When did you start working out after surgery?

Options
trinity9058
trinity9058 Posts: 149 Member
My surgeon said that I couldn't do anything for exercise until I got her go ahead. I have my one week follow up tomorrow so I'm hoping to get her permission then.

I am also taking an extra week off of work because I am just too tired not to. I'm six days out from surgery.

My question is, when did everyone start working out after surgery? How much did you do? What kind of exercise did you do?

I am so anxious to get moving lol. I don't like to just sit all the time. Thanks all!

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I was walking from the day of surgery on, but I wasn't cleared to work out until 4 weeks.
  • KCSF
    KCSF Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I started walking right after I woke up and they gave me a goal of 10 minutes 4 to 6 times a day for the first month. After 1 month, he said I could do whatever cardio I want as long as I wasn't stretching too much and there was no pain. At 2 months out, I just got the go ahead to lift weights and stretch all I want! Each doctor is different but my said "listen to your body" whenever I asked.
  • kglowins
    kglowins Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I was cleared to work out the day I left the hospital. I was also told to listen to my body. I really only went on walks until about three weeks out. My third week is when I started doing 20 minutes on the elliptical and 10 minutes on the treadmill. I wasn't cleared for weights until my one month appointment. I was very anxious to get started as well. But ultimately I'm glad that I took it slow. Listen to the surgeon and your body and you'll be fine.
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I was only cleared for walking when I left hospital. At my 2 week checkup my doctor said I could begin to work out slowly, nothing like kickboxing but elliptical and treadmill were fine, and no heavy weight lifting. I do Zumba Gold which is a slower pace Zumba for now. My next check up will be in a week and I should be cleared to do what I want
  • debhaley1
    debhaley1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I was only allowed to walk until 4 weeks, then I was allowed to work out. Since I never worked out before in my life until this process started i chose water aerobics. Now I feel like i can do other things as well. I was told no weights until I see them again in more weeks, so I will see then if i can add more like weight lifting and such. I agree with everyone on here that you need to listen to your body and your surgeon, but you are only a week out, you just had major internal surgery. You need to give your body time to heal so you don't have issues later. Walk and work up to the big goal, it is not a sprint but a slow and steady climb. Your journey is just beginning.
  • shoerack45
    shoerack45 Posts: 30
    Options
    Walking only until my 4 to 6 weeks check-up for the surgeon's advice then. Not counting the day of surgery, I am 5 days out. I can still feel an ache in my stomach so I wouldn't feel too comfortable doing more than my walks at this stage. I don't want to mess up anything. I do walk a lot throughout the day. I'm going back to work next week so I don't want it to be a shock to the system. I do have a sedentary job but I don't expect folks to know about my surgery. I want to have my best face forward and walking now helps.
  • hurricanelena
    hurricanelena Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that I could go run a marathon the day after I had my surgery if I was so inclined, just no heavy lifting/weight training. I was up and walking periodically during my hospital stay (to the bathroom, around the floor), and 10-15 min walks when I got home. By the end of the first week I was up to 10-15 min bike rides and by the second I went back to commuting to work via bike (about 5 min) and light aerobic exercise. No heavy lifting (technically my cat was over my limit, lol) for 6 weeks. I also wore a stomach brace? band? so I wouldn't pull on my incision sites since I have a floppy tummy. When I had open adominal surgery about 10 years ago they gave me a band that helped immensely. I'm surprised I didn't get something like that this time.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    My surgeon said that I couldn't do anything for exercise until I got her go ahead. I have my one week follow up tomorrow so I'm hoping to get her permission then.

I am also taking an extra week off of work because I am just too tired not to. I'm six days out from surgery.

My question is, when did everyone start working out after surgery? How much did you do? What kind of exercise did you do?

I am so anxious to get moving lol. I don't like to just sit all the time. Thanks all!

1) Walk immediately and continually. Keep increasing the effort.
    2) Gym at 4 weeks using light weights for upper body. Nothing that affects the core (healing first).
    3) Strength trainer at 3 months focusing on overall fitness - total body workouts; we need to strengthen everything.
    4) Just started (8 months) changing workouts to develop muscle mass and strength.

I did not move from light weights to full training until my Dr. said it was safe. He was comfotable with me doing arm and leg workouts at one month but cautioned me to stop if there was any pain in my core. The consensus from my medical team was that starting weight training early helps form your new body as you lose weight. Building muscle burns more calories than fat alone and improves your proportions. The earlier you start the better. While a trainer is not required I do believe that using a qualified professional who understands your goals and needs increases the chances of success. I spoke with the staff at my gym, explained what I was looking for and they reccomended a woman who has been amazing. She has done wonders to help me do this right.
  • ckee1862
    ckee1862 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved Dec 11 2013. I was cleared at 4 weeks for light treadmill and 6 weeks to slowly integrate other things in. I was only able to go to the gym for a week and a half. At 5 weeks post I got bronchitis and it has taken 6 MONTHS to fully recover. I just started TurboFire on Monday and it was the first time that I got winded and didn't start immediately coughing.
  • QuietLyfe
    QuietLyfe Posts: 58
    Options
    Hi all! I was cleared for walking immediately. I started walking that day and worked my way up. At 4 weeks post-op, my surgeon cleared me for light gym cardio. I wasn't cleared for full-on weights until 12 weeks post-op.

-sleeved 12/20/13, down 93lbs since surgery. I didn't join MFP right away
  • trinity9058
    trinity9058 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I decided to start a real life workout program today. At my last checkup, my surgeon said I could do whatever as long as it wasn't too extreme and as long as I didn't have any pain.

Walking hasn't caused me pain, dancing hasn't caused me pain, but push-up caused me pain. I can't do push-ups yet. How will I live???:laugh:
  • ckee1862
    ckee1862 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Walking is always recommended. I was up and walking as soon as possible. You feel better more normal.
  • debhaley1
    debhaley1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Water aerobics 5 nights a week for 6 weeks now and started walking 2 miles a day at lunch and Doing the Rockin Body video for an hour each day Saturday and Sunday. Starting this week. I am 11 weeks out and want to see some toning going on. I hope to avoid going under the knife when I am done losing.
  • kenziesmom_2000
    kenziesmom_2000 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i had surgery on june 13th. at my 1 week post op he told me to start walking 30 mins a day ( so i go to a gym and use the treadmill so i can track better) i am not supposed to do abs or weights/machines until 4 weeks. oh i also use the pool at the gym for resistance and laps.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Walking from the time I woke up after surgery. Continued light walking for several weeks. I think I hopped on the elliptical about week 6 then purchased a stationary bike about 6 weeks later, (my hip displasia was screaming from the elliptical) which is my go-to 5 days per week these days. I've also added basic strength training, (push ups and crunches) a couple of days per week. I do it all at home. Tried the gym briefly and loved it but the hip displasia limits the activity I can do and couldn't justify the cost when I had a good routine going at home.