Insulin Resistance Diet

Options
lrkidd
lrkidd Posts: 74 Member
Okay all....I have decided that I have had enough failure with this whole weight loss thing. I bought this book about 3 years ago when my Endo suggested it but it just looked too complicated, (I know just an excuse). Now that I have read the book and found that it isn't as hard as I thought to follow, I am going to "all in" and make this journey a successful one.

Wondering if anyone out there has had any success with it? And if there are any suggestions on how to stick with it.

Thanks!!

Replies

• teddiebare
    teddiebare Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I haven't done the diet specifically from this book, but I have been doing a low carb diet since January. I am losing an average of 1lb a week, and hit my 21lb mark this morning.

I was able to lose 59lbs before my insulin resistance protested, and then I gained 17 lbs back last year despite my best diet and exercising efforts. I was eating 1700 cal/day plus exercising 5x a week, but was only keeping my carbs to <150g a day. Since I lowered my carbs to <50g a day, I started losing weight again. I eat roughly the same calories.

Spend some time on Pinterest or the internet looking at different food suggestions. I make my entire weeks worth of food (minus dinner) on Sundays, and that has been a huge help to me. That takes all of the guesswork out, and I just take my prepackaged food with me to work each day. You have to do a bit of familiarization with food to figure out where the highest carbs are. For example: milk isn't low-carb friendly, but cheese is.

Make a list of snack items you enjoy that will work for the diet. I eat nuts, cheese, eggs, etc for snacks. This week I have a protein shake made with unsweetened almond milk for breakfast, chicken thighs for lunch, deli chicken and deli cheese, string cheese, nuts, and cream cheese fluff for snacks (http://screwedonstraight.net/keto-desserts-cheesecake-fluff-edition/). You really just have to accept that there will be a learning curve on stuff, and it'll take you a little while to get used to what is better to eat. You can't go wrong with meat and vegetables :)
  • pyramid918
    pyramid918 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My endo suggested ketosis because of my PCOS. I lost 12 pounds in the first week (I also exercise 4-6x a week) and I'm steadily losing 1-3 pounds a week. Insulin resistance is no joke but you can get it under control! A LCHF diet is actually really wonderful once the cravings stop.
  • peabean26
    peabean26 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've been on a LCHF diet for about a week and a half, and I can't believe how easy it is! I thought it would be hard, but my sugar cravings have gone away. The first few days were really tough, but now it's much better. I've lost ~3lbs so far, and I haven't even started exercising yet.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    There are a few women on here to are doing well on the type of diet in that book, pairing your complex carbs with a protein and only a minimal amount of fat so you digest them slowly. This seems to work really well for those that also have blood sugar issues, not insulin resistance only. Most of the pcos women who post on here have had to go LCHF or keto diet to see any results as most of us dont have any blood sugar issues.

That diet has a great premise if thats what your body responds to. The only caveat i'd have is that the diet plan, if you follow their daily plan day by day, has some very high sodium meals. Like recommending TV dinners and canned soups. Legumes are often too high carb for many of us and quite a few of their meal plans ask for those.

Protein can also have an insulin response in women with pcos, which is why going low carb/high fat/moderate protein seems to work so well for most of us. That being said, you have to find what works for you. If that diet plan is something you can see yourself doing for the rest of your life, try it and see how you react to it. If its not quite right, tweak it till it is. Try a LCHF and see if that works, if it doesnt tweak it till it does. We're all different in how we react to what we eat. It takes patience and persistance but you can find a way to do this for the rest of your life and enjoy it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to following this conversation more, as my new endo thinks this is the culprit for all my crazy symptoms. Just waiting to hear back to know which way to face and which direction to head! :)
  • lrkidd
    lrkidd Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the input. The frustration of watching everyone around eat whatever they want while I eat nothing and still gain has just gotten the best of me. I have such a hard time dealing with my cravings that I want to scream but I am to a point in my life where I feel it's now or never. I have got to get back in control of my eating habits!
  • peabean26
    peabean26 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I would give LCHF a shot. The first few days are ROUGH but dont give up! I'm constantly shocked by how much willpower I have when I eat like this. The fat really does fill you up and keep sugar cravings at bay.

I took the first week off from exercise, to give my body time to adjust. I recommend doing it this way since I was incredibly tired the first 4-5 days and exercising seemed impossible. Now that I'm 10 days in, I've started swimming and biking again, and I feel great!
  • Carley
    Carley Posts: 88
    Options
    My endo suggested ketosis because of my PCOS. I lost 12 pounds in the first week (I also exercise 4-6x a week) and I'm steadily losing 1-3 pounds a week. Insulin resistance is no joke but you can get it under control! A LCHF diet is actually really wonderful once the cravings stop.

I completely agree!!! I completely reversed my insulin resistance following a LCHF diet!!!! It was so worth it!!!!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I tried it about 3 years ago and didn't lose any weight. I know others it has worked for though.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I ended up with a pinched nerve or strained muscle in my neck this week. The medicine Rxed combined with cutting my carbs, I swear I slept more than twice as much as I normally due, particularly over the holiday weekend. I didn't get in a single walk. Has anyone else has this problem? Or is the culprit mostly the cutting back of carbs? I've been doing this without a book or guide, just upping my protein and fats as the happen....