Do you name your bike

Options
traceytwink
traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
Ok I was once told if your gonna ride your bike long and hard you have to give it a name, so my question is do any of you guys and gals have a name for your bike??
Mine by the way is Russell after the lovely Russell Brand ????

Replies

• rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Bertha - Old steel hybrid, heavy as hell that I ride with the family.
    Biff - my first road bike, an old LeMond that I wrecked more times than I can count, but he is still fast.
    Roxy - my new road bike. Madone 5.2 sweet little ride makes me feel light and quick...
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    No.

Just NO.

12009826206_5865459a15_o.gif
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    My ride is named Molly. Not sure how that happened, but it did.

And I'm psyched to take Molly riding down a car-free Lake Shore Drive in Chicago this weekend!!
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Well I actually won my bike in an online competition to name a bike! haha. But when I picked it up I was able to choose a different colour to the won I named. So this one doesn't have a name!

Good name for a blue bike? (It's in my pic)
  • kerrylikesbikes
    kerrylikesbikes Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    No.. I don't .. Have never understood naming of cars bikes etc. I am always curious as to why people do this.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    No.. I don't .. Have never understood naming of cars bikes etc. I am always curious as to why people do this.

Misplaced / Deluded Anthropomorphism mainly. Or they just think its cute. :laugh:
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I'd have to say its to have fun in life and not take everything seriously ????
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I have 2 identical Giant TCRs and have been know to refer to them as the twins, however this might sound a bit kinky when it comes to riding them! :)
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    No, I don't 'name' my bikes. The manufacturer did it for me :wink:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    No, I don't 'name' my bikes. The manufacturer did it for me :wink:

Good point - if I do ever sign up to that framebuilding course, I may just name a bike then, but otherwise... nahhhhh...
  • Lanet27
    Lanet27 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only crazy person.. Ha!
    I named my fitness bike "paloma"

Edited to add: I am generally a very happy person, and try not to take myself too seriously. :D
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Hmmm on the contrary, I am named after my bike.... My mates call me GiantK :laugh: :laugh:
  • slocyclist
    slocyclist Posts: 95
    Options
    My bikes all seem to have the same name, 'cause when I ride, people point at me an yell "Fred" ;-)

http://biskey7.wordpress.com/2011/04/02/bicycling-are-you-a-fred/ (Definition #1 and to a point, #3 - definitely not #2)
  • BaldheadSlick
    BaldheadSlick Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I guess I need to as I name my cars.

However, I did take pics of my new tires as if I had just outfitted my car with performance rubber of something...and for MUCH cheaper.
  • slocyclist
    slocyclist Posts: 95
    Options
    I guess I need to as I name my cars.

My cars' names are Big Wagon, Little Wagon, and Red Car. My scooters are named Blue, Gray, and White. So I guess my bikes are named Old Green Bike, Red Bike, Craigslist Bike, and Xtracycle. :-)
  • kerrylikesbikes
    kerrylikesbikes Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Nope don't take myself "too seriously"... but I do refer to my bikes and cars by their brand names, not a proper name. I name my pets, they actually respond to their names, I think that is the key for me...that the object of the name can actually respond to it.

It seems that more women than men name their bikes and cars. I am woman so don't fit that rule, but in general that is my observation.
  • chocolatexxmintt
    chocolatexxmintt Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Annie - my old purple/white moutain bike.

Right now I don't have a bike of my own (working on it) i'm using my future father in law's and I named his trevor
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I have a hard enough time remembering my OWN name & that of my family members. :embarassed:
  • nzwermann
    nzwermann Posts: 4
    Options
    I dont name my bike but what the name is already on it. I have a GMC Denali road bike. I just call it Denali.
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Snatch, Roja, and Vader.