Gluten Reaction?

Options
patioq
patioq Posts: 22 Member
I was just fine this morning, slim trim and racy. Got into some "Walmart" Trail-mix. down near the bottom of the ingredient list was wheat. Now, 5 hours latter, I am badly bloated. Bringing up lots of gas from my stomach.

Is this a gluten reaction?

Replies

• Alsha1999
    Alsha1999 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It only takes 1/16 of a tsp to effect your body. :sad:
  • DaisyKate30
    DaisyKate30 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My guess would be yes... I'm new (about a month in half) to the gluten free diet. And I've found the same issues plus bathroom runs when I've eaten gluten foods.
  • sowich25
    sowich25 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yes it is some people it effects right away. For me it is usually the next day and half later. I then have to back track and think of everything I ate. If you do have a reaction the best thing is lots or water and peppermint tea. It helps a little. Good luck
  • weather_nerd
    Options
    I'm just like the above poster. It will affect me a day or so later. The body aches come first, followed by a few solid days of nausea. It's good you are listening to your body, and know now to be extra careful!
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'll feel the effects usually within 15 to 20 minutes starting with severe lower back pain on my right side.

That pain migrates around to the front and then down into the intestine over the next minutes and then bam....I'm in agony and typically will be 'trapped' in the washroom for the next few hours.

If it's not a big glutening, then I'm usually okay after 5 or 6 hours and back to fine within a day....if it's a big deal, it takes three or four days to recover fully and be brave enough to try eating again. :(

Nothing makes me feel better....I have to have the substance expelled from my body entirely. It is such a drastic effect that I have worried that I would run out of coping skills before running out of pain. Last event was on February 1, when my boyfriend was concerned enough to want to call 911.

Read everything on a label, trust nothing.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Quite often nut & fruit mixes will be dusted with wheat starch to keep the fruit from clumping & sticking together. (This is also common with preshredded cheese - keep it in mind for restaurant salads, etc.) Your best bet is to choose non flavoured, raw unsalted nuts and add pieces of dried fruit or raisins to them to make your own trail mix. It's also yummy with gluten free mini chocolate chips added in as well.
    As you've probably figured out by now.... READ ALL LABELS CAREFULLY BEFORE BUYING AND TRYING. Never assume that something is safe or that 'a little bit won't hurt.' :frown:
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Yes.... gluten reaction. You have to be militant in label-reading or you will pay for it. Everyone is different, but for me I can have trace amounts and not have TOO bad of a reaction.... not the kind that would (typically) make me want to set up my office in my bathroom!

Good luck!