Surgery

Options
lsa40
lsa40 Posts: 8 Member
Hi! I am new to this group. My orthopedic surgeon strongly recommended microdiscectomy surgery today. I have a herniated L5/S1 disc and have had symptoms for almost six months. The surgeon said that outcomes get worse if you wait much longer than 6 months to get surgery, and conservative methods would have worked by now if they were going to. I'm really anxious about surgery because I was hoping to avoid it. I scheduled the surgery for 5/30 knowing that I can cancel it if I change my mind - but I don't think I will.

As far as weight loss and MFP are concerned, I am assuming I should switch to maintenance calories while I recover from surgery?

Thanks!

Replies

• ReturntoBJJ
    ReturntoBJJ Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This was from a year ago but wondering how it went- I had to wait over 2 years for a similar surgery and the results were awesome! Hope you had a good outcome too :)
  • lsa40
    lsa40 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It went very well. I still get a little nerve pain in my foot if there is any impact in my workouts (it goes away after the workout), and my back gets a little stiff from time to time. Even so, I am functioning so much better that it doesn't even bother me.