigh you in the gown or in your street clothes? May seem like a strange question but I absolutely hate those gains around a ton of people. I know during our every two hour walks it will be unavoidable, but I want to be calm to start.

How long did your surgery take? Mine is pretty early so I hope there will be no trouble coming home on Tuesday.

I am super excited but the nerves kicked in this morning as soon as I woke up. The unknown parts.

Replies

• juliebccs
    juliebccs Posts: 233
    Options
    My gown story : I had my surgery in India. Now I have very little to fault with the Indian hospitals except this is one thing I will never forget.
    Just before surgery I was taken to pre-op room to get ready. There are a lot of nurses and dr's and others in that room.
    It is a bit different than the West. So they asked me to take a gown and go into a little cupboard and get changed. Well the gown didn't fit my arms. So it took everybody in the room, trying to be helpful to look for a gown for me. Of course there was no gown to fit me. So after a lot of mucking, considering letting me just wear my own top, I got a bit upset and explained that they were embarrassing me. I was already nervous and this was making me humiliated. Once I pointed this out they realised and were really good. I know it was just a different cultural approach and they were all just trying to help but boy it was awful to feel like that. In the end they found me a surgeons gown which fitted but it took ages and my self esteem took a battering. I just had to remind myself that is why I was there after all.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure I got weighed in my hospital gown. It was a nice big one that covered everything and I wasn't bothered by it. Honestly the last thing on my mind was how I looked lol. I was pretty nervous but super excited, I was absolutely ready. My surgery was at 7:30 AM I believe, and I was in recovery for a while and in a room by about 1:00. I was able to go home the next day at about 1:00. Just make sure you get up and walk, and make sure you drink the fluids they give you. If you don't do those things, the hospital staff could be concerned and it might delay your release. Wishing you a speedy and comfortable recovery!
  • SparleCat
    SparleCat Posts: 3
    Options
    I was weighed in my street clothes before being given a place to change into the gown....though my 3 day clear liquid diet dropped me 10 lbs! So I wasn't AT ALL concerned about the weight....I knew I was at step one in a new life

My surgery was at 10:00 am...I was rolled into pre-op where I spoke the the surgeon, anesthesiologist and the surgical assistant. They rolled me into the operating room where I was given gas and told I would start getting sleepy...I remember saying "I'm not at all sleepy" and then I woke up in Post-op! I have no idea what time that was....I believe my surgery took about an hour and a half and I spent about the same in post op while they got my room ready. Didn't get to weigh myself again until I got home and I was down 4 lbs
  • shoerack45
    shoerack45 Posts: 30
    Options
    Thanks, I really appreciate hearing about other people's experiences. It's funny, since I'll be knocked out, I'm only nervous about the awake parts!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I was weighed in a gown, a ginormous gown! I was 254 but the gown was like a tent. There was no need for shyness, I had yards of material around me. In fact, I think it accounted for the 4 extra pounds I wasn't expecting during the weigh in. I had a hiatal hernia repair that gave the surgeon trouble so my surgery time was longer. The anesthesia you just blink your eyes and then you are in recovery.
  • Ujj7
    Ujj7 Posts: 51
    Options
    From someone who works in healthcare, just know that we are all very desensitized to gown mishaps. So in a good way, no one will think twice or judge you. However, speak up if you feel uncomfortable, and usually whatever it is will be remedied quickly by the staff.