Gels

Options
HappyRunner34
HappyRunner34 Posts: 394 Member
Hi,

I've had a lot of success taking gels every mile on my long runs. I know many purists say that you cant "gel" your way to fitness and I agree, but my stomach loves them and I can feel the kick every time and although my times are stagnant, I feel great!
Anyone else?:happy:

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I am not much of a gel person...though I have a few that I do like. With gels, since they are such a huge dose of carbs in my stomach, I tend to take them every 45 minutes or so.

However, with the gummies I usually pop 2 every even mile.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    That sounds just about right to me... that gives you ~0.75 miles to eat a couple chews and drink a Coke, in case you need more carbs. Do you do this during the work day, too, or just on the long runs?
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Now that I've found one I like and doesn't give me GI issues, Im way happy with VFuel. but, I only use them every 45 min or so, or if I'm hungry, and only during long races. I don't use them that frequently during training runs, if at all, or during short races. (half marathon or shorter) I do love the burst of energy!
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Lol is this for real? I NEVER use gels, shots or anything. Just gaterade or other electro light drinks.. Running my first 50k this weekend, plan on eating nothing. I think the most "gels" I've had was during my first marathon I had 2.
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    During beyond- the-marathon distances people will need continued glycogen, if not GUs then something. They usually have boiled potatoes, cookies, fruit, and other such food. Ultra runners can often eat just about anything. Also cravings for somethings and dislike for other things become more prominent. I always like watermelon, bananas, oranges and apples. Fig newtons and peanut butter sandwiches are at some races.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I don't use them in training at all. If you continue to introduce carbs that are easy to process, the body will continue to use them first and never become more efficient at using fat stores for energy.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I hope you're not serious about a gel every mile. That would probably start being painful after 8 or 9 miles. For nearly every runner, 1 gel every 30 minutes is about the max they can actually metabolize.

Victoria, you will probably need to eat more than just gatorade if you try to do a 100-miler. As NorthCountryDreamer says , you will need to take in some solid foods.
  • vmclach
    Options
    Victoria, you will probably need to eat more than just gatorade if you try to do a 100-miler. As NorthCountryDreamer says , you will need to take in some solid foods.

There goes my dream of running fasted for 100 milers :P haha I know.. I will probably have to start eating even for my 50 :-/ but I definately will not be choosing gels as my food of choice :D
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I've had a lot of success taking gels every mile on my long runs.
    A gel ever mile must be a typo. Those things are 100 calories a pack.
    I would puke if I ate one every mile.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Victoria take a look at this: http://www.skratchlabs.com/collections/food/products/feed-zone-portables
    Very good alternatives to gels.
  • tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Options
    That seems like a lot of gel!! I personally like them for long runs. But I have a third of a gel after one hour of running (~5 miles) and then the other third after thirty minutes and the other third after thirty minutes, etc. I have wonky blood sugar though so I have to have something more than just water or electrolyte drinks.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Gels don't agree with me. I prefer the Stinger gummies or Power Bar gummies. Even then, I try to limit when I use them now that I know I can tolerate them.

Sometimes I can swing 15 miles without the need for anything but water. On my last 20 mile training run I started to feel pretty hungry by mile 8 so I had 3 power bar gummies. I had another 3 at mile 12 and 2 more at mile 18.

I couldn't imagine eating something every mile.
  • vmclach
    Options
    Victoria take a look at this: http://www.skratchlabs.com/collections/food/products/feed-zone-portables

Oh yum!!! Those look really good
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    EVERY mile? I can't imagine how much you spend on gels then!
    I usually have a chew-gummy thing every 2-3 miles starting between mile 3 and 5. Just enough to gimme a bit of a boost near the end of the long run when I'm tired. If I tried to eat something every mile, I'd puke!
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

OMG - LOVE LOVE LOVE Feed Zone Portables!

I have made a handful of recipes out of this and they are pretty awesome and delicious and they "stay together" in my pack. YUM! I have some of the black bean mole pies in my freezer.

The kids like to take them for field hockey as well.

I can't stand gels. Cannot. You absolutely can run ultras on completely solid food. Cookies are good. Twizzlers are good. Donuts are good. There's some skill involved in learning to eat and digest solid food, but you can pick it up. Your "guts" have a nervous system that is capable of some small amount of learning, and you just basically need to slowly teach your gut that yes, even though we are running, don't shut the works down because a pizza is coming.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I have the Feed Zone Portables book. Another vote for it - I really like the recipes. I prefer to fuel as naturally as possible, but for my long runs I do use oranges, bananas and honey stinger gels or chews. I usually stick to taking in a food or gel every 4.5 - 5 miles for the long runs. I can generally run about 12 miles with just water. Half marathons I will have one gel for a little extra boost in the last 5 miles.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'll take Clif Gels (the only gels I like) on long road runs (starting around mile 8ish, then every 45 minutes or so), but prefer more solid food on trails runs such as gummies, candy (snickers are good), and even saltine crackers. I've found that since I'm mixing walking in with running on trails, I don't have any issues eating solid food.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I have a little mini collection of gels that I've grabbed during races but I don't use them. For my early morning runs I like to run fasted. I've never felt a need for them when running a half marathon although now that I think of it, it might help. I want to finish a half in two hours or less. Of course when running longer than a half marathon I think you should be eating something. The one thing that turns me off running a full marathon is that I know I would run of out gas. Meaning I'd have to stop and eat something just to continue or have something I could pop in like the gels and gummies I've been hearing about.

Out of curiosity...Is it possible to run a full marathon without any gels, gummies, food, etc.?
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity...Is it possible to run a full marathon without any gels, gummies, food, etc.?

Depends on how long you'll take to finish, but yes, it certainly is possible.
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Meaning I'd have to stop and eat something

No, you run and eat at the same time.

But they used to do marathons with no calories and no water even, back in the olden days! Or they'd take in calories in the form of flat coca cola (still good).