6 months of menapause...

Options
Crissie3255
Crissie3255 Posts: 16 Member
I have been going thru menapause for about the last 6 months......the sleeplessness , the night sweats, the anxious feelings.........I felt tired all the time and could Not be bothered to exercise (not like me).........I could eat a horse most days and still felt hungry.
Some days I felt as if I "was away with the fairies"........very odd.
After several visits to the doctor and being on ESTRADOT AND EFEXOR.....which worked up to a point.. I am now taking PRISTIQ AND PREMARIN, one tablet a day each. It seems to be working better. I feel more like my old self. I still have the odd day of "weird" , but less and less often. I still struggling to keep the "munchies" at bay, but this is a fight which I will NOT give up.
keep SMILING:happy: AND KEEP POSITIVE, Crissie

Replies

• AnniesChart
    AnniesChart Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm eight months into this "lovely transition"-and around January it seems like I gained 15 pounds overnight! I never had issues with weight gain prior to this. I join MFP to try and get back into some of my clothes that no longer fit. Like you, the fatigue makes exercising a real challenge. I was hoping to find a few others on here that might understand this craziness. Thanks for starting the group! ;-)
  • gloverpm
    gloverpm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the hot sweats and sleeplessness in particular, for the past year or so, and I am so over it. Have just gone to Estradot and hoping for improvement. I have always been able to eat what I like pretty much, but no longer. Now my clothes are snug and that just makes me feel even more down. :ohwell:
  • tam6van
    tam6van Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. My worst side effect are the night sweats (and the oh so attractive extra sproinging facial hair on my chin????)! I've been going through this phase for well over a year. The night sweats worsen dependant on what I eat/drink before bed. (Wine is bad for extra sweating and lack of sleep). The weight is semi problematic (I've always disliked my belly....so that hasn't changed). I've out on about 5 extra lbs I'd like to get rid of. I'm not on medication for menopause and would rather not if possible. I'm looking forward to hearing of your experiences so far.
  • chellamia
    chellamia Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I am 44 and going through the menopause thing early. I had a hysterectomy about 5 years ago and I guess my ovaries have just decided to go caput. I have noticed the weight gain and the sluggish feeling grrrr . It seemed like I could eat just one meal off plan and gain five lbs over night. I guess I have been struggling with this for the past cpl of years and finally decided to go get checked out. I Sure enough not producing any hormones. I have been put on the Vivelle dot and 100 mg of progesterone.
    I am hoping that the hormones will help me feel like myself again.
  • stephnerR
    stephnerR Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Shoot - I'm right there with you ladies but I'm only 48 - I hope my night sweats do not last for too many more years! (I started having night sweats about a year ago.) In addition to the symptoms already mentioned by all of you, I am also having memory issues. Some days I cannot remember basic words. For instance, last week I was telling a coworker about a smoothie I had for breakfast. I could not (for the life of me) remember the word "spinach"! (seriously) I also have issues when drinking a lot of water (if you know what I mean). I dd not know menopause contributed to that wonderfulness too! I dislike medication of any type (even aspirin) so I will be trying exercise and diet for now.
  • Always_Belle
    Always_Belle Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Ugh..I have noticed a change in my cycle but I don't know if it's menopause induced or due to stress, which I've had a fair amount for the past five months. Regardless, my mother was completely done by 41 and so I believe I'm well on my way. If I can learn and share along the way, I'm willing to do so. :)
  • claudie08
    claudie08 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!! I've been going through this for about 2 years now. At first, I told my doctor that I was having symptoms such as my moods going crazy and missing a cycle (thought I had a pregnancy scare there at first!!), but when she got my lab results, everything looked normal. Then one day I got extremely dizzy, worse than a hangover. I didn't know what was happening to me. Come to find out that I have vertigo, another side-affect of menopause. Now, I have to take meclizine 2-3 times a day, and one of the side-affects of the drug is dizziness.

The meds works pretty well, but there are times when the dizziness still creeps up (sometimes with a headache and nausea) and the only thing I can do it keep my head down for a day or so and to watch my balance.

As far as weight goes...I've had a life-long battle with the bulge, yo-yo dieting, you name it, and at this stage in my life, it's more difficult than EVER!
  • richo59
    richo59 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am 55 and have been having some symptoms, but nothing too drastic. My last period was 12 months ago (except for a bit of light spotting). I have had some hot flashes and night sweats, but they seem to come and go. Exercising helps keep them at bay. My main problem is also weight gain around the lower body, especially the tummy. And it is HARD to shift. I really wanted to avoid medication(even though my mother swore by HRT). I have been learning meditation and relaxation, and will be doing a short course in stress management and anxiety relief next month. Hopefully that will help me cope with the moods and munchies. Hopefully losing the weight and toning up will also improve my self esteem and sex drive. Bring it on!!!!
  • Sadie1sue
    Sadie1sue Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies. I don't understand the weight gain. It seems like I am barely eating any calories and am somewhat active and BOOM 10 pounds came on like overnight. Night sweats and Hot Flashes.... Is there a way to make it stop??? HELP
  • Sadie1sue
    Sadie1sue Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Annie, it feels like it was overnight, right? Pants I could wear just a few weeks ago are not fitting at all. And the calorie intake is at 1300 - 1400 calories daily. It just doesn't make sense. And it is just not fair! :( Going to have to ramp up exercise and hope that it can combat those pounds that are coming on!
  • richo59
    richo59 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    And I thought it was just me. I think I have come out the other side and still pretty sane. I can relate to the forgetfullness though.
    I am also a yoyo dieter and have lost and gained the same 5 kgs for years. Now I am finding it extremely hard to shift the weight. I have also bough new jeans and after 2 weeks I cant get them done up. I have had to resort to buying a bigger size, which I hate.
    I have also noticed that I have consistant niggling injuries as I get older. My mind is telling me to up my exercise, but the body is falling apart.
    So back to the calorie counting. I am determined to get back into those jeans.
  • clong426
    clong426 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I am going through exactly what all of you went through, and its so depressing!!! Please, please tell me something, anything that made a difference in the daily weight gain?